• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

Wilted Chinese lettuce (aa choy) and snap pea salad tossed in a shiso dressing.

Chinese rice topped with cubes of chile-braised daikon.

how do you do your shiso dressing?

ditto for the chile braised daikon....

Shiso dressing? I puree shiso with oil (EVOO sometimes, grapeseed in this case) and citrus juice. Season.

I cut the daikon into 1 inch cubes, sear on a griddle, turn down heat, season, pour a ladle of chile sauce overtop, flip them around, cover with a few wok lids and let them steam a bit. Flip them around. The sauce reduces to a glaze.

The chile sauce in this case was made with a puree of toasted chilhuacle negro, s&p, vodka, shallots, garlic. I had it left over from another menu.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Crostini, spread with mashed elephant garlic cloves that had been poached in beef broth, topped with beef marrow and crunchy salt.

Salad of watercress with seared scallops, Dijon vinaigrette.

Rare lamb kidneys with huagu (flower mushrooms) and roasted baby Yukon gold potatoes.

Stilton, Lancashire, raw milk camembert, onion relish.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

I have been out of sorts with my photography lately, and not just foodwise.

Perhaps I will get back into it when the summer weather lifts my spirits, but not yet in bloody Britain.

Tonight two nice thick portions of fresh cod were pot roasted on a bed of puy lentils with aromatics of leek, onion and carrot. Some mushrooms, serranno ham trimmings and a trace of tomato. All moistened with vermouth.

When all this is well under way on the hob, the cod pieces are placed on and slightly buried. Skin on to hold the flaky cod together. Covered and placed in a hot oven for 15 minutes. This method requires thick tranches of cod so they can take some flavour before they overcook.

www.eurosnaps.com\images\food\eg\CodP5245414.JPG

Good English strawberries and good English cream for afters. English strawberries and, incidently, asparagus do seem to be the best, in their short season. This, of course, could appear to be the case with fresh LOCAL produce everywhere. They do have a nice acidity though.

Hot roasted squab joints and breast on a green salad with apple last night.

Thanks Jin!

puree the shiso.......I never would have thought of that, I am going to give it a try.

Sat dinner:

Thai style yellow curry with squid, kabocha, and swiss chard (from the garden! :biggrin: ), lots of lemon grass and kaffir lime leaves thrown in.

Squid salad seasoned with lime, nampla, chiles, shredded kaffir lime leaf, minced lemon grass, and mint, scooped up with romaine lettuce leaves (sort of like a squid laab!)

jasmine rice

dessert:

ice cream

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Celebratory dinner for my husband's birthday, featuring his favorite foods:

Duo of favorite soups: New England clam chowder and roasted creamy tomato, with spiced oyster crackers

Mesclun with Balsamic vinaigrette, pickled onions, red bell pepper, and corn-fried chili-spiked oysters

Fettucine with tomato concasse and a seared shrimp

Lemon-cumin salmon, garlicky spinach, garbanzos with cinnamon and caramelized onions, and raisin couscous (cooked in the raisin soaking water to get the flavor in)

Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, assorted chocolates

He's a seafood lover and mostly adores good ol' American standards, although he also has a yen for couscous and raisins, both of which I dislike so I never make them for him.

At school, made by others:

Beautiful. Gotta love it.

Last night:

Ribeyes, set in a dish for a bit with some EVOO, creamed garlic, S & P, you know the drill

Grilled the steaks, served them over beds of arugula

Roasted red potatoes, of which I will never get enough

This was all after closing time. I think we sat down to eat at 3:30 AM.

Jinmyo, that crostini with the marrow sounds incredible. And Malawry! That birthday dinner is just about exactly how I'd eat every night, if I had my druthers.

Edited by NeroW (log)

Noise is music. All else is food.

Last night:

Spinach salad with almost hard cooked eggs, mushrooms, ranch dressing

Linguine topped with camarones al mojo de ajo - prawns sauteed in gralic, evoo, garlic, chiles and garlic!

Ice cream

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

Sunday dinner:

We were going to have just a small family BBQ because we spent the the afternoon in an interview with NHK (a Japanese TV station) , for some reason the Japanese think our family makes for interesting documentary material, this will be our second documentary is less than a year and a half. I think we are normal! :wink:

Anyway as we started cooking, my in-laws, whose backyard in separated from ours by a small field smelled us cooking and called to ask if they could come over. We can't exactly say no, she brought over a pack a yakiniku style beef and another of tongue.

the menu:

Thai style grilled chicken with sweet chile sauce (from the current Fine Cooking)

Vietnamese style green papaya salad (from Essentials of Asian Cuisine)

Indonesian beef sate with peanut sauce

Grilled tongue with salt and lemon

grilled "baked" potatoes

grilled kabocha and mushrooms

yaki-onigiri (grilled rice balls) with either soy sauce or kochujang and wrapped in ekoma (Korean beefsteak, similar to shiso) leaves

NeroW, he'd eat that way every night if he could too! :rolleyes:

Tonight: Leftover clam chowdah with leftover spiced oyster crackers

Salade nicoise, our first of the year, with fresh tuna steaks

Homemade lemonade.

Salmon sashimi wrapped around avocado, wrapped within sorrel leaves.

Miso shiru with huagu (flower mushrooms) sliced on the bias.

Salad of udon noodles with pochu kimchi (Chinese chive kimchi) and shredded chicken.

Deep-fried yuba (soy skins) knots with gomasio and togarashi (Japanese chile).

Onigiri (rice balls) with soft-cooked quail eggs inside.

To celebrate the start of summer (even though it was 60 dgrees and raining :angry: ):

Big, juicy medium rare burgers with thick slices of vidalia onion and beefsteak tomatoes

Sweet corn with butter and salt

Traditional potato salad

Watermelon

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

As I have mentioned before, I am now using a mail order supplier that supplies some of London's best restaurants.

Their steak is Aberdeen Angus and I have specified it very well aged.

They tend to slice it too thin, so I told them not to slice it for me. You can see I cut it acroos the other way, after grilling. This allows a good charring on the grill pan without cooking the inside.

Served with chips fried in lard and spinach, mushrooms and garlic fried out in butter.

Sirloin.JPG

Finished with some stinking Epoisses. There really should be a warning on the packet. :wink:

epoisses.jpg

Steve, luscious.

Tuna melts using fresh-seared tuna on whole wheat bread

Garlicky sauteed broccolini

I had supersweet corn with s, p, butter; Erin consumed the last of the clam chowder instead

Monday dinner:

the Thai chicken from the night before turned into a chicken salad with rice noodles and a sweet chile-lime-nampla dressing (from the same Fine Cooking article)

saba (mackeral) seasoned with soy, hung out to dry, and then grilled (not by me!)

nagaimo (mountain potato) sashimi with wasabi-joyu

Japanese rice

red wine rakkyo (small onions)

dessert:

ice cream

EDIT:

yesterday's earthquake (Northern Japan) hit as I was cutting the vegetables for the salad, I was concentrating on julienning the cucumbers, carrots, and onions when I felt the room swaying, I thought I was concentrating too hard. A couple seconds later I realized the fish tank was jostling, it wasn't me after all!

Monday dinner - two Aviation cocktails! Followed by grilled tuna served with a balsamic essence (balsamic vinegar, cilantro, butter,chili sauce, ginger, soy sauce and a touch of salt.) Couscous and steamed aspagarus. (First time using the asparagus steamer!) The cocktails win! :biggrin:

KathyM

What is an Aviation cocktail?

What is an Aviation cocktail?

Blame Nightscotsman!. Two ounces gin (Blue Sapphire), one ounce maraschino liquer, 3/4 ounce lemon juice. Shake with ice. I like it served with a maraschino cherry! :blink:

KathyM

Asparagus boiled in salted, but high calcium, water.

Uh, I must ask an idiotic question: What differentiates high calcium water from other water? How does the mineral impact the taste of, in this case, asparagus??

Your dinner photos always leave me drooling on keyboard, Steve!

Takakomi-gohan (Chinese rice cooked with sliced eryingi mushrooms).

Corn bisque (with corn milk, coconut milk, Southeast Asian herbs and spices, dried chiles, lime zest) with lobster claws.

Sauteed Shanghai bok choy with fermented tofu.

Rack of lamb with Chow Chiu chile.

Pochu (Chinese chives), baek (white), and mixed greens kimchi.

brunch today (Monday):

Shredded duck and roasted pepper salad (duck from a Cantonese takeout palace, roasted bell peppers, roasted Italian cooking peppers, frisee, crispy shallots, nam pla, lime juice, minced jalapeno, sugar, a little EVOO, a little sesame oil)

Spanish omelettes, topped with basic tomato sauce

Baguettes

Risotto with saffron, roasted pineapple and dried cherries. (chicken stock, EVOO, saffron, onion, Arborio rice, white wine, salt and pepper, dried cherries, roasted pineapple) [Note: I think this works better as an appetizer than a dessert. Interesting counterpoint of flavors from the fruit and the savory elements in the dish.]

Hot soy milk (from a takeout palace)

Jasmine tea

-------------

tonight:

Frisee with grapefruit and sauteed scallops

Pan-seared halibut with glazed vegetables

Evian

Orange and star anise compote (water, sugar, star anise, orange zest, oranges)