• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

Friday night:

My buffalo mozz pizza mess.  (See that thread.)

You mean this thread?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Pan seared KC strips with mushroom risotto (made with my own venison stock!), asparagus and focaccia. Cheap summer swill wine.

Chad

KC strips?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Pan seared KC strips with mushroom risotto (made with my own venison stock!), asparagus and focaccia. Cheap summer swill wine.

Chad

KC strips?

Yup, Kansas City strips, known elsewhere as New York strip steaks. Call 'em that here in Kansas (where they were ostensibly first served) and you'll get your butt whipped. :rolleyes:

Damn yummy, too -- USDA prime Sterling Silver steaks pan seared in a rocket-hot cast iron skillet for 30 seconds per side, finished in a 500 degree oven for another 2 minutes per side for a lovely medium rare.

The mushroom risotto turned out beautifully, especially for my first try. I'd never made risotto before. Weird, no? I used dried shitake, porcini and morels from Earthy Delights. Yes, I am a man of loose morels. Anyway, the mushrooms were rehydrated in the simmering stock, giving it an even richer flavor. I left them whole rather than dicing them just because it looked cooler that way.

Chad

(edited to clarify that KC stands for Kansas City)

Edited by Chad (log)

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

Chad -

Did you hunt the venison?

Nope, the stock was made from bones purchased frozen at the local farmer's market. The couple that sells them -- and all sort of other venison cuts -- raise Fallow deer on a ranch. I don't hunt, but have had friends who do hunt keep me supplied with venison in the past. It's great in chili, lending a slightly sweet flavor.

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

Agreed. My wife and I were blessed for a time to live in Wisconsin, on 60 acres, amid oak, corn and soybeans. The deer there were beyond belief. Contrasted with the poor animals who live in the U.P. of Michigan (where my wife's family hails from and where we often go), many of the deer live on scrub pine to survive the long winter. Not always by any stretch, but at times kind of like eating a "Rack du Pine Sol."

Your risotto sounds great.

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

friday:

filets on the grill

salad w/ homemade vinagrette

parslied new potatos

1999 hess estate cab

saturday (post son's ballgames):

burgers on the grill (w/ onion/garlic powders, cayenne and worsterchire)

potato salad (used the leftover new potatos from night b4)

2000 sarget (gruad larose's second, and i know, i know, a zin would've been 'better', but had to try this)

sunday:

ribs, rubbed/marinated overnight, smoked for 6 hours on my new low-tech electric smoker

salad with vinagrette

baked beans

1997 rabbit ridge aventura (again, not the 'prime' match, but i needed to try this one, too!)

matt

Saturday:

Simple Romantic Dinner for two.

Sauted Lemon sole with shrimp butter, harissa flavoured cous cous and a green salad with crouton.

Slight problem with meal.

While toasting bread for crouton noticed a disgusting smell of charred meat and burn hair. Checked my self for burns, no burns. Noticed smoke pouring from toaster, very strange as toaster was only just turned on. Looked in toaster. Removed toast. Noticed one very charred and smoking mouse.

I tell wife. Wife enters loungeroom, clutching bottle of wine. Indicates her desire through locked door that I deal with mouse/toaster issue. Quotes some sub-clause in the marriage vows.

I remove mouse from toaster using tongs. OK, on closer examination I have removed its legs. Tender BBQ mouse apparently. After several attempts I remove all the mouse bits. Consider throwing 1) the toaster out; 2) Up. Toaster is an expensive wedding present and I can't afford to throw out expensive wedding gifts. Tell my self that Carbs=Death and as I shall not be eating toast again for quite some time if we keep this toaster, it will be good for my health. Turn toaster up to eleven and toast all the nasty mousiness out of toaster.

Inform wife, who after promises of G&T, opens door and questions time of dinner. I inform her that dinner is 'off' as the chef is feeling un-well.

Revised Simple Romantic Dinner for Two:

Quarter of a bottle of Grappa for myself, half a bottle of Rose d'Anjou and some nuts from my wife.

I hate mice

I hate toast

I hate toasted mice most of all.

Edited by Adam Balic (log)

On Saturday I smoked up a 10 lb brisket, a 4 lb pork shoulder, chicken wings, and a rack of pork ribs. The shoulder was the winner overall, but the brisket crust was insanely good.

Sunday morning, I made hash with the brisket, potatoes, onions, and eggs.

Sunday evening, I made a great Stroganoff with more brisket.

I just ate some brisket for lunch.

I still have over a pound of brisket.

Mmmm, brisket.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Adam, you have my sympathy. I seem to see my share of small rodents, running the gamut from intact-and-wiggling to full-on disemboweled, but a cooked small rodent takes the yuckers quotient to a whole new level.

Schielke, brisket, lovely stringy brisket, is one of my favorite cuts. A refrigerator treasure.

Last evening, the evening of a hot day, grill-roasted over mesquite half a not-big pink salmon, tail end weighing just about 3#, with a slick of olive oil and s & p. Lean, so far as salmon go, but not in the least dry, and very nice. Served somewhat later, room temp, with fresh chive-basil mayonnaise and sliced farmer's market tomatoes, LBB sourdough batard, which seems to taste better than the narrower LBB sourdough shapes.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

toasted mouse..........

will never get that image out of my head.

My husband had a meeting last night so the kids and I made cheddar cheese quesadillas with pico de gallo and guacamole.

popsicles for dessert

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Oh, Adam. FritzBrenner just told us your mouse story as we sat on the terrace and drank wine, and I had to log on and read for myself. What a trip. :sad:

As for us:

Gazpacho with basil-oil croutons

Grilled shrimp (v. simple--just lemon, EVOO, you all know the drill)

Grilled baguettes with chevre

And wine! Plonk. Plonk. Plonk.

Good to cook at home again. And: good to drink wine while cooking.

Noise is music. All else is food.

But Adam, I like toast.

Slivered baby leek "noodles" in green tea dashi (broth).

Tonkatsu pork tenderloin slices drizzled with sauce, wrapped in red leaf lettuce. (My tonkatsu sauce procedure is somewhere around page 80.)

Deep-fried chanterelles with a watercress salad.

Chinese white long grain rice with Korean seasoned black beans.

Slaw of celery root and daikon with coriander, chiles, and lime.

Ten kinds of kimchi.

Clean out the fridge night.

Chicken liver crostini with bacon, madeira and shiitake mushrooms.

Sauteed chicken breasts with tarragon/leftover rabbit sauce (from last night);

Bread, brie and gruyere.

asparagus

Pommes anna.

The rest ( :angry: ) of the Chateau de Pez.

More of the lavender-peach sorbet.

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

Over the weekend, I hosted a birthday meal for one of my friends, so I made some of her favorite foods. The menu:

White Gazpacho

Poached Salmon

Tomato Tart with Basil-Garlic Crust

Corn Salad

New Potato Salad w/Basil Mayonnaise

Ricotta Custard

Blackberry Sorbet

One of our guests was a 20 month old. You should have seen her devour the tart. She grabbed it with both hands, thrust it - crust first - into her mouth and inhaled it. Once she finished the first piece, she grabbed her mother's piece.

The best part of the meal - the leftovers. Lunch today was salmon w/basil mayonnaise.

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Tomato Tart with Basil-Garlic Crust

Corn Salad

New Potato Salad w/Basil Mayonnaise

except for the corn salad that sounds incredibly like the dinner I have half prepared at the moment.

Is the tomato tart by chance from the Italian Vegetarian by Jack Bishop? I have that dough chilling at this very moment.

My potato salad has an arugula mayo instead of basil......

creepy :blink:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Since my boyfriend is in NYC via Toronto, I have been practicing chickpea flour pizza.

Last night:

Corn on the cob

Mache with balsamic reduction

Chickpea flour pizza under the broiler with chevre

To drink: one bottle of Hacker Pschoor

Braised beef short ribs in wine. Slowly simmered in the oven for a couple of hours until tender (from the Babbo book). Served on top of Risotto Milanese and topped with pine nut gremolata (toasted pine nuts, lemon zest and pasley).

After dinner homemade Limoncello

Dessert: Assorted French pastries (Naploleons, eclaire, creme brulee tarts)

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Since my boyfriend is in NYC via Toronto, I have been practicing chickpea flour pizza.

Last night:

Corn on the cob

Mache with balsamic reduction

Chickpea flour pizza under the broiler with chevre

To drink:  one bottle of Hacker Pschoor

nerissa--

For one?

I love those dinners for one.

EDIT: do you buy your mache at Whole Foods?

:wink:

Edited by NeroW (log)

Noise is music. All else is food.

Yeah, me too. You can eat/drink as much as you want. In front of the telly or read at the table.

Yup, get robbed at Whole Paycheck for mache at 4.99 a bag. Also find it at my local coop for 5.49.