• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

We had a fresh ham tonight roasted with sage and garlic. It ws accompanied by roasted squash mashed potatoes with garam masala, green beans with lemon grass and ginger, apple, rhubarb onion sauce and Z-H gewurtztraminer Turkheim 1992. What was interesting about the meal was that the ham was from a heritage breed - Gloucester Old Spot, obtained from a local pig farm dedicated to raising and preserving heritage breed pigs. I took a trip out there yesterday to pick the pork up (Flying Pigs Farm - Shushan, N.Y.). The farmers and the pigs are very sociable. The meat itself was rather tasty and much leaner than I expected. It was cooked to 151 degrees internal temperature and still remained moist and flavorful. These pigs are on the verge of extinction. Their future depends on the market for them. If this ham was any indication, they deserve a market and therefore a future as a breed.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Steamed asparagus with a Stilton and white port sauce on toasted sourdough points.

Mashers (cream and butter held together by Yukon gold potatoes) with pickled green peppercorns strewn atop and kassler (smoked pork loin chop, grilled) slathered with smoked paprika.

Small salad of sauteed chopped kale with a few hot double-smoked lardons and a cool poached egg. Lime vinaigrette.

Clear tomato water consomme with a piece of ocean perch and chopped chives.

Cheeses: St Morgan, raw milk camembert, twelve year Canadian cheddar (with pickled pear slices and grilled tortilla triangles).

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

For Saturday's Morimoto-Sakai King of Iron Chefs faceoff we had Reuben sandwiches. Cotes du Rhone.

I did like how Chairman Kaga chose bell peppers as the Theme Ingredient for this heartrending battle. Sakai (who won) is obviously a great chef, but Morimoto ain't no slouch, neither. He Morimoto actually made bell peppers look almost appetizing, quite a feat.

Looking forward with trepidation to Sakai vs. Chen Kenichi ....

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Monday dinner:

put togehter in less then 20 minutes!

fresh sardines cooked kabayaki style (with soy and mirin)

stirfry of bean sprouts, cabbage, white, onion and carrots drizzled with ponzu

cucumber salad with sesame dressing

Japanese rice with furikake and nori

everyone, including husband!, fell asleep by 8:00 so no dessert

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

So last night was sablefish night. Xanthippe, Jin, thanks so much for that suggestion. The texture is indeed beautiful and it is not too fishy. It is rather expensive but entirely worth it.

I've never had to store fish before, can I just put it in the refrigerator or should it go in the freezer? Can't wait to have the left overs for dinner tonight - I think this time I just want to bake it, unless someone has a better suggestion. I want to taste the texture with a slightly drier cooking style.

Xanthippe - I think the other cheeses are Provolone, Swiss, Mozzarella and Muenster. Not sure of that last one. The Fire-In-Your-brain mustard - I'm going to have to find out what that brand of mustard is - it has that wasabi brain clearing capacity but ofcourse, it just come sout of a standard burger joint squeeze bottle, so I have no idea where they get it.

Believe it or not, Guajolote turned me on to this Blimpy Burger place. And I've been living in Ann Arbor for 9 years! I'd heard wonderful stuff about the place but never ventured in because I'm vegetarian. To think I've been missing all those calories!

Glad to hear you liked the sablefish, indiagirl. How did you end up preparing the leftovers the following evening?

As to storing fish, the refrigerator's fine for a couple days; longer than that, I would definitely freeze to prevent it from becoming fishy. Where folks get into trouble is when the fish is no longer impeccably fresh. Very offputting, even to a fish fanatic.

MUST attempt to replicate that Ultimate Cheese Sandwich! Thanks for the additional information w.r.t. to the other cheeses and the mustard; I'm sure I have several mustards on hand that will provide the "wasabi brain clearing" effect you describe. Great taste as well as refreshingly clear sinuses!! :smile:

Roasted asparagus

Roasted red farm market potatoes with evoo and rosemary

Grilled shrimp skewers with thyme-cayenne-evoo marinade, red pepper and onion

Grilled cremini mushrooms

Grilled pineapple with black pepper-rum-butter-brown sugar sauce, vanilla bean ice cream

-Homemade Pizzas- One Margarita with fresh Mozz and Basil, and one topped with marinated preserved eggplant, balsamic caramelized onions, mushrooms and Tallegio cheese.

The second one sounds like a great combination! Do you marinate/preserve the eggplant yourself?

Sorry it took me a while to respond but I've been away from the board for a few days. I do marinate and preserve the eggplant myself. However, I cannot claim ownership of the recipe :smile:, it's from Mario Batali's first cookbook "Simple Italian Food" and it is a delicious snack on some crusty bread, added to pasta or on top of Pizza. PM me if you would like the recipe it is very easy even though it takes some time for the eggplant to be ready.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Sunday-

- Stuffed bone-in 4-rib pork loin. The stuffing was a mixture of pine nuts, basil, corn bread crumbs, and one egg. Roasted until the crackling got golden brown and crisp.

-Saffron spiced rice. From Roden's book, cooked with saffron, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom in chicken stock.

-Dessert: chocolate tarts

Monday-

-Eggplant with Tahini and yogurt.

-Indian Chickpea flat bread

-Leftover grilled chicken thighs

-Dessert : Chocolate Souffles

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

yesterday:

Mario's duck/pork crepinettes, demoted to patties due to absence of caul fat;

smashed russets with wilted baby spinach and creme fraiche;

fresh radishes;

today:

cubanelle peppers stuffed with salmon, chorizo and rice;

slow roasted asparagus courtesy of Paula Wolfert;

fresh mozzarella;

generic Pinot Noir;

To jazz this up, we might consider what we can make for dinner with the ingrediants in our refrigerators, pantry and freezers. I. e., spontaneity. What can you do with what you have on the spot. In what time frame can you produce this meal? Etc.

Anyone interested?

:smile:

Edited by Motochef (log)

Motochef! Enjoying fine food while motorcycle touring.

Motoblog! Motochef's Notes, Comments and Points of Interest

Motochef!

To jazz this up, we might consider what we can make for dinner with the ingrediants in our refrigerators, pantry and freezers.  I. e., spontaneity.  What can you do with what you have on the spot.  In what time frame can you produce this meal? Etc.

Anyone interested?

You should start another thread on this! Or search for an old one, maybe we can resurrect it.

But I don't want to tell ANYONE what's in my fridge.

Uh . . . I'm serious.

Noise is music. All else is food.

To jazz this up, we might consider what we can make for dinner with the ingrediants in our refrigerators, pantry and freezers.  I. e., spontaneity.  What can you do with what you have on the spot.  In what time frame can you produce this meal? Etc.

Anyone interested?

This is how I cook about 90% of the time! :biggrin:

I am on a very limited budget and I try to stretch my shopping trips as long as possible.

Keep reading you will see some interesting things I pull together.

Yeah, me too. I usually open up the fridge and throw a meal together. Usually takes an hour and some.

I do groceries about once every two weeks from the local produce market and buy about 3-4 brown bags of mostly fresh produce.

And then I make dinner for us based on what wilts the fastest and what stays fresh the longest.

Staples like eggs, yoghurt, cream, bread, butter, cheese, cilantro are acquired on an as needed basis.

Of late, I have been trying to expand my horizons and so I've been cooking more from recipe books. This entails trips to the store that our tailored to one meal - this used to be a rare event in my life, now I perhaps do it once a week.

Also, each time we go to the produce market, I make my husband pick out some fresh vegetable that we have never tasted before. Then I experiment with it. It's fun!

Cooked property for the first time in AGES last night. I've just finished a big project, so it's the first time I've had a chance to cook and enough energy to do so. :rolleyes:

Haddock poached in pino grigo (inoffensive to the point of being boring in the glass, but not bad for cooking delicately-flavoured things)

A very rough salsa verde (things I had in the fridge/garden: parsley, mint, anchovy in oil, capers, EVOO, lemon)

Boiled new potatoes

Salad leaves with celery and more EVOO & lemon

It all ended being quite nice, and even a little Spring-like. :smile:

Cold's almost gone -- mostly congestion now. Been doing takeout over the weekend. Made a huge batch of stock on Sunday.

Monday:

Chicken soup with orzo, peas, fava beans and mint

Green salad with a white wine viniagrette

A baguette

LOTS of Evian.

------------

Tuesday:

Congee, topped with shredded chicken stir-fried with fermented black beans, garlic, chiles and minced scallions

Steamed broccoli

Green tea

Tangelos

My girlfriend's father gave us a gabillion or so leeks from his garden over the weekend, so, last night, we caramelized them and spread them on focaccia dough, then baked them until the crust was almost crisp. Then we topped the focaccia with crumbled stilton and some shaved parmesan, and finished the whole shebang on high heat. Served this with a salad of spinach leaves, romaine, and thinly sliced endive leaves tossed with a lemon-garlic vinaigrette. Drank with this a slightly chilled rose'.

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

Salad of slow roasted plum tomatoes with cubes of fennel and anise oil.

Morel omelette (very tender and custardy inside) with deep-fried asparagus stalk shavings and gomasio sprinkled atop on a bed of Japanese rice.

Parsnip puree with a slice of roast leg of lamb atop, jus sprinkled around.

A large wonton of chicken liver and bacon in a lemon dashi (bonito and kombu) broth with snipped chives.

Chive pancakes with smoked rainbow trout and creme fraiche with lemon zest.

For twenty-five.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Lamb kebobs marinated in lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and rosemary (used the rosemary branches for skewers)

Rice and bulgar pilaf with dill

Turkish carrot salad (grated carrots dressed with a yogurt/cumin/mint dressing)

Tzatiki with pita bread to start

Everyone was eating so well last night!

That focaccia with leeks and blue cheese sounded incredible I am going to give it a try!

Weds dinner:

was watching my friend's 2 children, so with 5 kids at the table:

Japanese style curry rice with potatoes, carrots and onions topped with a hamburger patty and hard boiled eggs

Japanese rice

Dessert:

double chocolate cookies and milk