• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

The huagu were dried. I reconstituted them together with kombu and used the soaking liquor in the soup, retained the stems and kombu for use in a Chinese stock. The huagu were about as big as my palm and I sliced each into about four or five pieces on the bias. I tossed them in my hoisin with chile seame oil and Chinese mushroom soy sauce. Very very dark and potent stuff. White pepper. They marinated in this for about seven hours. The sauce just naturally penetrated and glazed.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

The last of some periodic Tunisian experiments: Fricassees. Deep-fried little breads split and filled with a tomato sauce (more a kind of tomato vinaigrette), slice of tomato, black & green olives, capers, quarter of hard-boiled egg (I like mine very under hard-boiled), bit of tuna (Spanish bonito del norte - not as good as I expected), splash of harissa diluted in water.

OK, very messy to eat, kind of comfort food. But not particularly worth repeating.

v

The huagu were dried. I reconstituted them together with kombu and used the soaking liquor in the soup, retained the stems and kombu for use in a Chinese stock. The huagu were about as big as my palm and I sliced each into about four or five pieces on the bias. I tossed them in my hoisin with chile seame oil and Chinese mushroom soy sauce. Very very dark and potent stuff. White pepper. They marinated in this for about seven hours. The sauce just naturally penetrated and glazed.

Jin, Thanks!

Those sound so wonderful! I am a dried mushroom fanatic and have access to some really great ones, would a regular soy sauce not work as well?

Weds. dinner:

Yakitori (purchased)

--thighs

--thighs with Japanese leeks

--tsukune (ground chicken)

--skin

--liver

--gizzards

shungiku (Chrysanthemum leaves) and ito-konnyaku ( :biggrin: ) shira-ae

--shira-ae is a "dressing" made of tofu, sesame paste, mirin, sugar and salt

yunnanese potatoes

--boiled potato chunks stirfried in peanut oil with dried chiles and thinly sliced scallions

--this is one of my favorite recipes from Hot Sour Salty Sweet

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Kristin, Hot Sour Salty Sweet is a great book. Yes, regular shoyu would work. Re konnyaku, gah.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Teusday:

thick boneless pork chops, rubbed with crushed black pepper and fennel seeds. they were seared in a cast iron pan, added some red grapes and deglazed with gingerale!! they were finished in the oven. This creation was very moist and delicious. the fennl/grape/gingerale combination worked great.

I also served a brocolli, cucumber and carrot salad tossed with yogurt honey-mustard.

Potatoes sliced thin and cooked with cream, thyme, garlic and onions.

fc8bd722.jpg

Wednesday:

lemon chicken thighs, rubbed with chilli and cumin. seared and braised with white wine, broth and whole garlic cloves.

sauteed cauliflower with mustard seeds, ginger and turmeric.

cucumber raita.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Parsnips? That's great.

Wilted Spinach Salad (from the last Cook's Illustrated)

Sausage and Cheddar quiche

Brussell Sprouts with butter and lemon

Carrot Cake (also from CI)

This last issue was very good.

Stop Family Violence

Last night: broiled skinless boneless chicken breasts, rubbed with a bit of Patak's eggplant chutney and some EVOO before popping it into the oven; scatter of chopped onions, mushrooms and bell peppers on top; steamed broccoli. Poland Spring. Roasted pears, topped with a little half and half and a sprinkle of cracked black pepper.

Tuesday: stuffed cabbage (ground pork, rice, sauteed and browned onions), with mushroom sauce; beet puree spiked with horseradish; kasha varnishkes. Peppermint iced tea. Oranges.

Monday: borscht, with sour cream and pumpernickel bread. Evian. Indian spice tea with honey and milk. Oranges.

Sunday: tom kha gai (Thai chicken soup with coconut milk, straw mushrooms and lemon grass); sticky black rice with chopped scallions, chopped peanuts, crispy fried shallots, and some minced jalapenos (for kick) sprinkled on top; poached shrimp, with dipping sauce (Chinese rice wine, mushroom soy, minced jalapeno, sugar, sesame chili oil); steamed tofu topped with orange blossom honey. Jasmine tea. Evian.

Soba

Thursday night:

Walked in the door with 3 kids at 6:45 and knowing my husband would be home at any minute I rushed into the kitchen to start dinner, I had been planing to make bibimbap but now knew there would not be enough time. I was looking into the refrigerator when the fighting started. Mia (7) and Hide (2) started fighting over whether to watch Barney or Sailor Moon, Hide lost, got made and smashed Julia (5) on the head with Mia's new umbrella, the umbrella popped open and they both started pulling at it breaking it in the process, Mia got mad because she couldn't hear the TV over the racket and told Julia if she didn't stop crying she couldn't have dessert, Julia cried more. Hide decides screw it I am going to watch Barney anyway and starts to put the video in, Mia pushes him out of the way and Hide starts crying, I come running in the living at yell at Mia to turn the TV off, Mia starts crying....

10 minutes later my husband walks in the door to see the 3 angels all playing quietly with each other! :angry:

So what did I make for dinner?

I decided to make a twice cooked pork dish using one of those instant sauce mixes but out by Cook-Do (Japanese brand) but didn't have time (or feel like) boiling the pork first, so I guess you could call it once cooked pork! :wink:

Didn't have cabbage, so used Chinese cabbage instead, no green peppers, so used shishito (Japanese small pepper), no Japanese leek, so used a red onion. Not sure what you can call it any more! :wink:

Desperately needed something else, so pulled out a bag of frozen french fries and popped it in the oven.

When the potatoes were done I realized that the rice I had made that morning was cold and had no way to heat it up since my combo oven/microwave has to completely cool down before using the microwave function.

Dinner:

once cooked pork with medley of veggies

cold Japanese rice

french fries and ketchup

Dessert:

homemade tiramisu, eaten out of the bowl with 5 spoons! :biggrin:

Monday Night:  Braised Collard Greens with Aidells Chicken Apple Sausage and Cornbread

Do you find Aidell's sausage dry? Scott always complains whever I buy lowfat sausage, so I haven't tried it yet.

Your cornbread looks delicious! What recipe do you use?

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Do you find Aidell's sausage dry? Scott always complains whever I buy lowfat sausage, so I haven't tried it yet.

Aidells is great sausage - not at all dry - a tad expensive though about $7.00 for 4 sausages...Here is their web site...

http://www.aidells.com/

The cornbread was a mix from Trader Joes - and its one of the best cornbread mixes we've eaten and it was very inexpensive - like $1.69 for the box... :smile:

Edited by awbrig (log)

Aidells is great sausage - not at all dry - a tad expensive though about $7.00 for 4 sausages...Here is their web site...

http://www.aidells.com/

The cornbread was a mix from Trader Joes - and its one of the best cornbread mixes we've eaten and it was very inexpensive - like $1.69 for the box... :smile:

Thanks awbrig! We can get it at Whole Foods. Guess I'll give it a try.

Our supper last night:

Steamed broccoli

Gkai Pad Gkaprow Our favorite recipe for this so far, and we've tried several

Jasmine rice

Sriracha

For dessert, vanilla ice cream with almonds :biggrin:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Thursday: asparagus flan, green salad dressed with a white wine viniagrette, a baguette. Poland Spring. Leftover roasted pears over French vanilla Haagen-dasz.

(FYI, I buy a six pack of Poland Spring bottled water every weekend -- these are the fat bottles which are each good for about three to four glasses of water a piece -- I don't want to give the impression that I don't drink NYC tap, but there are times, especially when dinner is like the above that plain old NYC tap won't do. Besides I happen to like Evian for its mouth feel (like drinking liquid silk) and Poland Spring for its clean crisp taste. But that's just me. :blink: )

Midnight snack: a nice bowl of leftover borscht. [Memo to self: make a beet-less borscht one of these days and compare.]

Soba

Yesterday and today's meals I am cleaning out the refrigerator/freezer in preperation for a huge shopping trip on Sunday to Thai and Korean grocery stores.

Friday dinner:

linguine with smoked salmon, fava beans and cream.

fruit salad made with Fuji apples, mandarin oranges, strawberries with a sauce of sparkling water, freshly sqeezed mandarin juice, a touch of sugar and some almond extract.

Just finished Saturday's dinner:

BIBIMBAP

with:

pork bulgoki

chrysanthemum leaves namul

carrot namul

renkon namul

stirfried napa cabbage with lots of garlic

topped with kochujang and a just barely fried egg!

Sandy made the following:

magret with red-wine fig sauce

couscous

roasted asparagus

arugula-endive-red onion salad

Cheese plate: Morbier, Bon Grivois, Montomery cheddar, Amy's baguette

Israeli dates, Greek figs, Turkish apricots, American Comice pears

Wine: German spatlese riesling 2001 (Willi Schaefer)

To come if appetite permits: passionfruit sorbet, ginger cookies, Turkish coffee

Dinner music: Clifford Brown (talk about dying too young)

Edited by ranitidine (log)

Sunday night:

Went shopping with friends at Korean and Thai supermarkets during the earlier part of the day and was hoping to have an early dinner around 4 but since we didn't even make it home until 4:30 we ended up cutting our original menu in half.

Thai meal (with help from David Thompson)

green papaya salad --very good

chicken curry with ginger and green beans --excellent

Thai style rice paper rolls

-pork strips

-shrimp

-garlic chives

-Thai basil

-cilantro

-bean sprouts

-cucumbers

-carrots

dipped into either a nampla-lime-chile-ginger sauce or doused with sriracha

dessert was ice cream for the kids

the adults (only 4 of us compared to the 8 kids) drank sangria and pina coladas before, during and after the meal. :biggrin:

Sunday dinner with some friends at our place:

- Homemade poolish Ciabbatta bruschetta: Topped with homemade Ricotta (courtesy of St. Batali), preserved eggplant (also from Batali's book), and drizzled with Jim Dixon's fantastic Olio Novo.

-Lasagna Bolognese: layers of noodles, Beef Bolognese sauce, Balsamella, parmesan and Mozzarella. Rich and delicious.

-Homemade Rum Raisin ice cream

-Chocolate Souffles with Dreyer's Natural Vanilla Ice Cream.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Went out last night, but I cooked up some food for lunch the next couple days.

Made some garlic and rosemary infused oil and put that with some chicken breast pieces with some brown rice and water in a slow cooker to cook while we went to dinner. Turned out pretty nice.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario