• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

Sunday supper

Asparagus salad with Serrano ham, blue cheese and a sherry vinaigrette

Arrossejat de Fideus amb Llagosta -- a Catalan dish of sautéed pasta with lobster. YUM!

Finished with Ben & Jerry's Cheery Garcia frozen yougurt.

Tom Kha soup with mushrooms (not shown)

Thai Green Curry with Sliced Blade Steak, Snap Peas and Eggplant

In the wok.

greencurry1.jpg

Plated, over coconut rice:

greencurry2.jpg

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Pictures are great, thanks Jason..is their coconut milk in the recipe, and do you find the coconut rice a bit much? I always think of doing both, but chicken out and do the regular jasmine rice.

BTW, Kris, if I send you a digital camera, will you post photos?? :shock::laugh::biggrin: And snowangel, I want pix of Diana cooking..or better yet perusing all the cokbooks, deciding on the meal! :biggrin:

Pictures are great, thanks Jason..is their coconut milk in the recipe, and do you find the coconut rice a bit much?  I always think of doing both, but chicken out and do the regular jasmine rice.

Theres no coconut milk in the rice, just coconut shavings. Rachel will post the recipe soon on recipes.egullet.com

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Very very nice, Jason.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Pictures are great, thanks Jason..is their coconut milk in the recipe, and do you find the coconut rice a bit much?  I always think of doing both, but chicken out and do the regular jasmine rice.

Theres no coconut milk in the rice, just coconut shavings. Rachel will post the recipe soon on recipes.egullet.com

great, will look forward to it...once this recipe thing gets up and going,it will be an invaluable resource.

BTW, Kris, if I send you a digital camera, will you post photos?? :shock:  :laugh:  :biggrin:  And snowangel, I want pix of Diana cooking..or better yet  perusing all the cokbooks, deciding on the meal!  :biggrin:

Donations of a digital camera are always welcome! :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Sunday Dinner was rather spectacular this weekend. I couple of friends who are in the trade came over for some food and wine

My friend Kurt was responsible for the salad

My friend Charlie was responsible for the Dessert and I did an amuse, app, and entree.

We made an attempt to pair wines but they all just ran together.

here's a breakdown

Wines

2001 Trimbach Pinot Gris

1999 J.J. Prum Resling Auslese Mosel-Saar-Ruwer

2000 Frei Brothers Russian River Pinot Noir

1998 Reichsrat von Buhl Trockenbeerenauslese Pfalz Forster

2000 Chateau Faugeres

2000 Chateau I can't remember

1995 Duckhorn Cabernet Sauvingnon

1998 Chateau Rocher Bellevue Figeac

Taylor Fladgate 20 yr Port

Grub

Seared Scallop with citrus chive crème fraiche, and beluga caviar over onion confetti

Purple Potato Gnocchi with Sugo Fitzsimmoni Pomodoro and Reggiano Curls and sun-dried tomato oil

Seared Beef Tenderloin Salad with Grilled scallions, Bleu Cheese and Dijon vinaigrette over winter greens and Parmesan crostini

Butter Poached Lobster with wilted baby spinach over sweet potato pave' acc by a Ginger Lemongrass Bueurre Blanc.

Braised Hunan Short Ribs with Roasted asparagus over Rosemary and Applewood smoked bacon white beans acc by a Shitake Demi-Glace

Chocolate Banana Truffle Torte with a cocoa ganache toppin

March 3rd is hinamatsuri (Girl's Day) in Japan, and having 2 girls I was recquired to make the traditional fare of chirashizushi.

Here is my version (for this year at least, last year I made it as a pressed rice cake with various layers):

made sushi rice, steamed the rice with konbu (kelp) and sake then mixed it with rice vinegar, sugar, and salt, to this I added renkon (lotus root) that had been simmered in dashi, vinegar and sugar as well as nanohana (broccoli rabe) which had been boiled then seasoned with dashi and soy. This was was spread onto a platter and then garnished with thin shreads of egg omelette, ikura (salmon roe), ama-ebi (sweet shrimp), and hotate (scallops).

I then made my daughters' favorite vegetable rolls

Into a 4 by 2 inch piece of thinly sliced pork I placed enoki muskrooms, julienned carrots and scallions and rolled it.

Sauteed them in a fry pan and then added a soy-mirin-sake-sugar sauce and reduced it until syrupy and the rolls were well coated. Sliced the rolls in half on the diagonal and garnished the dish with cherry tomatoes.

Dessert:

beautiful strawberries

March 3rd is hinamatsuri (Girl's Day) in Japan, and having 2 girls I was recquired to make the traditional fare of chirashizushi.

No wonder! I went to the Japanese market for lunch (I bought some more natto to eat) and wondered what all the fuss was about...

They had a lot of specialty items on sale and dainty cakes with little dolls on top...

Gordon, very nice.

Kristin, I love chirashi.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Roasted potatoes,red onions, endive in lemon infused olive oil

Sauteed spinach and garlic

Served with a few cheeses, Tickamore, midnight moon.

Handfuls of very fresh pistachio nuts and grapes.

I originally grilled some rib lamb chops, but they proved to be inedible,too much freezer burn, I gave them to my dog. My substitutionof cheese was a felicitious one.

Dinner tonight - Kitchen Sink Pad "Not quite" Kee Maow Noodles:

keemaow.jpg

keemaow2.jpg

Flat rice noodles stir-fried in Kee Maow Chili Paste, Soy and Ketchup, Galangal, Lime Leaves with Chicken and Tofu, Thai Basil, Cilantro, White Mushrooms, Shitakke, Scallion, Shallot, chopped thai green chile and chopped up leftover Dou Miu.

Overkill, but tasty. And Spicy.

Sunday Dinner was rather spectacular this weekend. I couple of friends who are in the trade came over for some food and wine

My friend Kurt was responsible for the salad

My friend Charlie was responsible for the Dessert and I did an amuse, app, and entree.

We made an attempt to pair wines but they all just ran together.

here's a breakdown

Wines

2001 Trimbach Pinot Gris

1999 J.J. Prum Resling Auslese Mosel-Saar-Ruwer

2000 Frei Brothers Russian River Pinot Noir

1998 Reichsrat von Buhl Trockenbeerenauslese Pfalz Forster

2000 Chateau Faugeres

2000 Chateau I can't remember

1995 Duckhorn Cabernet Sauvingnon

1998 Chateau Rocher Bellevue Figeac

Taylor Fladgate 20 yr Port

Grub

Seared Scallop with citrus chive crème fraiche, and beluga caviar over onion confetti

Purple Potato Gnocchi with Sugo Fitzsimmoni Pomodoro and Reggiano Curls and sun-dried tomato oil

Seared Beef Tenderloin Salad with Grilled scallions, Bleu Cheese and Dijon vinaigrette over winter greens and Parmesan crostini

Butter Poached Lobster with wilted baby spinach over sweet potato pave' acc by a Ginger Lemongrass Bueurre Blanc.

Braised Hunan Short Ribs with Roasted asparagus over  Rosemary and Applewood smoked bacon white beans acc by a Shitake Demi-Glace

Chocolate Banana Truffle Torte with a cocoa ganache toppin

Monday Night leftovers

Focaccia Stuffed with leftover beef tenderloin, blue cheese, fresh baby spinach, grilled scallions, leftover applewood smoked bacon and asparagus, some balsamic onion confit I had, and vinaigrette.

Took the left over sweet potato pave - made fries and dusted with salt and tumeric.

We drained all the remaining bottles of wine, started a Rosemount GSM and promptly fell asleep in front of the TV.

I love all the pix, Steve Martin, Jason, Awbrig, the occasional Tommy, everybody!

GordonCooks: Was the 1995 Duckhorn really really really good?

Last evening, asparagus soup to start, chicken thighs sauteed with sage and a little garlic, cream finishing the sauce, rice with a teeny bit of curry powder and a little onion and a handful of peas. Lovely redleaf salad with toasted walnuts, crumbled goat cheese, and walnut oil and mild red wine vinegar to dress. Pain Italien after Bernard Clayton's recipe.

(Forgot about dessert, which was another permutation of--you'll remember the first was pears with Parmigiano Reggiano--Margaret Pilgrim's fruit gratin: bananas/gorgonzola. So good! Really wildly good, beyond all expectation.)

Edited by Priscilla (log)

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Tuesday dinner:

mabodofu --tofu simmered in a chile based sauce with lots of ginger, garlic, and fermented black beans, topped with roasted and ground Sichuan peppercorns and lots of scallions

Japanese rice

salad of (griddle pan) grilled asparagus and cherry tomatoes (not grilled) in a soy-sesame oil-garlic-chile pepper dressing

napa cabbage and yuzu pickles (finally used them up!)

Dessert:

the last of the chocolate chip cookies.

I no longer like cookies! :shock::biggrin:

I love all the pix, Steve Martin, Jason, Awbrig, the occasional Tommy, everybody!

GordonCooks:  Was the 1995 Duckhorn really really really good?

Last evening, asparagus soup to start, chicken thighs sauteed with sage and a little garlic, cream finishing the sauce, rice with a teeny bit of curry powder and a little onion and a handful of peas.  Lovely redleaf salad with toasted walnuts, crumbled goat cheese, and walnut oil and mild red wine vinegar to dress.  Pain Italien after Bernard Clayton's recipe.

(Forgot about dessert, which was another permutation of--you'll remember the first was pears with Parmigiano Reggiano--Margaret Pilgrim's fruit gratin:  bananas/gorgonzola.  So good!  Really wildly good, beyond all expectation.)

Not especially memorable

It might be because the previous dish was a salad containing blue cheese and paired with a couple of 2000 Bordeaux with very firm tannins.

It was a good, but not great bottle. Nice balance but a little thin for my taste as far as fruit. I keep forgetting Duckhorn cabs are only like 85% Cabernet (+-) The St Emilions drank quite nicely though.

Nice, awbrig. I think I'd like the Maine Crab Cake over Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Haricot Verts to have a bit of a meuniere sauce. Or just a spritz of lemon juice and a bit of zest.

Dinner for 30:

Gohan (Japanese white rice) with gomasio (sesame salt) and nori sheets.

Three year old hatcho (dark) miso shiru with baby spinach and silken tofu.

Seared sea scallops on shiso leaves.

Braised huagu (flower mushrooms) slices with a spicy sesame glaze.

Sautéed young gai choy with ponzu (citrus/shoyu).

Eight kinds of tsukemono (pickles) from a care package sent from a friend in Kyoto.

Jin,

I normally would add a cumin remoulade with the cakes but did it the bland way tonight - the cakes and the potatoes were moist enough not to make an issue of things - also the beans were slightly roasted in basil olive oil - which were great!

Nice menu for all those people - wow! Altho i dont think ive had some of the items you served...

Edited by awbrig (log)

Jin,

could you elaborate on the huagu mushrooms?

dried or fresh?

what were they braised in?

What was in the glaze and how did you go about glazing them?

Edited by torakris (log)