• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

[My stepfather also dislikes sweets and loves cheese so he is very very happy that cheese plates have become trendy.]

Leftover green beans (they were out of long) with lat suong man chinese sausages. With white rice instead of the first night's not-proper-but-healthier soba noodles because it really didn't quite work.

K hard cider.

Stewed rhubarb over plain whole milk yogurt.

Solo dinner tonight, with Socrates off to class.

Green garlic soup

Beet green and bacon omelet

Salad of lamb's lettuce, peppercress and mesclun, with olallieberry vinaigrette

Several thick slices Acme Bakery's ciabatta bread, toasted

A glass of Hemlock House red

Dessert (sorry, Jin!) of fresh strawberries with creme fraiche, and the last of Saturday night's Non-Traditional Trifle

(Whew! I did it!!)

Very nice, Xanthippe. I've never had olallieberry.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Mmm used to be able to buy ollalieberries at what was my local farmer's market some years ago, from a lady who grew 'em in her backyard. Really good. They resemble boysenberries, which also appear at farmer's markets here in Southern California sometimes.

Last evening, tonkatsu, fried panko'd pork cutlets. Sake-simmered carrot batons, spinach with the sesame sauce Torakris clued me in to making from scratch which I formerly bought in a packet. Nice rice from the cooker. Kikkoman tonkatsu sauce, still the one to beat around here.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Tuesday:

cremini mushroom salad (cremini mushrooms, arugula, endive, Parm-Reg, EVOO, lemon juice, salt and pepper, fresh oregano, Italian parsley)

pan-seared dilled salmon, with chickpeas and scallions

socca

Evian

sweet risotto with mango, roasted pineapple and mascarpone

----------

last night:

Pasta with tomatoes, thyme and pecorino

pan-seared pepper-crusted tuna steak

roasted vegetables (carrots, tomatoes, onions, peppers), tossed with frisee (EVOO, salt, white pepper)

Evian

vanilla polenta with mascarpone

Cheers,

Soba

ps. clearly I belong in the dessert camp. I'm on a "can I make it into a dessert" trip though.

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

Very nice, Xanthippe. I've never had olallieberry.

What's olallieberry?

An olallieberry is a hybrid blackberry, developed in Oregon if memory serves me correctly. It's a cross between several berries, but I can only remember two of them: loganberry and youngberry. The ones I get over on the coast are larger than typical blackberries and have less seeds. It's such a great thing to pick your own; a field trip in the fresh air, lunch afterwards at Duarte's, and you can't beat the price -- $1.25/lb as opposed to $1.50 for one of those little plastic berry baskets in the market!

The postcard announcing the start of the picking season arrived in yesterday's mail. Olalliberry cobbler, here I come!! :biggrin:

Edited by Xanthippe (log)

Olallieberry. Hmm.

Last night a friend from school made some nice ribeyes, potatoes, etc.

Pedestrian ( :rolleyes: ), but better than nothing.

This was after sitting on my porch practicing our tourne cuts for hours, so it was very welcome.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Thursday dinner:

chicken breasts marinated with basalmic vinegar, dijon, EVOO griddle pan grilled, served with

caponata (eggplant, peppers, onion, tomato, caper, green olives, red wine vinegar) sightly adapted from Jack Bishop's Italian Vegetarian

potato salad with cucumbers, red onion, black olives and LOTS of dill ---I love dill!

Japanese rice --for those who wanted it

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Leftover soba with napa cabbage, shitakes, scallions, ginger. Figured I'd turn it from a side to an entree by adding tofu but it was six months past the date so never mind. Tempted to have salami and boursin for dessert for the protein but too full right now. Two K hard ciders.

yesterday's salad of chopped tomatoes, marinated overnight in the fridge in red wine vinegar, garlic, EVOO, lots and lots of basil, s&p - today added cannellini beans, warmed, and mixed with farfalle.

vidalia onion soup with crusts of toasted baguette.

raw baby spinach with toasted almonds, walnut oil and lemon juice.

navarro correas malbec. not a bad deal for the price, but what do I know about wine.

now eating leftover baguette smeared with pesto and olive tapenade, alternately. plus more wine. maybe some strawberries later, if the mood strikes.

edit: spelling + wine=oof.

Edited by margaret (log)

at school:

Wild Mushroom Risotto

Lamb loin and mushroom duxelles and foie gras in puff pastry with red wine/veal glace/thme reduction sauce.

Cream of leek and potato soup

Penne pasta with a cream sauce of roasted red peppers, pesto and pine nuts

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Thursday evening:

very simple supper, and also was consumed with making an octopus soppresseta for tomorrow

pappa al pomodoro (bread and tomato soup -- EVOO, leeks, onion, garlic, white wine, basil, tomatoes, water, stale bread, salt and pepper, Parm-Reg)

green salad w/lemon juice and EVOO

Evian

leftover vanilla polenta, this time with mascarpone and pineapple/ginger preserves

I had to scrounge around the house to find something heavy enough to weigh down a couple of pans so that the soppressata would come out right. Time will tell if things are ok tomorrow. I hear boiled octopus is a good substitute for a volleyball. :blink:

Soba

I'm sorta kinda catering a party for my mom this weekend, so I'm up to my eyeballs in food for others. I did, however, find time last night to cook for myself, though things were a bit slapdash:

--Boneless country-style pork "ribs" (cut from the shoulder, if I understood the butcher rightly) marinated overnight in tomato and ancho paste with a hint of star anise and achiote and grilled.

--Serrano salsa (a dozen serrano chiles charred on a griddle, then thrown in a blender with half a white onion, a large handful of cilantro, salt, 2 cloves of toasted garlic, the juice of half an ugli fruit, and the juice of a lime).

-green beans tossed with a teaspoon of duck fat.

-Belgian endive sauteed in duck fat, then tossed with an orange-mustard-tomato vinaigrette.

Dessert was a little toffee, a few chocolate truffles, and a few nibbles of duck fat.

My kitchen is a warzone. Fats vie for supremacy on every surface. I love it.

edit: I can speel! :wacko:

Edited by fimbul (log)

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

Very nice, fimbul. Let us know how the catering turns out.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

I am working through the French Laundry book; last night made the pan-roasted squab with oven dried figs and red chard; as I didn't have any foie gras, made a base of baked polenta, sauced with squab sauce. The figs, sauce and chard were incredible. The squab, maybe a touch overdone (small squabs, and as he points out in the book, a tough bird to get right, it would seem - a little more red in the center would have suited me more, went from 0-60 very quickly), had a very slight bitter tinge at the finish, although my wife thought they were perfect.

With a Givry 2000. Excellent, although these days it's tough to pull me from Gigondas. Love the ripe, forward fruit and the Rhone spice.

Tonight, either going to do: roast pork loin stuffed with walnuts, chevre, and herbs de provence, with balsamic-apple glaze, and braised fennel with pancetta; or game hen with morels (have both on hand; not a fan of game hen, a marketing game to me, but helluva lot cheaper than guinea or other "game" bird).

Will be drinking Jekel rieslings (late harvest after with some really ripe French cheese - perigord goat cheese, picandine crottin du Perigord) (and sorry, shameless plug - my cousin is Jekel's winemaker; really enjoy his wine).

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

Friday dinner:

had a sudden addition of 2 more children, sooo:

chicken breasted sauteed with an ancho-orange sauce and red pepper and scallions

avocado and red onion salad dressed with lime and EVOO

cold kabocha cream soup

Japanese rice

Dessert:

chocolate ice cream bars

Slices of seared sea scallops sunk in a soup...uh...of tomato water and mustard oil. (Ran out of useful "s" words.)

Salad of frisee with chopped radishes and soft-cooked quail eggs.

Celery root puree topped with slices of monkfish and a light sauce made from monkfish liver and ginger with diced pickled mango.

Racks of lamb with rosemary and a mint pesto.

Crostini with roasted tomato concasse and slices of tallegio cheese.

Tonight, either going to do:  roast pork loin stuffed with walnuts, chevre,  and herbs de provence, with balsamic-apple glaze, and braised fennel with pancetta; or game hen with morels (have both on hand; not a fan of game hen, a marketing game to me, but helluva lot cheaper than guinea or other "game" bird). 

Which of these did you end up doing?? I'm with you on the overly-marketed "game" hens, however, morels can certainly cover a multitude of sins! Gotta love those fungi . . .

Shameless plug aside ( :wink: ), Jekel is a damn fine winery.

Xanthippe, bagged on the game-hen with morels; instead I made a paste of tarragon, shallots, white wine, and some really wonderful french whole grain (Vilux, George Giliot) mustard; stuffed under the skin, and balance as a crust, roasted whole. Excellent, livened up the bird quite a bit. I'm with you, too, though - I think morels on Wheaties would work just fine.

Today, making duck breast roulade with the morels and creamed corn (again, a' la Chef Keller), and finishing off the legs as confit (salted last night).

Thanks very much for the kind words re: Jekel. I am quite proud of my cousin (Rick Boyer, the winemaker). He also has a small vineyard nearby, making very-small release vintages under his own label.

Bon appetit!

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

Xanthippe, bagged on the game-hen with morels; instead I made a paste of tarragon, shallots, white wine, and some really wonderful french whole grain (Vilux, George Giliot) mustard; stuffed under the skin, and balance as a crust, roasted whole.  Excellent, livened up the bird quite a bit.  I'm with you, too, though - I think morels on Wheaties would work just fine. 

Today, making duck breast roulade with the morels and creamed corn (again, a' la Chef Keller), and finishing off the legs as confit (salted last night). 

Thanks very much for the kind words re: Jekel.  I am quite proud of my cousin (Rick Boyer, the winemaker).  He also has a small vineyard nearby, making very-small release vintages under his own label. 

Bon appetit!

Both dinners sound sublime, paul o' (do you mind if I call you that?); I think it's terrific that you're cooking your way through Keller's book. Your family is certainly lucky to be the recipients of your admirable undertaking!

Speaking of which, I can only imagine creamed corn done the French Laundry way. My mother made "corn pudding" frequently during my childhood -- quite different than Keller's version I'm sure.

I'm out of Wheaties at the moment, but I do have a box of Grape Nuts in the cupboard . . .

What's the name of your cousin's private label?

Hi Xanthippe - paul o's great!

The wines are Richard Boyer wines. Here's one link:

http://www.californiawineriesmall.com/cgi-...wines.com/boyer

I love the French Laundry book; Thomas Keller's attention to the intrinsic value of food, brought to its pinnacle through technique and thought, is really grabbing me...I appreciate his lack of "bells and whistles," just the simple expression of intense, concentrated flavor and texture; simple, yet exceedingly "finished." It's what I hope to bring to the table eventually. We shall see. Very excited that I will be attending the French Culinary Institute in March of next year. I first picked up Chef Pepin's La Technique some 30 years ago, when I was a young lad (12-13, something like that), and, similarly, worked through it then... and will be meeting "the man," as well as another long-followed-from-afar Chef, Andre Soltner.

I haven't had Rick's wine (as opposed to Jekel) for some time...it was his pinot we had at a family gathering a few years back, absolutely wonderful. Hope you enjoy, if you get it!

By the way, funny you should mention corn pudding...my wife and I were at a farmer's market today (Evanston, Illinois - we hail from Chicago), and head a really nice breakfast of eggs sardou - eggs atop artichokes with hollandaise (again, not exactly "FCI's Salute to Healthy Cooking"), both atop corn bread croutons - man, good!

Where did you/your mom's corn pudding hail from?

-Paul

saturday dinner:

roast pork with fennel seeds, rosemary , bay leaves, white wine and lots of garlic, the sauce alter thickened with butter and poured back on after slicing

roasted carrots and onions

spiced pink soup (beets with cumin, coriander and lime), nah, still don't like beets! :wacko:

french bread (to sop up all the juices!)

Japanese rice (for those who wanted it)

Just back from an all day BBQ at a friend's house:

hamburgers and hotdogs

various grilled vegetables (corn on the cob, sweet potato, potato, onions, peppers, eryngii

followed by

gazpacho

crudite and dip plate

fajitas (skirt steak and chicken) with onion and peppers

guacamole and pico de gallo

homemade flour tortillas

dessert:

pineapple