• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

Tuesday night:

tomato tart with garlic-basil crust

potato and arugula salad

white wine, bay leaf, garlic, parsley steamed clams

french style baguette

dessert:

popsicles

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Monday:

Hiyayakko, topped with crab roe, slivered scallions and grated daikon.

Chilled soba noodles, topped with oshinko, minced shiso leaves and furikake.

Sliced poached chicken breasts, with a dab of spicy bean paste on the side.

Steamed broccoli.

Pu-erh tea.

Soba

Tuesday (the pasta's cooking while I'm typing this):

penne rigate, tossed with mashed avocado, minced Vidalia onion, diced tomato, EVOO, sea salt and lots of cracked black pepper.....just a fresh uncooked sauce.

simple green salad, w/a white wine viniagrette

Evian

Soba

Shepards pie, made with leftover smoked brisket, leftover garlic mashed potatoes, garlic, corn, peas, onions, chicken fat, stock, a bit of merlot, a bit of stock, a couple of smashed up garden tomatoes... Came out pretty well.

Took my own advice to heart and made brined, pounded thin-cut pork chops fried in a panko crust with onion-peach-sage marmalade. Very tasty.

Steamed artichokes with aoili on the side.

Unibroue La Fin du Monde in a Duvel glass for me, a nice half bottle of 1997 Felsina Chianti for my GF.

fanatic...

Tomato water with basil oil.

Tiny baby white potatoes, double-fried, mixed with fresh-shelled peas (about the size of the potatoes), scallions, parsley, creme fraiche.

Slices of grilled ribsteak with chevre crumbled atop, much fleur de sel, guajillo chile oil around.

Plum tomato cups with fava puree and chopped Korean green chile kimchi inside.

Key lime granita.

Okay, I'm woefully behind in my thread reading, having just now caught up. I regret to learn of your gastrointestinal distress, paul o'; I regret having read of the Unfortunate Incident of the Toasted Mouse; however, I do not regret noting that the Key Lime granita is the closest thing to a dessert I've seen Jin prepare! I'm fair to swooning over this revelation . . .

used two new and one old recipe

baked halibut with sage butter

pasta salad with sundried tomatoes, minced shallots, organic tomatoes, salad peppers, and capers

green beans with sesame sauce

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

At my best girlfriend's house for some sunning, toenail-painting, and talk.

Cooked up about 2 lbs. of tasty bacon that her boyfriend brought home from Up North.

Grilled a few thick slices of challah.

As-good-as-you-can-get-them-here-now tomatoes.

Lettuce.

Homemade mayo.

=

B.L.T.

And Bells Oberon. Naturally. :wink:

Noise is music. All else is food.

Canada Day outdoors with friends:

Seviche (wild striped bass, lime and grapefruit juice, thinly sliced red onion, cilantro and halved grape tomatoes) on mixed lettuces

Jerk chicken (used davidscooking's recipe, eG #314 -- excellent)

Grilled zucchini

Rice with red kidney beans

Pineapple and cherry clafoutis with coconut ice cream

Washed down with cava and a couple of rosés, the better of which was from Château Morgues de Grès (Costières-de-Nîmes). The hot jerk (three habaneros) went best with beer. Befitting the holiday, a late-harvest riesling from Ontario's Château des Charmes accompanied the dessert -- superfluous but the thought was nice (the wine, too).

Tomato Tart with Basil-Garlic Crust

Corn Salad

New Potato Salad w/Basil Mayonnaise

except for the corn salad that sounds incredibly like the dinner I have half prepared at the moment.

Is the tomato tart by chance from the Italian Vegetarian by Jack Bishop? I have that dough chilling at this very moment.

My potato salad has an arugula mayo instead of basil......

creepy :blink:

You're right on the source of the Tomato Tart. I love that recipe. As does everyone who eats it. -- we rarely have leftovers :sad:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Rigatoni with a smoky raw plum tomato, black truffle, and parsley sauce. (Smoked onions were pureed and stained as part of the sauce.)

"Ceci-soisse" (creamed chickpea soup made with mire poix, chicken stock, etc) garnished with crushed toasted almonds and lemon zest.

Roasted yu choy and porcini mushrooms with balsmico and parmesan slivers.

Rack of lamb with rosemary, Dijon, and juniper berries.

Slaw of grated fennel and shaved poblano chiles with key lime vinaigrette.

edit:

Whoops. Soup was chilled.

Edited by Jinmyo (log)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Key lime granita
Slaw of grated fennel and shaved poblano chiles with key lime vinaigrette

Wonderful sounding menus, Jinmyo. But where in the Great White North do you find key limes? I've never seen the genuine article north of NYC, and there only rarely. The much ballyhooed Meyer lemons are equally scarce in my experience.

Tonight it's:

Curried Pan-fried Talapia w/Mango Chutney

Coconut Rice

Maybe some melon for dessert

"Ceci-soisse" (creamed chickpea soup made with mire poix, chicken stock, etc) garnished with crushed toasted almonds and lemon zest.

Sounds great. Would you share the recipe? I'm always looking for more chickpea uses.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I have been in a cooking funk for the past week and dinners have been reflecting it.

We are in that last week before payday and have nothing in the house (except potatoes, onions, celery, nagaimo-mountain potato, and a molding head of cabbage)

Last night:

fusilli with carmelized onions and anchovies

red kidney beans and celery salad with about 10 cherry tomatoes from the garden

dessert:

popsicles

Herb-crusted salmon over caramelized onions and sauteed spinach, with a peppery-raspberry sauce veloute

Three tomatoless pita pizzas: artichoke hearts and mozz, caramelized onions and parmegiano-reggiano, sauteed mushrooms and herbed goat cheese

The sauce was inspired by an IM conversation with Jason Perlow, who asked me if I make more sauces now that I've gone through culinary school than I did before enrolling. I don't, but I do know how. The sauce itself was all right but nothing special.

carswell, I have four quarts of frozen key lime juice, portioned into about ice cube sizes. I'm very interested in the flavour.

bloviatrix, It's just a mire poix brought past a sweat in EVOO, season with kosher salt and white pepper, add chicken stock, bring to a good simmer, add tarragon and a few bayleafs tied inside leek greens. While letting cool down puree chickpeas. Remove herb bundle, puree stock and mire poix. Strain through a chinois. Strain chickpeas through a tammis. Combine, reheat. Add Dijon mustard, reduced sherry, salt and white pepper to taste.

The soup just be thin but velvety.

It's also a good foundation for serving grilled lamb or shrimp, raddichio or mushrooms. Or just some garlic croutons and a chevre cream with some lovage for a nice lunch.

Nice hot in winter, chilled in summer.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Braised Lamb Shanks

Creamy Mushroom Polenta

Pan-Wilted Greens

1989 Chapelle d'Ausone

Molten Chocolate Cakes with Raspberries and Creme Anglais

1988 Maculan Torcolata

fanatic...

Finally decided dinner should be more than a hot dog at the turn (even as wonderful as the dogs at my course are!), so last night my bro and I cooked; ground chuck burgers (bloody as hell) with carmelized onions, twice-baked oven fries and some salad to mop up the blood with.

Then I did what any good older brother would do - left him the dishes and got nine in :)

Todd McGillivray

"I still throw a few back, talk a little smack, when I'm feelin' bulletproof..."

Classic rabbit/duck terrine (rabbit reserved when I made rabbit roulade earlier this week), garnished with seared duck breast, shiitakes, and pistachios. Cooling now for tomorrow, with toast points and an orange-bourbon glaze.

Edited to reflect, that would be, er, shiitakes.

Edited by paul o' vendange (log)

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

Thursday dinner:

tomato and lemon thyme risotto, mussels steamed with white wine and lots of garlic, sauce thickened with butter and the whole pan, juices and all poured over the risotto

hot potato, green bean and tuna (good canned stuff) salad with a grainy mustard dressing

dessert:

cherries, a big bowl of them

just sitting down with a glass of iced lillet rouge with a twist of lime

john left for a concert/camping and i'm single for the next two nights so i'm making stuff he wouldn't touch:

resting in the fridge till i get the grill cleaned later are:

lamb burgers to be served with onion pita, a cumin tsatsiki sauce and tomato concasse

mixed greens with olives, peppers and feta dressed with a lemon vinaigrette

dessert is watermelon chunks macerating in a prosecco - hmmmm may just chuck those guys in the freezer then the blender

i already have my eye on a nice piece of tuna with which to make a grilled tuna nicoise salad for dinner tomorrow

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites