• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

Made the lovely roast pork for myself last night. Went out for steak tonight. The next 4 nights dinner shall consist of chicken broth and tea. :angry:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Thursday dinner:

bakmi goreng--Indonesian style stirfried noodles with pork, cabbage, carrots, and onions

Indonesian style red curry with hard boiled eggs, fava beans and chickpeas

Tomato salad

Jasmine rice

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

In an attempt to clean out the crisper before the whole thing just turns black and rots away:

white bean soup with lots of rosemary, garlic, some greens

braised cavolo nero

asparagus risotto

They were all fine, but not what I was in the mood for. Currently contemplating the pros and cons of a much-craved PB&J.

Since I bought some fresh water chestnuts over the weekend, I made: shrimp lo mein with diced water chestnuts, bean sprouts (unplucked :wink: ), snow peas, green peas, diced red bell pepper, and lots of cilantro.

The water chestnuts were SOOOOOOOOOOO sweet and crunchy. How can anyone not love them? Or maybe those who hate them never had fresh? (Canned are indeed vile. :angry: )

Since I bought some fresh water chestnuts over the weekend, I made: shrimp lo mein with diced water chestnuts, bean sprouts (unplucked  :wink: ), snow peas, green peas, diced red bell pepper, and lots of cilantro.

The water chestnuts were SOOOOOOOOOOO sweet and crunchy.  How can anyone not love them?  Or maybe those who hate them never had fresh?  (Canned are indeed vile.  :angry: )

I am so jealous!!

I still have yet to taste a fresh water chestnut! :sad:

Maybe if you could slip some into the care package of cilantro that I should be recieving soon..... :biggrin:

For dinner tonite for the people I work for,

Moroccan Tabbouleh with toasted goat cheese

Rainbow Trout Almondine with dungeness crab and buerre noisette

Penne with Roasted garlic pesto

fresh steamed big asparagus, dusted with lemon zest

Individual sharfenberger chocolate cakes injected with framboise, fresh raspberry sorbet, raspberry popper meringes

The hor's douvers were variations on serving Kelley's Katch Caviar

The wines were

with cocktails - Guenoc syrah and Mason Sauvignon Blanc

with dinner - Chateau la Rogue Cuvee Clos des benedictins 2000, Rosemont estate show reserve coonawarra cabernet 1999 and Veuve Cliquot NV brut

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Thursday dinner was a weirdity. I was both trying out new flavors and trying to empty the fridge, so it became an odd mishmash. It went a little like this:

Achiote-Spiked Quinoa with Toasted Pepitas

Seared Tuna Steaks with Orange-Habanero Salsa Verde

Rainbow Chard Sauteed in Ancho Chile oil

Thily Sliced Cold Roast Veal Chop

Served with plonk sparkling wine.

It was pretty good, considering it was one of those meals where nothing seemed to be going right at all until I had it all on the table.

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

just pulled a scotia out of the oven. think stromboli without the meat - served by my friend joyce's mom, connie, whenever a sicilian/napolese family need something to eat without meat for the holidays. homemade pizza dough rolled out in a rectangle, topped with a tomato sauce(no meat so NOT gravy), and romano cheese chunked, grated fine and grated like mozzarella.

baby greens, evoo, and a little extra sauce for dipping the pieces in.

ohhhhhhhhhhhh....... another 10 minutes and it will be cool enough to eat. :wub:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Friday night:

simmered daikon radish with aburage (deep fried tofu packets)

miso flavored stir fry of eggplants and shishito (Japanese pinky sized green peppers, occasioanlly spicy)

hiyayakko (cold tofu) garnished with a soy-vinegar-sesame seed-garlic-Korean ped pepper dressing and sprinkles with shiso and yaki-nori

tomato slices sprinkled with salt

Japanese rice

dessert:

mango

Asparagus. First of the new season, plain with melted butter, parmesan

Salmon en croute. The old George Perry-Smith recipe with currants and ginger. Still spectacular

Hollandaise

Baby Lettuce and arugula Salad (the thinnings from the garden)

Ballontine of chicken, roast.

Sage and Onion Sausagemeat stuffing

New potatos

Purple sprouting broccoli

Jus

Cheesecake with balsamic strawberries (anything to get some flavour into those hot house horrors)

Cheeses with pumkin seed bread (Munster, Stilton, Cothersdale, Montgomery cheddar)

Coffee, cinnamon balls

grilled rack of lamb with a spice rub. ok, i admit, it was col. klink's spice rub. and, ok, i admit, it's been in tuperware for about 4 months. but, it still had flavor and made a nice dish. seared over high heat and then set in the back, finished with indirect heat.

long grain rice.

roasted brussels sprouts. so freaking good these things are. i think i could live on them.

potato/ green beans crustless pie (collective wisdom of Marcela, Del Conti, Saveurs editors and other genoise people). True to italian american spirit, baked with bratwurst on top :raz: Picture to follow...

edit: honorable mention: by-product in form of potato skins: fed to the daughter with a lot of creme fraiche and sea salt..

Edited by helenas (log)

Mmmm creme fraiche & sea salt. Oh yes and some potato skins.

Last evening, poulet frites. Yukon Gold potatoes from the guy at the farmer's market for the frites, very very light interiorally, less substantial than russets. Not bad. Organic spring mix from another guy at the farmer's market, toasted walnuts, goat cheese, dressed with walnut oil, white wine vinegar. Baguette from the Vietnamese French baker. Cotes du Rhone, also organic, for some reason.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Saturday night dinner:

rei shabu shabu salad--thinly sliced pork cooked shabu shabu style (dipped briefly in not quite boiling water) then plunged into an ice bath, drained then placed on a bed of mizuna, topped with grated daikon radish and then covered witha sudachi based ponzu sauce.

simmered taro and green beans

celery kinpira (a quick stir fry with soy, sake and shichimi-seven spice powder)

Japanese rice

Dessert:

pineapple

Chive soup (seafood and chicken stock, white wine, shallots, chives, pureed, strained) with a large grilled sea scallop.

Unagi (grilled eel) on a square of nori with an onigiri (rice ball) with some of the unagi sauce in the centre.

Salad of marinated shaved cucumber and slivered scallions with a sake vinaigrette and aburage (deep-fried tofu skins).

Black and blue strip loin sliced sashimi thin with shoyu/wasabi dipping sauce and kimchi pancakes.

Gohan (Japanese white rice) mixed with Korean sticky brown rice and Lunberg Farms short grain brown with gomasio with a poached egg and guajillo chile flakes.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Sunday (Easter) dinner:

Our Easter BBQ with friends was rained out, so we spent the day at the pool (indoor) with the kids, later we ate:

Vietnamese style fresh spring rolls with tuna (sahimi style), pork, bean sprouts, cucumbers, carrots, bibb lettuce, mint and cilantro

baby corn, young coconut, and shiitake mushroom soup (from Thai Food)--this was great!!

dessert:

lemon-almond- polenta cake served with raspberry sauce and whipped cream (from the current issue of Eating Well)

Easter Dinner:

Shrimp Cocktail with homemade red sauce

Deviled eggs

Smoked rib roast

Romano Potatoes

Broccoli with Lemon Butter

Dill Bread

Dessert

Angel Food cake with strawberries and Blue Bell Vanilla Ice Cream

Stop Family Violence

Penne with sour cream, peas, leftover roasted tuna, capers, dill, sea salt, scrape of black pepper

Brownies

Brunch was nice too:

Toasted lurpak-buttered baguette slabs topped with sauteed spinach, poached eggs and snipped tarragon

friday night:

leftover asparagus risotto panko-ed and deep fried

halved grape tomatoes thrown in a frying pan with some garlic and olive oil, mixed with torn fresh basil, lots of salt and pepper, a light splash of vinegar

saturday night, digging frantically through the freezer:

horrible frozen gyoza. i have a hard time accepting gyoza that don't contain chives, i think.

leftover miso shiru with potatoes, onion, wakame, scallions

one bottle of sierra nevada

Definitely time to go food shopping.

Colombian red beans. Cooked with beef, smoked sausage, potatoes, sweet plantains, plenty of green onions and tomatoes.

Served on top of rice and sprinkled with cilantro.

Dessert: orange polenta short bread cookies (from Babbo's book) and store bought French Vanilla ice cream.

FM

Edited by FoodMan (log)

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Monday dinner:

simmered kinme (a red skinned fish I don't know the English name of) and mitsuba (trefoil) in soy-sake-konbe broth

shirae (tofu dressing) of sugar sanp peas and carrots (recipe: http://recipes.egullet.com/recipes/r328.html )

bacon and mushroom saute (with shiitake,shimeji,enoki, eryngii)

Japanese rice

dessert:

the rest of the polenta-almond-lemon cake with yogurt cream and raspberry sauce

Edited by torakris (log)

fresh egg noodles from the Bronx (Pappardelle?) with Porcini, Cremini and Shittakke red wine/beef broth/butter sauce with lamb sausage:

mushpasta1.JPG

Extreme closeup of sauce in pan:

mushpasta2.JPG

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host