• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

Saturday night:

Mixed Spring Green and Frissee Salad

Lemon and Chive Risotto

Baked Whitefish, brushed with Parsley, Sage, Rosemary Crushed in EVOO

(non vegetarian dish experiment #2)

Ratatouille

Savarin with Raspberries

Sunday night:

Potato Tikkas served on a bed of

Basmati Rice with Onions and Green Peppers

Monday night:

Feeling kind of :wacko: and so I experimented with making the strangest soup I could think of. It contained:

Caviar lentils, Onions, Radishes, Cabbage, Garlic, Coconut Milk

Herbes de Provence, Garlic

Garnished with Parsley and a bit of Trader Joe's Black "Truffle" Oil

It tasted dissapointingly "normal" - husband loved it.

PS - Is it bad to consume Chilean Sea Bass? I tasted some for the first time in my life recently and loved it. What's a good substitute?

Salad of roasted beets, blood oranges and blanched beet greens in a champagne and orange vinaigrette.

Chicken roasted on a bed of sliced potatoes and onions, sauced with a reduction of cabernet, balsamic and chicken stock finished with butter.

To drink, an 83 Gigondas (hence the red wine sauce for the chicken).

Tuesday night:

poached chicken breast and avocado salad with mixed greens, white mushrooms, and cucumbers dressed with yesterday's leftover balsamic-dijon dressing

roasted cauliflower :biggrin:

satsumaimo (Japanese sweet potao) simmered in milk

Japanese rice

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

PS - Is it bad to consume Chilean Sea Bass? I tasted some for the first time in my life recently and loved it. What's a good substitute?

Alas, indiagirl, it is indeed "bad" to eat Chilean seabass aka Patagonian toothfish. :sad: You can read all about the issue and get information w.r.t. acceptable substitutes if you check out the Seafood Choices Alliance Web site, here.

Thanks, Xanthippe. I just downloaded the Right Bite card. An extremely useful reference for someone like me - it teaches me the types of edible fish there are and the ones I should not eat!

What's a good substitute for chilean sea bass in terms of being similar in flavor but not endangered?

What's a good substitute for chilean sea bass in terms of being similar in flavor but not endangered?

Sable (black cod). Similiar in texture, better flavour.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Sable (black cod). Similiar in texture, better flavour.

Rats, you beat me to it, Jinmyo! :wink: I've been using sablefish rather than Chilean seabass for a while now, and I concur: similar texture, definitely better flavor.

I am always intimidated by these dinner things (most of the ingredients y'all talk about would call for a 70 mile trip to St. Louis--cain't buy 'em here in the Ozarks), but tonight I had the best--I ran out to the chicken house and grabbed a half dozen eggs, picked a handful of asparagus out of the garden, sauteed some morels my sis and I found, scrambled the eggs with the shrooms and the sparrowgrass, homemade bread on the side. MMMMMM.

sparrowgrass

sparrowgrass, it's hard to do better than eggs with morels, asparagus, and fresh bread. A lovely meal.

Indiagirl, as Xanthippe said. :smile:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

What to do when you've got a cold.... :sad:

Monday: didn't feel like cooking, so takeout: shrimp and vegetable noodle soup, scallion pancakes. Endless amounts of orange juice, Evian, chamomile tea, peppermint tea and ginger tea.

Tuesday: was supposed to be at Jewel Bako. instead I spent all day in bed, getting up on occasion just to eat and mope. more takeout: congee with minced pork and preserved eggs; sauteed spinach with garlic. got a couple of quarts of chicken stock for soup fixins later. Endless amounts of fluids, as above. Theraflu.

Today: Not sure about dinner. I think sleep and a warm bath are on the menu. :sad: Have some tofu and veggies in the refrig, so I think soup's on tonight.

Ok, back to bed.

Soba

Soba sorry to hear you aren't feeling well :sad: , get well soon! :biggrin:

Weds night dinner:

Balinese yellow prawn curry

garlic and ginger rice (jasmine rice steamed with copius amounts of garlic ginger and cilantro)

steamed kabocha with a lime dressing and scallions

yesterday's left over satsumaimo simmered in milk

dessert:

almond custard with mandarin oranges (hung yan dofu, though in Japan it is refered to as an nin dofu)

EDIT: all of the recipes except for the kabocha are from Essentials of Asian Cuisine by Corrine Trang, a REALLY wonderful book!

Edited by torakris (log)

Last evening some very nice Dover sole, which I looked up on the Monterey Bay Aquarium site to see what's what and found, 1., fairly plentiful, and, 2., Dover sole is its actual name, not the flight of fancy I thought, have thought for years.

ANYway, nice little fillets, floured-egg washed-panko'd, fried in grapeseed oil (took just moments which was good because that's what was available), salted/peppered, landed on very crisp Romaine with Miss Priscilla's Creamy Teriyaki dressing drizzled over all. Nearly-all--crust Il Fornaio ciabatta.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Oh, Soba, another cold?! He Who Only Eats says you should wash your hands more. :rolleyes:

For tonight's dinner, I actually faithfully followed a recipe in a cookbook! :blink::shock: Cardoon Khoresh, in New Food for Life, ancient Persian and modern Iranian recipes, by Najmieh Batmanglij. A stew of beef, onion, cardoons,* parsley, and mint, flavored with saffron, turmeric, and verjus. Very, very tasty; but the next time I make it, of course I will change it so it looks prettier (no long cooking of the herbs :sad: ).

Steamed Basmati rice, cooked according to the instructions in Seductions of Rice.

Cast iron skillet-cooked sesame-coated bread (I found some old pizza dough in the fridge that needed to be used up) with dripped yogurt and Syrian zataar.

Mixed salad with balsamic vinaigrette, made as usual by HWOE. :wub:

Seltzer, because I had no idea what the stew would taste like.

*Cardoons, for those not familiar, look sort of like an oversize gray-green head of celery, and taste rather like artichokes. I looked for recipes in Elizabeth Schneider's Vegetables from Aramanth to Zucchini and she pointed toward the Persian book, which I just happened to have. Lucky me!

I'm on a definite Thai kick this week. Had simple green curry with pork & little Thai eggplants, plus larb with lots of lettuce & fresh mint/cilantro. Went freestyle on the curry (no recipe), but used the new good fish sauce (Golden Boy brand) for the first time, Thai sweet basil & fresh kaffir lime leaves found in Chinatown -- very nice.

I am always intimidated by these dinner things (most of the ingredients y'all talk about would call for a 70 mile trip to St. Louis--cain't buy 'em here in the Ozarks), but tonight I had the best--I ran out to the chicken house and grabbed a half dozen eggs, picked a handful of asparagus out of the garden, sauteed some morels my sis and I found, scrambled the eggs with the shrooms and the sparrowgrass, homemade bread on the side.  MMMMMM.

:wub:

That sounds like the bomb.

Monday @ a friend's house: tenderloin, nice and crusty on the out, linguine with braised garlic and balsamic vinegar.

Tuesday: chicken breasts with pear and rosemary sauce, salad with walnut and Gorgonzola, basmati rice, chocolate Stout cake.

Noise is music. All else is food.

i had matzoh ball soup last night

with avocado tortilla melts. you melt grated cheddar cheese in the pan first, then press the tortilla onto it, so once all the oil absorbs, the cheese is slightly crispy and burnt tasting.

Oh, I wash my hands all the time. I think the crazy weather has a lot to do with it though. In the congested nose/cough stage, so its half over thank god. :unsure:

Tofu, vegetable and noodle soup with mint: chicken stock from a takeout palace, silken tofu, blanched frozen veggies (yes, I do use them on occasion), orzo, nuoc mam, sesame oil, shredded ginger, chopped fresh mint. Pickled onions. Endless amounts of fluids, blah blah blah.

Have a hankering for fried rice tonight. Oh well, will see what's up later.

Cheers,

Soba

I'm fairly new here, so hi everybody. This is some thread!

Last night I cooked some chicken scalloppini. Made the sauce with scallions, mushrooms, white wine and cream. Also made multicolored rotini tossed with olive oil, minced fresh parsley, fresh dill, julienned red bell peppers, and minced calamati olives. My wife was in a chocolate mood, so for dessert she melted some semi-sweet, dark chocolate which we dipped fresh strawberries into. I love Spring!

Tonight will be a problem, though, since the refrigerator's pretty much empty. If I don't stop at the supermarket after work, I'll probably roast some potatoes in olive oil with garlic, rosemary, sun-dried tomatoes and anchovies, and call it a meal. At least we still have more strawberries.

Malahini welcome! It is nice to see new faces on the Dinner thread.

Thursday night:

very rushed dinner

stirfried udon noodles with pork, cabbage, onions and finished off with some mentaiko (spicy cod roe)

left over kabocha with lime and scallions

shumai (frozen)

gobo and cucumber salad with spicy mayo dressing

Japanese rice

dessert:

leftover almond custard eaten while cheering on BON (Japan Forum leader) in his quest for the TV Champion crown. (Seee the Japan forum for results!!)

Torakris,

When I'm at work and haven't eaten all day, I have to refrain from checking this thread. Hearing what you eat for dinner is much too inspiring on an empty stomach! It always sounds so wonderful. Props!

Temps topped 40 F in Michigan today, so:

Quickie tart with well-browned onion, plum tomatoes, and about a pound of goat cheese. Last minute company forced me to juilenne some basil on top.

Wine.

EDIT: this is my 400th post and I'm not going to lie--the rest of the chocolate Guinness cake for dessert. What my boss didn't inhale, that is. :wacko:

Edited by NeroW (log)

Noise is music. All else is food.