• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

Monday night:

Roasted a head of cauliflower, saved half for later.

Other half, broken up in bits and pieces, tossed in a caramelized onion and anchovy sauce (red onions, garlic, anchovies, red pepper flakes, EVOO, Italian parsley, unsalted butter, dried currants), over penne rigate.

Pear and shiitake mushroom salad -- not as weird as you might think: sauteed shiitake mushrooms in unsalted butter and cracked black pepper. Took off heat and cooled slightly, added diced pear. Tossed together, combined with frisee. Sea salt and white pepper to taste.

Lurisia spring water.

Coconut flan.

Soba

Tuesday dinner:

swordfish rubbed with cumin, coriander, salt and pepper cooked on the griddle pan and served with onion-tomato-mint relish

Indian cheese (paneer--homemade! :biggrin: ) and tomato curry

corn sauteed with ginger and cumin seeds

leftover 3 bean salad

Japanese rice

dessert:

cookies (a gift- not homemade)

I sort of messed up the curry, at the end you are supposed to add 300cc of milk (a little over a cup) and I didn't want to pull out the measuring cup, so I figured I can judge about 300cc. For some reason I had it in my mind that 300cc was about 2/3 of 1,000ml (a quart) container of milk, so i was just pouring it in and by the time I had poured in half the container, I knew that it was too much. It ended up being too soupy and the flavor was diluted. :sad:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Chickpea and beet salad with mustard seeds and green peppercorns (beets, turmeric, salt, EVOO, black mustard seeds, green peppercorns, chickpeas, jaggery, frisee)

Risotto with sauteed porcini mushrooms

Braised peas with pearl onions, lettuce and mint

Evian

Cheers,

Soba

Okay, not dinner, but LUNCH!

thaiporksalad.jpg

Thai/Vietnamese Salad (we couldn't decide, the recipe is pretty much the beef salad straight from Hot, Sour, Salty, Sweet) in a Lime Juice/Fish Sauce/Dried Chili Flake dressing with sliced, grilled pork (aka leftover trimmed loin of pork from a previous dinner) served over Banh rice vermicelli.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Wow nice looking meat salad, there, Perlows. Just at lunch today I got to share some of a Thai beef salad that the Consort likes. And he shared my red curry with bamboo shoots and PERFECT jasmine rice. (I love rice and use it as a yardstick for Thai and Japanese places -- if all is well with the rice all is often well with the rest, in my experience.)

ANYway, last evening was the first really summery day, 90-degrees-some-odd, and we grilled NY strip steaks, the aged ones from the local supermarket, and they were pretty good. Very good, in fact, charry on the outside, on account of the hothothot mesquite fire, course I happen to like mesquite, I know not everyone does.

We also had grilled fat asparagus, blue-rubber-band size, olive oil, etc., you know the drill. Really really good.

And, baked potatoes, sour cream, big old sandhill of finely-chopped chives. Those chives, they just wave there in the border like sea anenomes, WILLING a person walking by to USE ME USE ME USE ME. I don't think we'd baked a potato in like two years -- and right now White Roses are so fresh, with that papery peely skin, and well, they were good. Lurpak on there, too, don't forget, and loads of s & p.

Nondescript but not-bad Beaujolais with a little chill on it, perfect accompaniment for the grill and the changing light on the hillside.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Weds dinner:

mapo-dofu

shu-mai (the "famous" Yokohama shumai, a gift from my husband's co-worker)

tomato slices

Japanese rice

dessert:

leftover cookies from the day before

shu-mai (the "famous" Yokohama shumai, a gift from my husband's co-worker)

Eh? Whazzit?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Had our first Copper River salmon of the season, last evening. (Ongoing CRS discussions here and here.)

Front half of a not-large fish, 2.75 lbs. before filleting, two scant-inch-thick fillets resulting. Grilled over mesquite, annointed with chive Lurpak after being pulled off at the right moment. What a great fish CRS is -- we're lucky that Ralph's, a local supermarket chain, makes a big hoo-haw of bringing it in so that we too can share in the PNW bounty.

Little red potatoes, which always seem to suggest themselves with springtime salmon, maybe got some of the chive Lurpak, too.

Fat asparagus, grilled, you know the drill.

Sourdough bread cut thickly, grilled, rubbed lightly with garlic, nice slices of excellent Hass avocado arrayed over, thread of extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Teusday dinner:

In Roden's middle eastern cookbook she has a recipe for "Chicken with preserved lemons and olives" and a recipe for "Chicken with Chickpeas". What we had fpr dinner was a hybrid of these two since I wanted the preserved lemon flavor and the chickpeas with a whole stewed cut up chicken. so basically I browned the pieces, tossed in lots of chopped onions, some garlic, spices, and covered with water. about 30 minutes before it was ready I threw in two cans of chickpeas and chopped preserved lemons. Served it over white rice...very yummy.

Wednesday dinner:

I made what I will call "Morrocan chick-chick soup" (sounds like a name Monica Bhide might make up :smile: ) ...and guess where the ingredients came from. I had a good amount of leftovers from yesterday but I did not want to eat the same thing. So, I removed the chicken pieces from the broth/chickpea mixture and shredded them, pureed the mixture and reheated in a saucepan. When the mixture came up to temp, I added more chopped preserved lemons (I am getting addicted to their lovely flavor), the shredded chicken and heated everything through. I served it in a deep bowl garnished with a spoonful of homemade yogurt and a dash of EVOO and with a couple of slices of crusty homemade sourdough. It was fantastic... I think I enjoyed it more than the actual dish from the night before :huh: .

fc1841b4.jpg

FM

edit to add pic

Edited by FoodMan (log)

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

No photos but I poached turbot fillets in red wine tonight.

Earlier in the day I prepared three large octopus tentacles. One put in the freezer because Rick Stein says that tenderizes it.

One was 'scared' by dunking in boiling salted for three twenty second dips and is now marinading in lemon juice and chopped chili.

The third was poached in a lemon court bouillon for 90 minutes. Some of this one was sliced and served with the turbot.

Small new charlotte potatoes boiled and buttered.

Fine green beans 'vichyed' in butter, sugar and water.

Some chopped red onion and garlic sweated in plenty of butter then boiled in red wine with thyme and bay.

Fillets of turbot poached in this red liquor until just done. Rested in a warm oven while the sauce was strained and reduced down a bit further.

The octopus just warmed through in the sauce.

Last night we had razor clams (razor shells) for the first time.

These were opened in a pan with butter, spring onion, vermouth and lemon. The butter had just become noisette with the onion before the liquid was added.

The opened clams are then carved up to remove the 'stomachs' and brown intestines. They can be assembled back on the shell for presentation, but I didn't. They are good sliced up and served as a ragout. Nice meaty flesh that would accompany any white fish.

We had them with grilled asparagus and boiled new potatoes.

Hate to follow all of these delicious meals :sad:

Thursday:

meatlof (Cook's Illustrated)

spicy coleslaw (How to cook Everything)

smoked salmon, arugula and red onion dressed with EVOO and lemon

dessert:

matcha ice cream

I had a different menu planned but my MIL came over with 2Kgs of meat and a head of cabbage and requested "my" :huh: meatloaf and coleslaw, I got to keep half of it. :biggrin:

At school, made by others:

Boneless pork loin chops stuffed with sauteed apples, walnuts, bacon, stilton cheese and french bread

"Baked potato salad"

French onion soup with brie

Puff pastry jewel boxes filled with crimini, chicken, shallots and wilted spinach in a cream and white wine sauce

Dessert, made by me:

Lemon-ginger cake with lemon-ginger-mascarpone icing, served with fresh warm lemon curd

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Came home last night feeling gloomy and out of sorts. I found my fridge full of odds and ends, and out of sorts. As a result, dinner was an unsatisfying hodge-podge. It wasn't bad, but, as Lola Granola said, It didn't soar, dammit!

I pan roasted two scrawny duck legs that I'd rubbed in homemade red curry paste, and served them with Chinese eggplant that I'd cooked quickly in a touch of chicken stock and tossed with tomato concasse. Eh. This was, in all probability, very good, but I was out of sorts, so it didn't suit me. (If this rain doesn't stop soon, I'll pop.)

I followed this with a salad of (*ahem*): chopped Boston lettuce, sliced endive, watercress, mint, green garlic, scallions, julienned serranos, and julienned ginger. I topped this ode to chaos and excess with stir-fryed pieces of hanger steak that I'd picked up (already sliced) at Super H Mart (a big, not-quite-Korean grocery store, for those not in the know). As a dressing, I put out fish sauce spiked with lime juice, ground toasted rice, ground toasted chiles, and a little more chopped mint.

Moral: I like hanger steak, ground toasted rice is gritty, and gloomy days make me irritable. :angry:

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

Seaweed soup (kombu, wakame, black moss, nori in a lobster broth) with silken tofu.

Wilted Chinese lettuce (aa choy) and snap pea salad tossed in a shiso dressing.

Chinese rice topped with cubes of chile-braised daikon.

Char siu pork loin roast.

Cold tofu noodles tossed with kombu ribbons and slivered garlic chives.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Pan-fried tilapia with chervil and garlic

Corn, tomato and basil risotto cakes ( I had the risotto the night before and formed the leftovers into patties last night and coated with a little panko)

Rhubarb and strawberry crumble

Last night (Thursday):

Baby spinach salad

feta cheese, a maple red onion jam, toasted pine nuts and a pink grapefruit vinaigrette.

Black striped seabass filet

saffron vanilla sauce, citrus-infused cous cous, asparagus, eggplant, crisp baby spinach, basil oil.

Wilted Chinese lettuce (aa choy) and snap pea salad tossed in a shiso dressing.

Chinese rice topped with cubes of chile-braised daikon.

how do you do your shiso dressing?

ditto for the chile braised daikon....

Friday dinner:

Thai flavored mussel soup (from Blue Ginger by Ming Tsai)--this was VERY good!!

A Japanese style shabu shabu salad with pork, romaine lettuce, cucumbers, and young corn, dressed with a Thai style peanut sauce

Jasmine rice

dessert:

bing cherries (in Japan these are just called American cherries)

and some cookies given to me by a Japanese friend, a pastry chef who runs a bakery with her husband.