• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

sauteed scallops [citrus butter sauce]

winter root vegetable mash (carrots, turnips, rutabaga, one potato, LOTS of butter and cream, salt, pepper and minced parsley for color)

sauteed escarole with garlic, red pepper and lemon

fruit. Poland Spring.

SA

Stop and Shop had vacu-packed duck breasts on sale, so I went for it.

Scored the breast fat, loaded it up with my own version of Emeril's dry rub, (which I make 4 cups of for Christmas, pack it into pretty shakers a la Martha Stewart, for my friends)..bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, then high heat broil to crisp the skin for another 10. Sliced some mushrooms, opened a can of chix broth, added a bunch of peeled sliced ginger, slow simmered the mushrooms until the broiler timer beeped...more interesting than the steak, that's for sure. Caymus Cab, 99

Edited by Kim WB (log)

Maine red shrimp, sauteed quickly with butter, parsley and chopped garlic, served, whole and eaten with the hands. Grits with lots of butter. Watercress, red onion and orange salad. Leftover saag from last' night's Indian take-out. Dessert: Total yogurt with Claude Heckscher's bananas: sliced bananas that are macerated for a few minutes in lemon juice and sugar. Yogurt and bananas both drizzled with the honey that comes with the yogurt. Riesling to drink. A Chet Baker 1955 Copenhagen concert playing in the background.

Edited by Sandra Levine (log)

Ate alone:

Jasmine rice with onion, garlic, fresh grated ginger, saffron, chicken stock, currydust, and cilantro.

Roasted side of salmon skin-on in oven proof skillet with a pinch of cayenne pepper and kosher salt.

Nasty Riojo my sister's friend brought over, only wine in the house.

Contemplating dessert. Need something. Wine unsatisfying. Must go out in car on quest. :angry:

Noise is music. All else is food.

On tuesday, I made chicken jamabalya, using fresh andouille sausage...finished it off in the oven, rearranging everything so that the rice cooked in the juices.

Last night, we had it again, but my boyfriend opened a can of TJ's black beans, added shallot, cumin, garlic, tomato paste, and chicken broth. It was really good with the jambalaya. I had a Sam Adams Light before dinner, and later, I had a glass of decent heady zin. Blackberry sorbet and Cream for dessert.

Edited by nerissa (log)

I was all set to pick up some Pret a Manger sandwiches, but the store was already closed by 6:00p.m. :sad::wink:

So after class, bought a piece of swordfish at Grand Central Market. Was that all right? I can't remember if we're still not supposed to eat swordfish. :unsure: Dinner started at 9:15p.m., ready at 9:35p.m. :biggrin:

Swordfish grilled in cast-iron pan, finished in the oven

Sauced with ponzu + orange oil (a little O Orange and a little Boyajian)

Basmati rice (leftover, reheated :shock: )

Almost-but-not-quite-totally-unlike-oshi-tashi: spinach cooked with ginger, garlic, soy sauce, and sesame seeds and oil. (no fish flakes)

The usual salad suspects with balsamic vinaigrette

Paumanok 2000 Barrel Fermented Chardonnay

Citris and Herb rubbed roast chicken with root vegetables

I made a sauce for it by reducing some chicken stock with rosemary and a couple pats of butter.

We drank a Cantillion Gueuze Lambic Ale with it, awesome.

Leftovers are sitting in the office fridge calling my name...but I must be strong until lunchtime.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

I thought I'd mention a little thing I did with leftover strips of (black and blue rare) bulgogi steak.

I chopped it up roughly, mixed with chopped double-smoked cooked bacon. Packed one side of kaiser rolls, put provolone on the other, heated until cheese melted, pressed together. I made a soup out of leftover kimchee.

Quite okay.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Thursday dinner:

chawan mushi (Japanese savory egg custard) with wakame (type of seaweed) and chicken meatballs infused with yuzu (Japanese citron)

daikon and yuzu salt pickles

eggplant roasted with sesame oil then tossed with a kojuchang (Korean chile based miso) sauce and garnished with shallots

yuba with special sauce

--yuba is something like tofu skin, forget the exact translation

--this was a purchased product and the sauce packet just said "special sauce" :huh:

dessert:

bittersweet chocolate cookies with hazelnuts (forget the exact name) from the Babbo book

made by me and 3 2-year old helpers :shock: I'm sure they are not nearly as pretty as the ones Mario makes!

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

im waiting for the day when Torakris has a slice of Sbarro pizza or a sloppy joe or something :smile:

Sorry, no Sbarro's in Japan! :laugh:

I made sloppy joes once about 6 or 7 years ago and my husband didn't care for them and haven't made them since.

This weekend (if I can bring myself to do it) I might make corned beef hash, with the canned stuff! :shock:

For me, I would like Jin's dinner to consist one day of cream of what ever soup casserole and a bagged lettuce salad with purchased no-fat Italian dressing! :biggrin:

I think not. Sniff.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

For friends & sister:

4 beauteous yellowfin tuna steaks (if it had been up to my sister and I, we'd probably just have eaten them bad boys raw), peppered a bit, pan seared.

Sauce of sliced shiitakes, ginger, garlic, scallions, cream, butter, a spash of soy, lime juice, a bit of cilantro.

Served over linguine (sp?) and with a few slices of baguette to sop up that sauce, which I could drink like soup. :wub:

A take-off on a BA recipe from a few years ago. Also, we drank the only bottle of "real" champagne that I've had yet in my young, class-of-97 life: Moet & Chandon.

I thought I'd mention a little thing I did with leftover strips of (black and blue rare) bulgogi steak.

Jinmyo, delicious. I have to tell you: I marvel over your postings to this thread. If I could eat half as well, I'd die and go to heaven.

Thank you, NeroW.

What is a "BA recipe"?

NeroW,

I made that recipe a couple months back, it was on the Epicurious site's top 30 (is it 30?) for a looong time.

I initially balked at it, cream sauce with a seared tune? it really seemed like a mismatch, but it was really good!

Awbrig, this ones just for you! :biggrin:

Friday dinner:

aromatic duck curry from David Thompson's Thai Food ---absolutely delicious!

stirfried spinach topped with deep fried shallots

napa cabbage salt pickles sprinkled with nampla and lime

Thai rice

dessert:

leftover chocolate hazelnut cookies

NeroW,

I made that recipe a couple months back, it was on the Epicurious site's top 30 (is it 30?) for a looong time.

I initially balked at it, cream sauce with a seared tune? it really seemed like a mismatch, but it was really good!

I think it is Top 30 . . . I thought it sounded weird at first too and it takes some tweaking, but oh! that sauce.

Marcella's escarole and rice soup, a generous grating of reggiano on top, served with Florence meat market's chicken sausages, sauteed with cremini mushrooms, garlic cloves. Pierre Chermette Beaujolis 200l., Scharfenberger chocolate, buttermilk cake, with choc sour cream frosting.

Saturday night:

Made a huge pot of oden

--Japanese hot pot of various fish paste cakes, hard boiled eggs, daikon, konnyaku, etc

napa cabbage pickles witha sweet-sour flavor

celery pickles with a karashi (Japanese mustad) sauce

dessert:

double chocolate cookies from Christopher Kimball's Dessert Bible

I might be making these everyday!

Just finished Sunday dinner:

sirloin steak cut into large cubes, rubbed with grated onion, salt and lots of coarsely ground pepper, sauteed until medium rare then sake, soy sauce, and butter are added to the pan to create a nice sauce. Meat is placed on the platter covered with watercress and shiso and the sauce is poured over everything, very, very nice! :biggrin:

lentil tomato soup served with lots of lime and a tomato-cilantro salsa

potato salad with celery and greeen olives

dessert (to be eaten after we get teh kids out of the bath):

chocolate chip oatmeal cookies

I don't know what is wrong with me, I am on some sort of cookie crusade this week!