• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

Please.  One night, just make a Junior League recipe.

As if!! Truly, I find myself furtively skulking into the kitchen after reading one of Jin's dinner posts -- like I so totally have no business going in! What, I ask myself, do I think I'm going to DO there??!?

Ack.

Please bear in mind this is a professional kitchen and I have two to three assistants, most days. Meals are for from ten to twenty people. I only post this stuff to give some ideas.

It's all easy, really. Just make every grocery trip a foraging expedition. Let every ingredient invite exploration. Always refine technique. And always ask yourself, "Will this make St. Jacques of Pepin cry or be happy?"

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

As if!! Truly, I find myself furtively skulking into the kitchen after reading one of Jin's dinner posts -- like I so totally have no business going in! What, I ask myself, do I think I'm going to DO there??!?

Ack.

Please bear in mind this is a professional kitchen and I have two to three assistants, most days. Meals are for from ten to twenty people. I only post this stuff to give some ideas.

It's all easy, really. Just make every grocery trip a foraging expedition. Let every ingredient invite exploration. Always refine technique. And always ask yourself, "Will this make St. Jacques of Pepin cry or be happy?"

Thank you for clarifying. I feel soooo much better, though I suspect Jacques will still be shedding a few tears this week.

Ack.

What, you mean you dont eat all that yourself?!! There I go all disillusioned again.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Friday: leftover khmer chicken curry.

Later: Sapphire martinis and french fries (not homemade).

Saturday: carnitas (thanks, Jaymes!) and guacomole. cline syrah.

Sunday: potato, red pepper, and zucchini gratin. little more leftover curry. big glass of port for dessert.

Quick after-work dinner:

Vegetarian burger with red onion and horseradish mustard on kaiser roll

A very large pickle

Salad of green beans, sugar snap peas, red onion and red bell pepper in anchovy-evoo vinaigrette

Ginger tea for dessert

Fimbul, it's asparagus-rama at the markets around town right now, isn't it? We've been eating a lot of it too. I keep hoping English peas will show up but we haven't seen them yet in Takoma. :hmmm:

You're awesome, Jin. Truly.

Tonight:

Raspberry/Ancho-Glazed Pork Loin

Baslamic-roasted root vegetables (parsnip, carrot, celeriac, candy-cane beets)

Timbale of sweet potato and pear

Masoor dal with sauteed cabbage - nutty, grainy, and HOT. Served with an enormous plain salad for me, and a dressed salad and pile of pilau rice for the person in the house who is NOT worrying about egullet induced spread.

Slow roasted tomatos with garlic, olive oil and oregano on griddled cheese bread

Poached baby leeks, jersey royal potato and romaine lettuce with sauce gribiche.

The sauce split on me and I couldn't repair it, but it tasted great never the less.

Fimbul, it's asparagus-rama at the markets around town right now, isn't it? We've been eating a lot of it too. I keep hoping English peas will show up but we haven't seen them yet in Takoma. 

Indeed. At the Del Ray market I'm finding little but asparagus, arugula, spring onions, and a vendor who sells fabulous mushrooms for barely more than my week's worth of lunch money. :wacko: It's worth it though; the Black Trumpets I bought there were divine and I'd trade my soul for more morels like I had the other week.

Last night was my SO's turn to cook:

Ancho- and Chipotle-rubbed pork tenderloin

Shiitakes tossed with ...fish sauce? sauteed in chile oil

Zucchini and yellow squash simmered in citrus juices and a touch of chicken stock.

Served with iced tea and a single bottle of wheat beer. I too am trying to lose weight. :angry:

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

This is my first post on this board, but I thought it turned out very good so here goes:

Pureed Red Lentil and Roasted Red Pepper Soup with Tahini (I was trying to recreate a soup I had at Zaytinya in DC and mad eit even better in my humble opinion)

Arugala and Red Pepper Salad with a Pomegranate / Olive Oil dressing

Bill Russell

bilrus, that sounds nice. How is the tahini incorporated into the soup? Is it just a dab or a swirl atop or is it mixed in?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Grilled bone-in (it's a handle) pork loin chops flash-fried with an acho powder and panko crust.

Jin-

Is the chop grilled then flash fried ? For how long? to what effect? It sounds like something I would like to try.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

FM, yes. Grilled with a rub of EVOO, ancho paste, salt and pepper, garlic until seared but pink inside. Let rest a bit. Just roll in seasoned panko and throw into the deep-fryer at about 450 for only...well, a minute or so. Nicely browned crispy crust, grilled flavour inside.

Very nice to see the asparagus harvest rolling Eastward. Those interested might consider documenting their asaparguses of 2003.

Last evening, nice veal loin chops, browned in the pan, pretty good hit of white vermouth and a handful of big old sage leaves. At the end, chops removed, what was in the pan reduced, enriched with cream and seasoning-corrected, previously sauteed sliced mushrooms and the chops added back in. Smashed red potatoes with garlic and chives, not even trying to be anywhere near pureed. Nice Romaine salad dressed with truffle oil and white wine vinegar. Ficelle from the French Vietnamese bakery.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Last night I tried a recipe from Amanda Hesser's new book, "Cooking For Mr. Latte". I believe the name of it was "Mr. Latte's Roast Chicken With Sour Cream and Mango Chutney".

Here's the menu in full.

Sour Cream Roast Chicken With Mango Chutney

Couscous

Steamed fresh vegetables

Diet Dr. Pepper

Butterfinger Ice Cream

No wine was served :(.

bilrus, that sounds nice. How is the tahini incorporated into the soup? Is it just a dab or a swirl atop or is it mixed in?

I mixed it in, as I actually made the soup on Sunday and served it on Monday.

I think it might be a little strong if it isn't fully incorporated and it wouldn't add much to the look of the bowl, since the color of the soup is a pale-ish yellow.

I didn't put too much of it in - maybe 2 tbs to ten cups of soup.

Bill Russell

Tuesday dinner:

2 adults

5 kids

tagliatelle with bolognese sauce (Marcella Hazan)

coleslaw (using the up everything I had in my vegetable drawer)

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Soups and Sandwiches:

1) Wild mushroom (morel, black trumpet, eryingi, lobster, reconstituted porcini) soup with tarragon.

Croque monsieur (but with fruilano, pecorino, and chopped panchetta).

2) Lobster bisque with lemongrass and coriander.

Lobster ban mhi with a touch of sirracha cile.

3) Tomato water consomme with peeled "grape" tomatoes and basil oil.

Sltilton and caramelized red onion in a bap.

Well, I do admit to using the foraging approach, especially when I shop at one of our local farmers' markets. Returned earlier this afternoon from just such an expedition with several ingredients that beckoned during my rounds: a couple bunches green garlic, pea shoots, sugar snap peas, a Bacon avocado, and 6 sand dab fillets. Guess I'll go exploring . . .

A colleague of HWOE stayed to dinner after a meeting:

Fettucine (bought dried) with artichokes, peas, thyme, and scallions (inspired by Deborah Madison, Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone)

Pan-grilled veal loin chops

Mixed salad (watercress, Belgian endive, radicchio, red leaf, and romaine) with mustard/garlic vinaigrette (mixed a couple o weeks ago and sitting in the fridge waiting to be used up)

Paumanok Barrel Select Chardonnay; I finished off the Paumanok Festival chardonnay while I was cooking :blush:

Last night:

Catfish marinated in mustard/bourbon reduction/molasses/olive oil, crusted with pecans and pan-fried, lemon-thyme beurre noisette

Haricots verts in a vinegar dressing, sprinkled with bacon

Last night was Cornish game hens, semi-boned and rubbed with blood orange juice, habaneros, and achiote paste and left to sit overnight and think about what it had done. Seared in a cast-iron pan and finished in the oven. (Eh.)

Green beans quickly steamed and tossed with a diced serrano and some pepitas I'd sauteed together in olive oil. (Eh.)

Salad of arugula, green garlic, and cucumber, with a lemon-yogurt vinaigrette (Pretty good.)

Pretty colors though.

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.