• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

Change of plans - all FL. Got some nice black sea bass from Fox & Obel, going to try FL's black bass with saffron-vanilla sauce, spinach. Mussels (from mussel stock used in saffron-vanilla sauce) with sauce mignonette or sauce gribiche.

Dessert - candied fennel, rhubarb confit, and a (bought) strawberry-basil-vodka sorbet.

Edited by paul o' vendange (log)

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

Dinner tonight for dad...........

"Sous vide deluxe with a side of roasted sous vide":

16 hour @ 130f temp sous vide lamb tendon soup and slow roasted lamb loin sous vide (220f for 2 1/2 hours)

Future Food - our new television show airing 3/30 @ 9pm cst:

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tv/future-food/

Hope you enjoy the show! Homaro Cantu

Chef/Owner of Moto Restaurant

www.motorestaurant.com

Friday:

went out to an all you can eat yakiniku, sushi, ramen, salad, various main dishes and dessert place :blink:

Saturday:

very simple early summer dinner of

panzanella with tomatoes, red onion, lots of basil and oregano

potato and onion fritatta

dessert: chocolate pudding

Sunday:

per husband's request:

dutchoven (outdoors) with a whole chicken, stuffed with garlic cloves and lemon, potatoes, carrots, onions and cabbage, all cooked until delicious :biggrin:

corn on the cob

dessert: lamingtons

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

On Father's Day, sometimes you just need to revert to the classics: Prime Rib, rare. Baked potatoes. Sour cream. baby potabellos sauteed in garlic, butter and lemon. Figs, Maytag blue and store bought lemon sorbet. Lotsa good cabernet. Easy, delicious, traditional and fulfilling.

Malachi, something I got while working in California was pineapple sage, yet (admittedly, without digging too deep), have not seen it since - this was the sage I used in the above-mentioned rabbit braise, and it was out of this world. Ring a bell from your neck of the woods?

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

Malachi, something I got while working in California was pineapple sage, yet (admittedly, without digging too deep), have not seen it since - this was the sage I used in the above-mentioned rabbit braise, and it was out of this world. Ring a bell from your neck of the woods?

Apologize to all for the double posts - not sure why this is happening, nothing obvious coming up. Not trying for double bandwidth, my hot wind's enough once around, to be sure!

-Paul

rib eye with ancho chili rub.

salad of cucumber, red onion, rice wine vinegar dressing.

grilled asparagus.

grilled mushrooms.

the rub turned out a bit too assertive in my estimation. i'm a bit of a steak purist, though. perhaps a bit less next time.

Longanisa (philippine pineapple sausage)

Savoy cabbage with chile-garlic sauce

Tap water

Last night was mystery meal. One of those packages from the Asian market where the only thing translated is the ingredients and you have to improvise via the illustrations. Japanese, in this case. Some sort of creamy crab sauce. Mixed it with steamed asparagus atop sticky rice.

Actually, oddly enough I just swapped cutting with a friend and am rooting some Pineapple Sage right now!

Her's makes it through the winter here -- I'm hoping it will be equally hardy for me and won't end up being an annual.

I love the scent of it - and have used it often in the past added right at the end of cooking or have bruised it and used it to garnish.

fanatic...

paul 'o and others--

"blanche de chambly" is the greatest belgian white-beer ever! so mild yet tart, mmm.

today i made turkey-frame/lentil soup with cumin and tons of green onions, simmered in rice cooker (alternate uses for rice cooker). threw the outer leaves and trimmings of 4 artichokes in there when it was at the "stock" phase (drained, removed), so it got mighty aromatic real fast mmm...

also made "flan" of pie pastry, peaches, black-currant jam for sweets-loving boyfriend/roomie.

:biggrin:

gus

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

Friday night:

- Rabbit loin wrapped around sauteed scallions.

- pasta (mini- lasagna) with a sauce of braised rabbit legs and shiitake mushrooms.

- suteed leeks

- green salad with julienned red peppers, diced cucumbers and duck confit

Sunday night (Father's Day):

- lamb curry

- basmati rice

- steamed green beans

- chipatas

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

Saturday:

sushi and eel don from a local mediocre sushi palace

mango sorbet mochi (don't ask, but it wasn't as horrible as it sounds)

green tea

Evian

-------------

Sunday:

hot soba noodles topped with shredded duck, grated daikon and minced scallions (I got the duck from a Cantonese takeout palace in my neighborhood); regular (non-pink) pickled ginger on the side

chilled silken tofu, topped with minced scallions, crispy shallots and hijiki

gohan

oshinko

green tea

Haagen Dasz (mint chocolate chip) for a late night snack

Soba

Friday

nama harumaki (vegetable summer rolls)

chow fun with fermented black beans

cherries for dessert

Saturday - a nice warm day, so a light (leftover) dinner

more summer rolls

sugar snap peas with mint and lemon zest

Japanese rice

more cherries

Sunday - big lunch, small dinner

salad, salad, and more salad - arugula with pear, walnuts, endive, smoked gouda

and again, cherries

Monday:

falafel rolled in lettuce leaves with cucumber-yogurt, chopped tomatoes, jalapeno peppers

feta salad with tomatoes, red onion, peppers, parsley

greek olive mix with spices

homemade pita bread

dessert:

rolled cake filled with raspberry cream (gift from a friend)

Straightforward daube provencale; with a really beefy Bandol (La Bastide Blanche - and I do mean beefy, as in beef broth, hide, and smoke; a nice layer of liquorice, though, with herb - lavender?).

-Paul

Saturday:

Roasted tomato tart (from F&W June issue). tomatoes roasted in garlic, EVOO, thyme, sage, S&P. then peeled and baked in a tart shell with creme fresh and Gruyere cheese. What a great combination. Served it with a nice green salad.

fbe83ef8.jpg

Sunday:

for father's day I had my in-laws over:

-Lebanese inspired cheese pies. little half moon shaped pies stuffed with a mixture of swiss, muenster and farmer's cheese along with sauteed sweet onions, cayenne and pomegranate molasses.

-Grilled butterflied cornish game hens. marinated in lime zest, lemon zest, lemon juice , garlic n cumin and olive oil.

-grilled mushroom, vidalia and potato salad in a vinegary mustard dressing and lots of parsley.

-Dessert: Mocha layered marsala Semifreddo. A very delicated marsala Semifreddo made of three layers, plain, with chocolate shavings , and espresso flavored.

Monday:

the best leftovers ever :smile:

and I found two nice green tomatoes in my fridge that I had bought a few days ago and sort of forgot about them. So "Fried green Tomatoes" with caper mustard sauce became a scrumtious appetizer.

The tomatoes were sliced about 1/4 inch thick, seasoned, coated in flour, dipped in egg wash and then in a mixture of 1/2 ritz and 1/2 saltine crackers. then fried until nice and brown.

fried tomatoes recipe

Dessert: baked plantain with white cheese and guava paste (a traditional Colombian dessert from my wife's repertoire)

FM

edited to fix img and add recipe link

Edited by FoodMan (log)

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

No inspiration for Monday night, so I bought a chicken and some tortillas. Finally ended up serving:

- thinly-sliced, sauteed, skin-on chicken breast --with salsa fresca, guacamole, and a killer homemade hot sauce-- in tortillas

- pan-grilled asparagus

- spinach salad.

Served the wings as appetizers, threw the caracass in the freezer with the other for stock, fed the liver to the cat, and saved the legs for another night.

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

Tuesday dinner:

Lebanese keftas served with onion and parsley salad, lettuce, and homemade pitas

green bean, white asparagus, feta, and Greek olive salad

the keftas, onion salad, and the feta salad from yesterday were all from Mediterranean Street Food by Anissa Helou, an absolutely incredible book!

Yesterday was a beautiful day here in Chicago.

Cut a lecture with 3 friends and skipped off to Whole Paycheck. One got Beginnings, I got Middles, and the other got Ends. We separated, purchased our respective ingredients, and met outside afterwards.

Our motto: quick and easy. Leave lots of time for illicit Monday afternoon beer-drinking.

For Middles, I picked up 4 skinless fillets of salmon (can't get enough of them bastards lately), some fingerlings, Vidalia onions, red bell peppers, PB mushrooms, zucchini, garlic, fresh rosemary, etc. Grilled them "hobo style" (OK, OK: en papillote).

Friend #1 (Beginnings) picked up baguettes, cream cheese, tomato and red onion, along with Charlie Trotter's (delicious) Darjheeling Tea and Ginger Smoked Salmon, and another package of a traditional Scandinavian gravlax. I would have been content with just this.

Friend #2 (Ends) picked up strawberries, Whole Paycheck bakery pound cakes, mascarpone cheese, lemons, and a bottle of (I think) Merlot for a bogarted kind of wine-sauced strawberry shortcake. I would have been content with just this, too.

Much beer.

A few bottles of nameless white wine.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Monday was dinner at Republic, while hanging out with friends in Chelsea. I can barely tolerate the noise level. (The food was ok. Noodle fusion is ok by me if I don't make a habit of it.)

Tuesday (tonight):

pan-seared calves' liver with bacon, caramelized onions and apricot-Madeira reduction

tomato, Vidalia onion and watercress salad

Poland Spring

Medjool dates and Brie for dessert

Cheers,

Soba

Sausages - lamb, red bell pepper, feta

Grill pan

No side dishes

Re Foodman's particularly tasty thread -- I saw a recipe recently for a BLT made with fried green tomatoes. And there was a bit of cayenne in the mayo. Great idea.