• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

Tempura sea scallops with a sake/wasabi sauce.

Japanese rice rolled in crispy chicken skin, tied with blanched scallion strips, on shiso leaves. (Managed to get this out hot and crispy.)

Slices (three per bowl) of lobster tail in seaweed foam.

Pulled chicken thigh meat, morel, and chipotle wonton on a bit of dashi.

Salad of shaved Japanese cucumbers with grilled shrimp, a few truffle shavings, light vinaigrette (lime and grapeseed oil).

Tea-smoked whole trout with fresh tortillas and a "salsa" of tomato concasse with mint and shallots.

Ochazuke (rice with green tea poured over top) with a quail egg inside.

Crunchy deep-fried yuba (soy milk skins) deep-fried with much salt.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

A simple Thursday dinner, not much time or energy

Plain, basic okonomiyaki (savory Japanese pancake), just cabbage and scallions.

Kakuteki (daikon kimchi)

Yamaimo (mountain potato) done two ways - raw salad with an ume shiso dressing, and sliced into thin rounds, fried in butter and salted.

Okra sliced and tossed with a ponzu dressing.

Miso soup with tofu and Japanese leeks.

Friday dinner:

now I am scaping the crumbs out of the corners of the refrigerator:

flounder mirin-zuke (this was a pre-seasoned fish pulled out of the freezer and defrosted before grilling)

creamy vegetable soup (this was actually made by my FIL yesterday) and was quite good, lots of bacon.

simmered kabocha

red wine rakkyo (small pickled onions)

Japanese rice

dessert:

popsicles

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Saturday dinner:

chicken parmagiano (lightly breaded and sesaoned BREASTS) topped with a sauce havy on the garlic and herbs (basil, oregano, bay) from the garden, topped with parmasean and baked.

linguine with the extra sauce

quick saute of cabbage, green peppers, and two chile peppers tossed in, with EVOO and a splash of sherry vinegar

dessert:

"quick" blueberry pie with frozen blueberries (simmered with lemon juice, sugar and cinnamon) and two sheets of frozen puff pastry.

Kristin finally went shopping! (I hate that week just before payday! :biggrin: , in Japan you get paid once a month)

Sunday dinner:

poached salmon with a tomato-horseradish-dill sauce/salsa (I couldn't decide whether to have a tomato based salas, a horseradish sauce, or a dill sauce, so i combined them all into a salsa like dish, it was quite good! :biggrin: )

caesar salad with lots of croutons and a heavy sprinkling of anchovies

new potatoes roasted in goose fat

dessert:

orange semolina cake from the latest edition of Eating Well, the second cake I have made from their section on baking with olive oil and they were both fabulous!

dessert:

orange semolina cake from the latest edition of Eating Well, the second cake I have made from their section on baking with olive oil and they were both fabulous!

What was the first cake you made using olive oil, torakris?

Goose-or-duck-fat roasted potatoes are the best! :wub:

dessert:

What was the first cake you made using olive oil, torakris?

Goose-or-duck-fat roasted potatoes are the best! :wub:

The first one was the lemon almond polenta torta, this was really incredible!

Indian weekend blowout:

Made a tub of carrot pudding -- grated carrots, cooked down with cardamom infused milk, jaggery, cinnamon, and cloves, added some blanched almonds and coconut towards the end.

---------

Saturday:

coconut dosas

cashew chutney

baigan sak (crispy eggplant with sauteed spinach)

Edensoy carob soy milk

cardamom tea, w/honey and almond milk

carrot pudding

--------------

Sunday:

broiled skinless boneless chicken breasts, smeared with 1 T. EVOO each and 1 T. Patak's eggplant relish

sauteed brussel sprouts with coconut, urad dal and black mustard seeds

cashew chutney

coconut rice

Edensoy Original soy milk

Haagen-Dasz mango sorbet

Soba

Chilled Asparagus Soup topped with a dollop of Creme Fraiche and fresh Basil

Breast of Chicken with Fennel served over rice

Strawberries Marinated in Port served over homemade French Vanilla Ice Cream

Sunday dinner....

Broiled bone-in pork chops

Cauliflower with cheese sauce (bechamel with dijon and English mustard and cheddar cheese)

Squash casserole (mom's recipe: summer squash, garlic, onion, and cheese with egg as binder - generally make it on weekends 'cause it's good as leftovers during the week.)

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

Thanks, torakris. Both cakes sound terrific, and the citrus flavors would be perfect in this hot weather. Would you recommend one over the other?

Thanks, torakris. Both cakes sound terrific, and the citrus flavors would be perfect in this hot weather. Would you recommend one over the other?

I would have to say I prefer the orange semolina cake just a little tiny bit over the other, the lemon-almord cake sort of depends on the raspberry sauce and yogurt cream to pull it all together while the orange cake can stand alone.

I am actually eating it for breakfast as I type! :biggrin:

and I will let you in on a secret if you promise not to tell anybody................

I didn't use EVOO in my olive oil cake...

I used canola oil! I was out of olive oil and didn't feel like going to the store, I can imagine it will only be pbetter with EVOO! :biggrin:

Monday dinner:

asparagus rolled in thinly sliced pork slices and then coated in sesame seeds and baked, served with karashi and soy sauce

Korean style squid sashimi "salad" -- the squid was tossed in a kojuchang-vinegar-sesame oil dressing and then was tossed with baby leaf mix

broccoli and sugar snap peas stir fried with a black bean sauce

Dessert:

orange semolina cake

I would have to say I prefer the orange semolina cake just a little tiny bit over the other, the lemon-almord cake sort of depends on the raspberry sauce and yogurt cream to pull it all together while the orange cake can stand alone.

I am actually eating it for breakfast as I type! :biggrin:

and I will let you in on a secret if you promise not to tell anybody................

I didn't use EVOO in my olive oil cake...

I used canola oil! I was out of olive oil and didn't feel like going to the store, I can imagine it will only be pbetter with EVOO! :biggrin:

Thanks for clarifying. Orange semolina cake, here I come!!

Oh, and I promise, on my honor as a former Girl Scout, not to tell a soul that you didn't use EVOO in your olive oil cake . . . :wink:

Monday:

Roasted peppers, briefly macerated in EVOO and raspberry vinegar

Angel hair pasta with ricotta, caviar and a splash of vodka

leftover brussel sprouts from last night, added a bit of garam masala to perk it up

Pellegrino

since I had a craving for gulab jamun, I got some from Amma on my way home. Amma, btw, is a neighborhood Indian restaurant located literally across the street from my apartment. I'd rate Amma about a 6 on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being top end.

Soba

Friends are coming over. They're Belgian beer freaks.

Appetizer/Salad - Fennel, Breasola and Blood Orange Salad with Shaved Parmagiana-Reggiano (Beer - Rochefort 10)

Soup - Shrimp and Spicy Pork Sausage Soup (Beer - Cantillon Vigneronne)

Main - Homemade Lamb Sausage with White Beans and Fennel (Beer - Fantome Saison)

Edited by malachi (log)

fanatic...

Pork crackling on a three inch soft pita topped with mustard.

Oi sabagizpacho (gaspacho with oi sabagi [stuffed cucumber] kimchi, vodka, scallions).

Stir-fried sugar snap peas and ramps (wild garlic) with fesh lemon spritz.

Grilled sardines stuffed with sorrel, topped with lemon zest, wrapped in Boston lettuce.

Bundle (on a Chinese spoon) of soba (buckwheat noodles) with gomasio and shoyu.

Large wontons stuffed with crabmeat and a whole quail egg with an aka miso sauce.

Deep-fried yuba knots with fleur de sel.

For 34.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Dolsot bibimbap: scallions, julienned carrots, shitake mushrooms, spinach, mung bean sprouts (all prepared slightly differently), raw egg and rice -- all crisped up in my new stone bowls and drizzled with Korean chili paste diluted down to a sauce consistency. There are other things I probably would have thrown in, but that's what I had lying around the house.

Anyone know of a good Korean cookbook they can recommend?

--

Americanized pad thai with shrimp, eggs, tofu, garlic scallions, lime, peanut, etc etc. No ketchup.

Homemade egg rolls with bean threads and shiitakes, sweet chili sauce

Farm market bok choy with sour-salty dressing

Chocolate crinkle cookie sandwiches, filled with hazelnut cream from a visit to Kalustyan's

Pork crackling on a three inch soft pita topped with mustard.

Oi sabagizpacho (gaspacho with oi sabagi [stuffed cucumber] kimchi, vodka, scallions).

Stir-fried sugar snap peas and ramps (wild garlic) with fesh lemon spritz.

Grilled sardines stuffed with sorrel, topped with lemon zest, wrapped in Boston lettuce.

Bundle (on a Chinese spoon) of soba (buckwheat noodles) with gomasio and shoyu.

Large wontons stuffed with crabmeat and a whole quail egg with an aka miso sauce.

Deep-fried yuba knots with fleur de sel.

For 34.

Jin, your dinners appear to be quintessential perfection but for one flaw: you don't serve dessert! I know you have no use for sweets, but for me, a dinner without dessert is like a, um, er . . . dinner without dessert!! :wink:

No chicken breasts. Steak. And dessert.

Xanthippe, dessert is used to close a meal because sugar dulls and flattens the palate. I could never do that to anyone. It's cruel.

Demitasse of morel soup.

Ziti with an asparagus and garlic butter sauce.

Braised dish of red onion, fava beans, white kidney beans, Romano beans with rustic plum tomato sauce and topped with slices of halumi cheese.

Coleslaw of green cabbage and celery root with shaved poblano chiles.

Grilled whole salmon, pulled and served on very thin crostini with chopped grilled lemon and fleur de sel.

Anyone know of a good Korean cookbook they can recommend?

Unfortunately, slkinsey, no.

But I'm glad you're enjoying your dolsot.

Xanthippe, dessert is used to close a meal because sugar dulls and flattens the palate. I could never do that to anyone. It's cruel.

Demitasse of morel soup.

Ziti with an asparagus and garlic butter sauce.

Braised dish of red onion, fava beans, white kidney beans, Romano beans with rustic plum tomato sauce and topped with slices of halumi cheese.

Coleslaw of green cabbage and celery root with shaved poblano chiles.

Grilled whole salmon, pulled and served on very thin crostini with chopped grilled lemon and fleur de sel.

Do you ever serve sorbets between courses?

Do you ever steal away a cookie at 3 pm with a cup of tea?

The dish with the fava beans sounds great. Are Romano beans an heirloom variety? Please describe. Thanks.