• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

Salmon parmentier - the top was from roasted cauliflower, chorizo and baked potatoes, coarsely chopped in food processor and mixed with creme fraiche.

The recipe was inspired by the article on parmentiers in "Cuisine et Vins de France" magazine and the result was truly outstanding!

The lamb shank from Saturday's dinner:

fc5bd4bf.jpg

Wednesday:

-Hake fillets seared in butter and oil then finished in the oven, topped with a light saffron/gralic cream sauce.

-shallot and Balsmaic butter esparagus risotto.

-Haagen Daaz Dulce de Leche ice cream for dessert

fc5bd4be.jpg

Thursday:

-Homemade Pizzas- One Margarita with fresh Mozz and Basil, and one topped with marinated preserved eggplant, balsamic caramelized onions, mushrooms and Tallegio cheese.

-Desserts: brown sugar peach tarts with Devon custard.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

-shallot and Balsmaic butter esparagus risotto.

Beautiful.

Elaborate.

Please.

Chop shallots finely (about 2Tbsp) saute in a little butter until slightly browned. Melt 2 Tbsp butter and mix in about half of that balsamic vinegar (or more if you like), add some fresh thyme and S&P to taste. Mix in the shallots in the balsamic butter and you have shallot and Balsmaic butter "sauce". I just blanched the

esparagus and cut them into large pieces then tossed them in the sauce. When the risotto is pretty much done I just mixed the sauced esparagus in there. Give it a try, it is very very good.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Ate out again tonight. :sad:

But, I went to my first Slow Food meeting so it was a worthy cause, no? The meeting was very focussed on sustainable agriculture (as opposed to the hedonistic part of the slow food movement!). A woman, whose name I cannot remember and who had written a book about rice made a little presentation on it - I must confess to not being at all impressed with her. There were also two people there from a company called Lotus foods - they are importing different kinds of heirloom varieties from Bangladesh, Bhutan, etc. Wonderful, wonderful rice.

Thanks for the fish tips, Xanthippe and Jinmyo. I'll report back here, fer shure.

Dinner tonight : Ultimate Cheese Sandwich from Blimpy Burger. Sigh.

FoodMan,

Trotter has a dish like this except he serves the sauce with Pumpkin Tortellini...

Awbrig-

I gave the recipe to Charlie a while back... :biggrin:

I am assuming you are talking about the Balsamic butter sauce? I'm sure it would go great with pumpkin. I actually got the recipe for the esparagus from this Wednesday's "Houston Chronicle"'s Food section. However tossing the stalks in risotto was entirely my idea :smile:

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Just finished Friday dinner:

no husband so the kids had retort pack curry with Japanese rice

I had a bowl of rice with a tin of sanma kabayaki ( saury pike with a soy based sauce, think sardines in ac an with soy sauce), eaten straight form the can and half an avocado eaten with a spoon right out of the shell, sprinkled with salt and a squeeze of lime.

dessert:

still deciding wether or not to prepare something, I guess it will depend on how much time I spend on egullet! :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Thurs:

ma po tofu

fried rice (minced ginger, minced garlic, rice, scallions, sesame oil)

steamed broccoli

ginger tea

endless amounts of fluids

lots of sleep.

I'm on my way out, but not quite there yet. Hope springs eternal.

Can I say that I loathe orange juice now? After I get over this cold, I don't even want to LOOK at a carton of orange juice. :angry:

Soba

Thanks for the fish tips, Xanthippe and Jinmyo. I'll report back here, fer shure.

Dinner tonight : Ultimate Cheese Sandwich from Blimpy Burger. Sigh.

Looking forward to your report, indiagirl. Tomorrow night, I'm hoping to make Judy Rogers' recipe for ethereal sea bass, leeks, and potatoes with thyme; I will be using either sablefish, striped bass, or tilapia (whichever I can find) as a substitute for the sea bass.

Is Blimpy Burger a chain? Never heard of it. And what is the "Ultimate Cheese Sandwich"?? :unsure: I adore cheese . . . :wub::wub:

"Chicken-fried" strips of London broil, marinated first in Perk's Lemon Blast

Reheated l.o. Basmati rice mixed with marinade from meat (then recooked)

Steamed chayote cubes

Cilantro garnish

Avocado/orange/pickled onion salad plates (small)

Mixed salad with creamy yogurt/garlic dressing

Brooklyn Brown beer

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

Blimpy Burger is Ann Arbor's oldest burger joint.

Ultimate Cheese Sandwhich

Onion Roll

Grilled Onions

Grilled Banana Peppers

One Fried Egg

Five Kinds of Cheese - one of which is Blue Cheese

Optional - Lettuce, Fire in your Brain Mustard

Fat bomb but so so so so good. All for a mere $3.50. I was feeling virtuous so I passed on the fries and/or onion rings.

:cool:

Tonight, had a dessert invitation at the neighbors so dinner was a quickie. I was offered the left over rice from last night's rice tasting (Bhutanese red, Bangaldeshi KaliJira, Chinese Forbidden Rice, Jasmine Rice all mixed together in a ziploc bag)

Stir fried some red chillies, sesame seeds, scallions, poblano peppers and thinly slices mustard greens, added the rice, cracked an egg on top. All those different rice flavors.

Dessert - Lemon Meringue Pie, Apple Tart.

I am getting ready to go out tonight (with friends not family! :biggrin: )

so I have made for husband and the kids:

best beef chili (from March&April 2003 Cook's Illustrated)

with avocado and black olives

dessert:

carrot cake (sans frosting, I hate cream cheese frosting) from the same magazine.

I just ate a piece right now (someone had to test it!) and it was really good, very moist.

Feelin' lazy . . . friends have a new grill and a new baby, so . . .

About a hundred skewers--chicken breast, pork tenderloin, tomato, mushroom, onion, pepper, etc, etc. After we assembled the grill, of course.

Deli baked beans and potato salad.

Chocolate-merlot cake.

Probably about a hundred Bell's Oberon. :wacko:

Noise is music. All else is food.

About a hundred skewers--

:shock::sad:

chicken breast, pork tenderloin, tomato, mushroom, onion, pepper, etc, etc.  After we assembled the grill, of course.

Whew.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Torakris - the spinach salad from that issue is very good, too. I've made it several times.

Flank steak

Wild and long grain rice pilaf

Saute of veg.

Stop Family Violence

-Homemade Pizzas- One Margarita with fresh Mozz and Basil, and one topped with marinated preserved eggplant, balsamic caramelized onions, mushrooms and Tallegio cheese.

The second one sounds like a great combination! Do you marinate/preserve the eggplant yourself?

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

best beef chili (from March&April 2003 Cook's Illustrated)

with avocado and black olives

Is this the chili with beef cubes or the one with ground beef? Both are really good, but the one with beef cubes and roasted chiles takes all day and every pan in my house - at least when my husband makes it. :rolleyes:

We made the ground beef version for supper on Wed with corn tortillas and a salad.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Blimpy Burger is Ann Arbor's oldest burger joint.

Ultimate Cheese Sandwhich

Onion Roll

Grilled Onions

Grilled Banana Peppers

One Fried Egg

Five Kinds of Cheese - one of which is Blue Cheese

Optional - Lettuce, Fire in your Brain Mustard

Fat bomb but so so so so good. All for a mere $3.50. I was feeling virtuous so I passed on the fries and/or onion rings.

Oh, WOW . . . :wacko:

Would that I were in Ann Arbor and could have one right.......this......very........minute!!!!

Sounds awesome, truly. What are the other cheeses? And dare I ask about the Fire In Your Brain Mustard??

Just finished up an early Sunday BBQ dinner with my in-laws at our house:

tortilla chips with guacamole and pico de gallo

grilled sardines with EVOO and lemon

Poc Chuc-- grilled pork served with pickled onion and salsa chiltomate (from The Barbecue Bible)

grilled shiitake, peppers, and eggplant

hot dogs and hamburgers

ice cream for dessert

Dinner for 9, last night, I co-hosted with a friend who is visiting ...

Salad of Octopus marinated in lemon juice with cilantro and scallions

Grilled Tofu with a sause of miso, sake, sugar and lemon.

Sablefish En papillote with a miso-mirin-sake sauce.

Rice with scallions, sesame seeds, cilantro and red chillies

Hot chocolate souffles

So last night was sablefish night. Xanthippe, Jin, thanks so much for that suggestion. The texture is indeed beautiful and it is not too fishy. It is rather expensive but entirely worth it.

I've never had to store fish before, can I just put it in the refrigerator or should it go in the freezer? Can't wait to have the left overs for dinner tonight - I think this time I just want to bake it, unless someone has a better suggestion. I want to taste the texture with a slightly drier cooking style.

I'd never tasted octopus before, I liked the first bite but I don't think I tasted anything from the octopus, just the texture, which was not unpleasant. The second bite, which was a larger chunk, was a little chewier and not as pleasant to eat. I gave myself a little pat on the bank for having taken a step forward on the road to carnivorism and moved on.

The Hot Chocolate Souffles were from James Peterson's Fabulous French Food. The more I use that book, the more I like it.

Xanthippe - I think the other cheeses are Provolone, Swiss, Mozzarella and Muenster. Not sure of that last one. The Fire-In-Your-brain mustard - I'm going to have to find out what that brand of mustard is - it has that wasabi brain clearing capacity but ofcourse, it just come sout of a standard burger joint squeeze bottle, so I have no idea where they get it.

Believe it or not, Guajolote turned me on to this Blimpy Burger place. And I've been living in Ann Arbor for 9 years! I'd heard wonderful stuff about the place but never ventured in because I'm vegetarian. To think I've been missing all those calories!

I made dinner that was inspired by recipes from the Babbo cookbook.

Roasted Shiitake mushroom salad

Monkfish piccatta, but I used much less lemon and added a lot of grapefruit. Good twist.

Hazlenut cake, soaked with Frangelica, served with coffee ice cream.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

About a hundred skewers--

:shock::sad:

chicken breast, pork tenderloin, tomato, mushroom, onion, pepper, etc, etc.  After we assembled the grill, of course.

Whew.

The thing is, Jinmyo, I didn't do any of these tasks (other than soak the skewers and chop up the vegetables). The rest I just oversaw, gesturing with my beer bottle when I felt intervention was needed.

Last night my mom threw a going-away party for me at her fiance's house, so . . .

80 ( :shock: ) enchiladas, preparing the shells as dictated in this month's CI but not using their recipe otherwise. Chicken/beef/vegetable. Very spicy, very delicious.

About 15 different guacs, salsas, etc., brought by her friends and our family. Chips, chips, chips. Crab dips, bean dips . . . my uncle didn't move from the "dip" table once.

He said several times that the 80 enchiladas may have been overkill.

More than 20 batches of margaritas ( :wacko: ). Judging by the way I feel today, probably MUCH more than 20 batches. Talk about overkill.

Pistachio ice cream pie.

4 different types of cheesecake.

And to top it off, it was a going-away-to-culinary-school party, and my mom dressed as a Chef. :wub:

As if anyone needed reminding who my inspiration is.

Noise is music. All else is food.

I forgot to add to my BBQ list our grilled soramame, same as fava beans.

They were soaked, rubbed with salt and then grilled until well blacked, even though they were quite mature the normally tough inner skins were completely edible.

Absolutely delicious!