• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

Peanut butter sandwiches in the car on the way home from the cabin. I should add that lunch was fresh fish (walleye), caught by Peter (7), Paul (45) and grandpa John (60-something) flying into a little lake. The fish was eaten about 1/2 hour after being caught. It was Peter's first fly-in fishing trip in a float plane. I cooked inside, and we ate on the dock, in the water, wearing bathing suits.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Hey, laurel, what's CSA? huh.gif

CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture. CSA's are usually associated with a specific farm or with a farmer's market. Basically, you prepay for the season, and every week you get a big box of whatever is fresh. The one I get is the Pike Place Market CSA in Seattle.

Peanut butter sandwiches in the car on the way home from the cabin.  I should add that lunch was fresh fish (walleye), caught by Peter (7), Paul (45) and grandpa John (60-something) flying into a little lake.  The fish was eaten about 1/2 hour after being caught.  It was Peter's first fly-in fishing trip in a float plane.  I cooked inside, and we ate on the dock, in the water, wearing bathing suits.

:wub:

Noise is music. All else is food.

Yesterday was a beautiful day here in Chicago.

Cut a lecture with 3 friends and skipped off to Whole Paycheck.  One got Beginnings, I got Middles, and the other got Ends.  We separated, purchased our respective ingredients, and met outside afterwards.

Our motto: quick and easy.  Leave lots of time for illicit Monday afternoon beer-drinking.

For Middles, I picked up 4 skinless fillets of salmon (can't get enough of them bastards lately), some fingerlings, Vidalia onions, red bell peppers, PB mushrooms, zucchini, garlic, fresh rosemary, etc.  Grilled them "hobo style" (OK, OK: en papillote).

Friend #1 (Beginnings) picked up baguettes, cream cheese, tomato and red onion, along with Charlie Trotter's (delicious) Darjheeling Tea and Ginger Smoked Salmon, and another package of a traditional Scandinavian gravlax.  I would have been content with just this.

Friend #2 (Ends) picked up strawberries, Whole Paycheck bakery pound cakes, mascarpone cheese, lemons, and a bottle of (I think) Merlot for a bogarted kind of wine-sauced strawberry shortcake.  I would have been content with just this, too.

Much beer.

A few bottles of nameless white wine.

Sounds like my kind of afternoon. I have been looking for CT's Citrus cured Salmon ever since I had some of Awbrig's at Maggie's party... SO good. I think I am going to have get me some of that next time at WF.

Our frig broke on Sat...our landlord could have cared less. Just bought a frig... bliss. Will be cooking tonight, but last night we went to Bite. For app, had goat cheese wrapped in grilled eggplant plated with tomatoes macerated in balsamic. We both got the veggie burrito with chicken. We got a plum and walnut tart for dessert. Bite is BYOB so I brought a bottle of cheapo Hogue Syrah in case we didn't finish it. But we did.

For dinner tonight, making chapattis and Dal hyderdaad style with organic spinach. Will eat with pickle and yogurt. Can't wait.

Weds dinner:

Spent the day hanging out in Tokyo with a friend so had a very simple dinner

saba (mackeral) nanbanzuke (escabeche) --made the day before, always tastes better that way

simmered kabocha

edamame

Japanese rice

red wine rakkyo

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

have been looking for CT's Citrus cured Salmon ever since I had some of Awbrig's at Maggie's party... SO good.  I think I am going to have get me some of that next time at WF.

nerissa,

Almost thought you were Awbrig, looking at your avatar!

I haven't tried the citrus-cured yet. Next time, next time . . .

Sucks about your fridge. I need a new one too. Mine smells weird, no matter what I do :sad:

Noise is music. All else is food.

I had breakfast for dinner tonight, as Mrs. Varmint was out and I wanted to use up some somewhat old potatoes. Thus, hash browns with garlic, onion, thyme, and rosemary. Plus 2 fried eggs. And a Negra Modelo.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Stir Fried Cellophane Noodles with Baby Thai Eggplants, Green Beans and Beef:

beefnoodles.jpg

Extreme Thai Egglplant Closeup:

thaieggplants.jpg

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Actually, full sized, they are about as big as golf balls. They've been cut into quarters -- thats a macro closeup pic of them.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Wednesday:

broiled skinless boneless chicken breasts (EVOO, lime salt, cracked black pepper)

roasted Italian peppers, onions and tomatoes

steamed broccoli

coconut chatni

couscous

iced green tea with honey

Midnight snack: cottage cheese with a couple of slices of broiled paneer, with more coconut chatni.

Soba

thursday dinner:

mahi mahi with a very heavy on the ginger teriyaki sauce

zucchini sauteed with sesame and soy

simmered kabocha

cucumber and celery sticks with a miso-mayo dip and just plain miso (for me)

Japanese rice

Dessert:

Costco apple pie

thursday dinner:

simmered kabocha

Japanese rice

Dessert:

Costco apple pie

Oh, your killin' me!! What's kabocha? I've heard about it but don't know any details about preparation. Please enlighten me.

Stir Fried Cellophane Noodles with Baby Thai Eggplants, Green Beans and Beef:

jason, that looks fantastic. care to share the process?

i made sloppy joes tonite. from Manwich ®. mmmmmm.

Not much to it. Clear cellophane noodles are put in a bowl of warm water to open. Beef round is sliced and cut up into strips, wokked up in some oil with some soy and a shot of fish sauce, removed from wok. Veggies are sauteed up, then combined in with the beef and tossed up with the noodles with some PAD THAI SAUCE. 1 Egg is beaten and added, toss up, Eat.

thursday dinner:

simmered kabocha

Japanese rice

Dessert:

Costco apple pie

Oh, your killin' me!! What's kabocha? I've heard about it but don't know any details about preparation. Please enlighten me.

it is a hard Japanese squash, dark green on the outside and orange on the inside.

this is how I cook it:

http://recipes.egullet.com/recipes/r339.html

Monday:

falafel rolled in lettuce leaves with cucumber-yogurt, chopped tomatoes, jalapeno peppers

feta salad with tomatoes, red onion, peppers, parsley

greek olive mix with spices

homemade pita bread

dessert:

rolled cake filled with raspberry cream (gift from a friend)

Kris, where did you get your pita recipe? I've been wanting to make them at home.

Tonight's dinner (the chicken that I wanted to cook didn't defrost in time, so had to improvise):

Salad of white beans, tuna, cucumber, vidalia onion, fresh dill, EVOO, white wine vinegar

Steamed broccoli

Bread and butter

trip to the "cow store" (what my four-year-old calls Ben & Jerry's) for a scoop of chunky monkey. Had never tried it - not my favorite flavor :sad:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Wild mushroom risotto with saffron, served with sliced grilled chicken and cotto ham.

risotto.jpg

At home by myself tonight... had a spicy bagel from Lenny's Bagels (I actually like Lenny's better than H&H -- the bagels are denser and seem more traditional to me) with St. Andre cheese, a thick slice of red onion and paper thin slices of radish. Sauteed asparagus dressed in vinegar and evoo on the side. All veggies from the Green Market at Union Square.

--