• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

Grilled eye of round with spicy yogurt-walnut sauce (June F&W)

Spinach sauteed with garlic and lemon zest

Mushroom pilaf

The leftover beef will be turned into yam neua(sp?) for tonight's dinner.

Marinated, Grilled Flank steak chopped up for some simple tacos.

Beef Stew- Chuck steak, onions, parsnips, carrots, beef stock, fresh herbs. Turned out very good.

Marinated some chicken breast in EVOO, Garlic, Dijon, and White Pepper. Grilled those for quick lunches at work.

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Weds dinner:

potato and ground beef corroke (croquettes) served with okonomiyaki sauce

gobo (burdock root) and carrot kinpira (stir fry with soy-mirin-sesame seeds)

satsumaimo (Japanese sweet potato) simmered with sugar and lemon

Japanese rice

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

steaksandwich.jpg

Sliced London Broil Au Jus sandwiches with sauteed Holland Peppers and Portobello Mushrooms with Oven-baked Idaho Potato Steak Fries.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

and here is what the Yamaguchi's ate last night:

cream stew made with roasted salmon, cabbage, onions, broccoli and leftover satsumaimo (Japanese sweet potato)

Japanese rice

honey-whole wheat bread (made in the bread machine)

dessert:

ice cream

The last time I cooked outside school (last week! :shock: ):

Seared pork tenderloin in Le Creuset and then into the oven

Served over julienned leeks sweated in butter

Quick whole-grain mustard pan sauce

Roasted baby potatoes

Roasted asparagus

Little purchased tortes

Some kinda wine.

Otherwise, I've been eating terrible, terrible food :rolleyes:

Noise is music. All else is food.

Friday night dinner:

the last dinner with my friend's kids, now I can start getting a little more creative and use up those beets in the fridge.

Chicken with a sherry vinegar sauce (this recipe from A New Way to Cook is so unbelievably good!)

Roasted carrots with thyme and garlic (not that you need a recip, but I got it from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone and will be making it again a lot!)

sugar snap pea and cannelini bean salad with lemon and EVOO

leftover honey-whole wheat bread

Japanese rice

dessert:

ice cream

Korean Pork Tenderloin -- recipe from Cooking Light Magazine.

Tofu Eggrolls -- Banyan brand. I think they're only available in Texas.

Alsace Pinot Gris -- L. Albrecht. Paired quite well with the gingery, sweet pork. .

Ice Cream -- Blue Bell Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream mixed with Homemade Butterfinger Ice Cream

friday night

since husband is getting back from business trip before leaving tomorrow to visit his mom for the holiday

rainbow roll (take out)

1 dozen beggars purses in hot peanut sauce (take out)

1 dozen sherry-ginger marinated shrimp, grilled

hajiki salad (take out)

mangosteens for dessert

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Canteloupe with duck proscuitto.

?????? what does this taste like? sounds great!

no dinner last night, my inlaws took us out to the same restaurant they always take us out to. There are thousands or restaurants in the Tokyo/Yokohama area where we live yet they insist on going to the exact same restaurant, ordering the exact same entrees, the exact same appetizers, the exact same salad, the exact same drinks every single time. I suggested try the avocado and zuwai crab salad instead of the ceasar (which isn't all that great), but they said they like the ceasar. Well maybe they would like the Crab salad if they just try it!!!

AARGGHHH!!!! :wacko:

Sliced London Broil Au Jus sandwiches with sauteed Holland Peppers and Portobello Mushrooms with Oven-baked Idaho Potato Steak Fries.

The oven baked fries came out particularly well. We sliced the large potatoes in half lengthwise then in radiant slices (like if you were doing an onion into strips). Tossed in a large bowl with some peanut oil, salt & pepper. Spread in a single layer on sheet pans lined with parchment. 400F convection oven for about 35 minutes. They were really good and surprisingly crisp, almost as good as actually frying them.

Since the steak was cooked the evening before (4 minutes per side on the grill), I sliced it when cold and made the jus with 1 cup of red wine and 1 cup of beef Better than Boullion (that is 1 cup water + spoon of the concentrate), reduced by half. I briefly reheated the steak in the jus and dipped the toasted baguette in the jus. Great sandwich.

The Korean Pork Tenderloin sounds really good - could you share the recipe?

And we love Blue Bell ice cream! Is it only available in Texas? We get it whenever we visit Austin but I've never seen out here on the East coast.

Dinner tonight:

Sweet and Sour Tilapia (tilapia from the Asian market - had been swimming around just a couple of hours before, dusted with cornstarch and fried in Scott's new fryer. Sauce made with chili paste, vinegar, orange juice, soy, cornstarch, with dried shiitakes, sliced carrots and scallions)

Jasmine rice

Steamed asparagus

Beer for Scott, diet root beer for me

Double Stuff Oreos (for Scott, not part of my Weight Watchers

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

The Korean Pork Tenderloin sounds really good - could you share the recipe?

And we love Blue Bell ice cream! Is it only available in Texas?

Sure!

Here is *my* version: Easy Korean Style Pork Tenderloin.

Also, I'm sorry that you are not in Bluebell Country. Believe it or not, you can buy Bluebell in Saudi Arabia but you can't buy it in Boston. Weird, eh?

On April 21, we made Egg Noodles with 4 kinds of mushrooms with Sausage in a brown butter wine sauce:

mushpasta1.JPG

Because of a rather carniverous lunch at Peter Lugers today, we did a meatless version tonight, in a lighter aoli with garlic:

mushpasta3.jpg

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Beautiful.

Which did you prefer?

They were both really good. I can see preparing both again.

HWOE and I hit Chelsea Market* today, and so dinner was:

skin-on tail-cut of Artic char, sauteed in clarified butter

Jasmine rice cooked according to Seductions of Rice

Nuked asparagus spears, sauced with reduced half-and-half plus whole grain mustard, butter, and yuzu juice

mixed salad with white wine/white balsamic vinaigrette

Macari Brut (sparkling wine, North Fork of Long Island, NY)

*So I'll probably make some pasta dough soon. Also, found polenta with buckwheat (?!)

just taking a break while dinner is finishing up...

a little cook and rainy here plus i'm trying to use up all perishables before vacation on tuesday so...

meatloaf

garlic and parsleyed mashed yukon gold potatoes

sweet and sour broccoli salad

enough leftover for my dinner at work tomorrow night and sandwiches for the drive to south jersey :raz:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Dinner Saturday was a fancypants affair for friends whom we owed a favor.

We started the night with hors d'oeuvres (roasted, salted pepitas with chipotle, salsa, chips, sausage-poblano canapes, and guacamole) and cocktails (tequila shots with sangrita chasers, both served in lime halves -- idea taken from last month's Bon Appetit-- then tequila cosmopolitans) then moved on to:

squabs that had been marinated in orange juice spiked with a touch of achiote paste and grilled served over watercress tossed with orange and grapefruit juice

grilled asparagus

quinoa pilaf with scallions, green garlic, a handful of pepitas, and a white wine vinaigrette

and a salad my girlfriend composed of spinach leaves, red onion, and avocado with a papaya vinaigrette that was very good, though the details of its composition elude me. (I blame the tequila. For everything.)

We finished up with a chocolate torte with candied orange peel and toasted almonds.

Sunday night I cooked dinner for my mother. It was little more low key:

seared veal chops with a salsa of chopped orange, shallot, capers, and parsley (and tarted up with a touch of red wine vinegar)

manchego-chipotle grits cooked in cream

sauteed asparagus

and a salad of watercress and red leaf lettuce topped with shaved parmesan and date slivers with roasted hazelnuts and a sherry-lemon vinaigrette.

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

Beef Satay

1 Lb. beef round steak, cut into 3/4 by 2 inch strips

Marinade:

1/3rd cup soy sauce

1/4th cup rice wine vinegar

1 oz dry sherry

1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce

1 tsp toasted sesame oil

1 tsp black pepper

1 tsp ground coriander

1 tsp ground chipotle pepper (optional)

4 cloves garlic, minced

handful of finely chopped green onion

Peanut dipping sauce:

1/3 cup natural peanut butter

1/4 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup rice vinegar

1 minced tsp garlic

1/2 minced tsp fresh ginger

2 Tbsp sugar

1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

1 Tbsp sesame oil

1/4 cup peanut oil

1. In a food processor or blender, puree all ingredients except oils with 1/4 cup soy sauce.

2. Slowly add the oil into the feed tube in a thin stream, mixing only until they are mixed. Do not over mix.

3. Chill and use when needed. Sauce keeps up to two weeks.

Prep:

Marinate beef strips for 1/2 to 1 hour.

Place on skewars

grill on medium heat for 12 to 15 minutes, turning occasionally.

Baste with leftover marinade when turning.

Do not baste for the last 5 minutes of cooking

Serve with the peanut sauce for dipping.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

No cooking on Sunday since we spent the day at the Tokyo Thai Food festival and ate enough food to last us for a week!

Monday dinner:

grilled shishamo -- small "pregnant" fish (my husband hates it when I call them that!) eaten head to tail wonderful sac of eggs and all.

simmered kabocha

mizuna namul (Korean style salad)

hiyayakko -- cold tofu topped with some quickly sauteed garlic stems and tamari soy sauce

Japanese rice

dessert:

ice cream

The whole meal cost about $5 for 5 people (3 little ones)!

Um, to get back to the original question: Looks like maybe half-and-half, but the package doesn't say.  Just "farina mista di granoturco e grano saraceno"  (maize flour mixed with buckwheat flour).  It's a fine cornmeal, with small dark shards of buckwheat.  Apparently this is "Taragno style" to be cooked with butter and Branzi, Bitto, or Casera cheese.

Ah! Thanks for bypassing the silliness to clarify, Suzanne. I doubt I'd be able to find it here, but perhaps I'll try "making" my own by combining very finely-ground cornmeal (or corn flour) with buckwheat.

Asian Barbecued Chicken (another CL recipe)

Baked potatoes (rubbed in salt and baked for 1 hour at 400 -- no foil)

Salad (mishmosh of vegetables)

Lucien Albrecht Pinot Gris

Triple Butterscotch Boston Cream Pie (CL recipe)