• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

Friday dinner:

WAS going to make the Zuni Cafe roast chicken bread salad, but Costco had no whole chickens for sale and then my husband called at 6:00 just as I was walking in the door from shoping with my 3 plus 2 more kids I was babysitting, to say he would be a little late and didn't need dinner.

So me and the 5 kids ate:

soft shell tacos

tortillas

ground beef

cheddar cheese

lettuce

salsa

black olives

dessert:

Costco apple pie! :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Tofu dumplings in a kombu/ginger broth with slivers of cloud ear mushrooms.

Sauteed enoki mushrooms and scallions atop deep fried nests of yakisoba noodles with drops of a thick dashi/soy/mirin glaze (ankake).

Tofu crumbled with spinach, sandwiched between slices of lotus root, battered and fried. Sprinkled with salt.

Japanese rice boiled with kombu dashi, burdock root, carrots, shoyu.

Lettuce cups smeared with miso, filled with leftover tofu spinach mixture.

Very very very plain salad with some kind of ginger dressing that I didn't make.

More cheap sake.

Tofu dumplings in a kombu/ginger broth with slivers of cloud ear mushrooms.

Sauteed enoki mushrooms and scallions atop deep fried nests of yakisoba noodles with drops of a  thick dashi/soy/mirin glaze (ankake).

Tofu crumbled with spinach, sandwiched between slices of lotus root, battered and fried. Sprinkled with salt. 

Japanese rice boiled with kombu dashi, burdock root, carrots, shoyu.

Lettuce cups smeared with miso, filled with leftover tofu spinach mixture.

Very very very plain salad with some kind of ginger dressing that I didn't make.

More cheap sake.

Boiled rice?

as in the way you boil pasta?

or more like steamed in a takikomighan style?

Saturday dinner:

Tuscan style cannellini beans baked with rosemary and garlic (from Jack Bishop's Italian Vegetarian)

tomato and bread salad

zucchini fittata recipe: http://recipes.egullet.com/recipes/r311.ht...2ecf2cc1e2f0991

dessert:

Costco apple pie

Edited by torakris (log)

Did you make the truffle butter, tommy? From bottled truffles?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

What should I make for dinner tomorow night?

No meat. Seafood.

Me brain dead.

Edit: yes, brain dead. Tomorrow, not tomorow.

Edited by NeroW (log)

Noise is music. All else is food.

What should I make for dinner tomorow night?

No meat.  Seafood.

Me brain dead.

Edit: yes, brain dead.  Tomorrow, not tomorow.

NeroW, how about a dashi with scallions and some sauteed ocean perch? Followed by linguini with grilled shrimp with a light sauce of shallots, chicken stock, and butter and chervil.

Or instead some rice with grilled skin-on trout. Peel off skin, pick up rice with it. Gomasio. Some miso shiru.

Or mussels with white wine and chiles, frites (freedom fries :rolleyes: ) with wasabi mayo?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Or mussels with white wine and chiles, frites (freedom fries :rolleyes: ) with wasabi mayo?

:sad:

I can't eat this.

:sad:

There's a huge seafood sale at the store down the road, tomorrow only.

Grilled shrimp = good.

I will keep your ideas in mind, thank you, Jinmyo.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Spatchcocked quail, some marinated in oyster sauce, soy sauce, chopped garlic and ginger, some au naturel. Grilled. Served with morels fricasseed in butter and red wine and roast cauliflower. Penfold's Koonunga Hill Shiraz-Cab.

Friday night was spent preparing food for a friend's party on Saturday night, so dinner was simple: grilled, spatchcocked game hens, grilled eggplant with garlic oil, and a salad of arugula & romaine with sherry vinaigrette.

Saturday night was food for a fete, and my girlfriend and I prepared:

sesame pork tenderloin with scallion biscuits

not-really-rillettes with toasts

cherry tomatoes halved and stuffed with yogurt, "sharp-provolone," and basil

phyllo tarts filled with goat cheese and olive tapenade or sauteed shiitakes

dixie cup shooters filled with chilled cucumber and red pepper soups

Evil Death brownies

and Tiramisu.

In addition, others brought cheeses, marinated tuna, and a noodle dish. There was a *lot* of food for what turned out to be no more than 15 people. :blink:

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

Friday:

-Fried Kibbe stuffed with ground beef, onions and pine nuts.

-Tahinni and yogurt sauce with lots of parsley (went great with the Kibbe)

-Hummus

-Tabboulli

Saturday:

-Slow braised lamb shanks

-soft polenta with butter and parmigianno regiano (sp?)

Sunday:

-Homemade Italian bread slices topped with Machego cheese, Serrano ham, and drizzled with Olio Novo. Finished with a little sprinkle of fresh Thyme.

-Spaghetti tossed with homemade chicken/pesto "sausage", broccoli, lots o garlic in a vermouth butter sauce and purple basil.

-Almond Chocolate stuffed crepes for dessert

FM

edited to add the Tahini sauce

Edited by FoodMan (log)

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Wow haven't there been some nice meals here on Dinner! lately. I continue to suffer from on-again off-again Ingredient Envy.

Saturday night was as you all know the first installment of the King of Iron Chefs tourney and well, even though we feared we knew poor little elfin Kobe was SO going down, we had dinner anyways.

Middle Eastern stuff -- hummus, tabbouleh -- the founding inspiration -- scored a big old bouquet of flatleaf parsley from the farmer's market when my garden parsley is still adolescently wiry. I showed it to my plants, thinking to encourage them. Also some mint, which, in understatement, needs no encouragement whatsoever. Early tomatoes in there, nothing to tatoo on one's forearm but still, early tomatoes.

A nice additional dish from Claudia Roden, tahini and yogurt and garlic. Bulgarian feta. Cracked green olives. The remainder of a can of dolmas. Persian cucumbers, chopped tomato, parsley, olive oil. Nice fresh pita.

Kobe lost. One looks ahead, warily, to next week when two faves duel to the death of one. But what shall we eat?

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

A nice additional dish from Claudia Roden, tahini and yogurt and garlic

Funny thing!! I actually did the exact same recipe from Roden's book to go with the Kibbe but forgot to mention it in the post above.

Thanks for the reminder :smile:

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

FoodMan, practically neo-Jungian synchronicity, that was.

What I was asking myself Saturday was how in the world have I managed to NOT make this simple delicious little extra before this.

Which size bulgur do you use in your tabbouli? I've been partial to the finest size -- is it #1 or #3 -- for years, but have enjoyed the salad with coarser grinds, too.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

FoodMan, practically neo-Jungian synchronicity, that was.

What I was asking myself Saturday was how in the world have I managed to NOT make this simple delicious little extra before this.

Which size bulgur do you use in your tabbouli?  I've been partial to the finest size -- is it #1 or #3 -- for years, but have enjoyed the salad with coarser grinds, too.

I think I use the #2 bulgur, I'll double check when I get home.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Monday night dinner:

One big salad!

mixed greens

black olives

roasted cannellini beans (just a handful was leftover from 2 nights ago)

tomatoes

homemade croutons

chicken breasted seasoned with cajun spice blend, sauteed and sliced

dressed with a balsamic-dijon dressing

Nigella Lawson's recipe for caramelized onion and lentil pilaf that appeared in last week's NY Times. Even though I had all the right ingredients (including curry leaf--not terribly easy to find), kind of a boring meal. Should have turned up the spice levels even more. The salad I made with it was good: cucumber with a dressing of Greek yogurt, olive oil, dried mint, and fresh parsley. Put me in a spring mood even though we got slushy snow today.

Just before I served dinner tonight, I got a phone call from a friend. She had to describe HER dinner-making: too tired to do much of anything, she baked a potato and started sauteeing some collard greens. Took a container of lentil soup out of the freezer, and added it to the greens, figuring she'd pour the mixture over the potato and have a full, satisfying meal. As the "soup" was melting down over the greens, she noticed there were items in it that she didn't remember having put in the lentil soup when she made it. On closer inspection, she realized it was not lentil soup at all, but a container of "Spot's Stew," a hand-made hoo-hah cat food (much like the stuff I'm working on for a client).

So she scooped it off the collards and put it away in the fridge, rinsed the greens, and proceeded with the REAL container of soup. :biggrin:

And me? Leftovers kugel, aka baked glop: various leftover starches mixed with leftover cooked chayote, various bits of cheese, and a few eggs to hold it together. Would I ever serve anything like this to company? :unsure::hmmm: But it tasted good. :biggrin: Oh, and salad made by HWOE, of course. Plus half of a bottle of Paumonok Festival Chardonnay.