• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

Do you ever serve sorbets between courses?

Do you ever steal away a cookie at 3 pm with a cup of tea?

The dish with the fava beans sounds great.  Are Romano beans an heirloom variety? Please describe.  Thanks.

No. Occasionally shaved ice granitas made from sake and wasabi and such. Seedless peeled green grapes frozen in white wine. Things like that.

Not a chance.

Heirloom? I don't know. I get them tinned from an Italian deli.

I forget to mention that the asparagus butter sauce also contained toasted slivered almonds.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Jin, you are making Nightscotsman cry. :sad:

Last night I took some red curry paste diluted with a bit of water and smeared it on some tri-tip strips. After that I took the leftover curry mixture and mixed some natural peanut butter in with some sweet soy sauce and smeared it on some chicken breast strips.

All of these went on the grill.

They were a good snack last night and will make an even better lunch today.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

I wish I had some damn money so I could post on this thread. :angry:

Oh well, I will continue to live vicariously through you all, until my financial aid check comes.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Soup - Shrimp and Spicy Pork Sausage Soup (Beer - Cantillon Vigneronne)

Main - Homemade Lamb Sausage with White Beans and Fennel (Beer - Fantome Saison)

Recipes, please. :smile:

Yikes... I'll try...

Shrimp and Spicy Pork Sausage Soup

Combine two cups chicken stock with about a gallon of water and a teaspoon or two of Hon-Dashi bonito flake soup base. Add two serrano chilis (slit open), 2 bay leaves, one clove garlic (minced) and about 1/4 cup shaved fresh ginger. Bring to a boil (you want to reduce it some) and remove chilis. Add thinly sliced yellow onion, whole head-on shrimp and thin rounds of spicy pork sausage (in this case I used smoked hard andouille). Cook until shrimp are done. Adjust seasonings (I added a little salt and some vietnamese garlic-chili paste). Place shrimp in bowl over fresh bean sprouts, spoon sausage and onions over the top and add broth. Garnish with lime wedges, thinly sliced jalapeno peppers and mint chiffonade.

Homemade Lamb Sausage with White Beans and Fennel

The lamb sausage was pretty fatty and made with a fair amount of red pepper. Combine diced yellow onion, celery and carrot (you know the drill) in rendered duck fat over medium heat. Add coarsely chopped garlic, two large rosemary sprigs and two bay leaves. Add two large sausage links. Cook until sausage begins to brown and vegetables are soft. Add fennel seeds, green peppercorns, salt and pepper. Cook and stir briefly. Add two cups soaked Great Northern White Beans. Add water to cover, reduce heat. Simmer about 1 hour (adding water if needed). Beans should be fully cooked and sausage nearly exploding. Adjust seasoning. Place half a sausage in a shallow bowl. Spoon beans over the top, and add a small amount of liquid.

This is what I remember - I hope I've not missed anything.

The soup was OK. The sausage was really good. The bresola, shaved fennel, blood orange salad was awesome. The beers were to die for.

fanatic...

Lamb loin chops with Rosemary Oil, Rosemary Sauce Robert, julienned deep-fried sweet-potatoes;

Previously, Horseradish-crusted salmon with cabernet black pepper sauce.

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

I wish I had some damn money so I could post on this thread. :angry:

Oh well, I will continue to live vicariously through you all, until my financial aid check comes.

If it makes ya feel any better, I was really really lazy last night . . .

Monday Night

Fish sticks (the frozen kind popped into the oven for 20 minutes)

Tartar sauce

(Ate off the baking sheet.)

But please don't tell anyone, Nero. :sad:

Old fashioned macaroni and cheese, baked with extra sharp cheddar and buttered bread cumb topping

Haricots vert (or green beans :biggrin: )

Milk

Dessert - Godiva Belgian dark chocolate ice cream with chopped almonds

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I wish I had some damn money so I could post on this thread.  :angry:

You don't need money to post here!

My meals feed a family of 5, most of the for less then $10 a meal, and the average is closer to $5, that is only $1 per person!

That is one of the reasons I post every dinner, to show that you don't have to be rich or exceptionally creative to eat decent food.

and we are all allowed bad days as well! :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Lamb loin chops with Rosemary Oil, Rosemary Sauce Robert, julienned deep-fried sweet-potatoes;

Previously, Horseradish-crusted salmon with cabernet black pepper sauce.

sounds great!

hope to hear more! :biggrin:

oh and welcome to egullet!

Tuesday dinner:

Thanks to the indian forum :biggrin: :

Suvir's tandoori cornish hens ( http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...0&t=12746&st=30 )

bottom of the page

Prasad2's saag paneer ( http://www.thali.com/Recipe.htm#Saag%20Paneer )

cucumber raita

home made naan

Edited for recipe links

Edited by torakris (log)

Nero, what about noodle soups? Some gojuchang and water, ginger, a scallion, some ramen. A few peanuts to complete the protein...

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Are Romano beans an heirloom variety? Please describe.  Thanks.

Heirloom? I don't know. I get them tinned from an Italian deli.

Don't know if Romanos are heirloom, but they're plentiful in season at our local farmers' markets. I've seen both green and purple varieties. They look similar to a regular snap bean, although larger, and they're flat-ish like butter beans. Quite delicious . . .

Xanthippe, dessert is used to close a meal because sugar dulls and flattens the palate. I could never do that to anyone. It's cruel.

Guess I'm somewhat of a masochist, then.

Dessert?? Hurt me!!!!! :wink:

Takes up room you would have for steak.

Or seared scallops.

Or grilled lamb chops.

Or haricot vert with much butter, a bit of lemon, and a sprinkling of salmon roe.

Or

Or

Or

You know. Food.

Last evening, chicken devil's style, after the way I saw Mario do it a couple of years ago ... marinated for a while in olive oil s & p and a bit hit of red chile flakes. If memory serves me right, Mario used, (and when I have it on hand I do, too,) his own chile--infused oil as well. A great thing to have on hand. Must make some asap.

ANYway, grilled the boneless chile-marinated chicken legs over mesquite, grilling-friendly cut, boneless legs. Risotto (using Carnaroli) with loads of diced Cremini mushrooms in there, as per the preference of the 11-year-old and the Consort. Batons of carrot sauteed with butter and sage. Baguette.

Caparone Paso Robles Nebbiolo, its full flavor belieing its quite astonishingly light red color. Unfiltered, unfined, very good.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

last night was:

prawns with garlic and lemon

green rice

mixed baby greens with grilled asparagus tips

macerated mangos with mango pineapple sorbet

tonight:

leftovers

sigh - unfortunatly the mad weeder(my boss) decided to defrost the fridge at work and, as she ususally does, tossed out all the food. the beef with garlic sauce i had bought monday was an unfortunate victim,,,,

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Sad 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Nero, what about noodle soups? Some gojuchang and water, ginger, a scallion, some ramen. A few peanuts to complete the protein...

Jinmyo, forgive ignorance, but . . .

what's gojuchang?

Noise is music. All else is food.

Gojuchang is Korean miso paste with chile.

Weds dinner:

When i planned my meals for the week (on Sunday), Weds was supposed to be very hot and very sunny, it ended up being very cold and very rainy, but I still made:

gazpacho with tomatoes, cucumbers, red and yellow peppers, red onions and sherry and basalmic vinegars

couscous salad with grilled vegetables (asparagus, red and yellow peppers, scallions, sugar snap peas) and lots of herbs (mint and basil)

dessert:

oreo cookies :shock:

Zucchini parmesan, with early zukes from the farm market. Used obscenely expensive olive oil and good parm-regg.

Penne with tomato sauce

Gojuchang is Korean miso paste with chile.

Spicy fermented bean paste. Funky and spicy tasting. Commonly used as a condiment in all kinds of korean meals, particularly korean-style barbeque. Applied to grilled meats like bulgogi or kalbi and rolled up with rice and lettuce and assorted types of banchan (pickled condiments or little appetizer like dishes, such as kimchis.).

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host