• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

Just finished Thursday night dinner (yeah I know most of you haven't even started Thursday yet!)

Came in again about 6:30, this time not expecting to be so late so had nothing prepared, threw together:

linguine with Italian sausages, zucchini and onions

salad with bibb lettuce, arugula, baby leaf mix, with red onions, red peppers ad balsamic vinagrette

dessert soon to be eaten:

chocolate coconut cookies

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Last night, I finally went to my shelf, took down David Thompson's big pink book, and made a red curry paste. I then made a duck red curry with lychees, which I ate with a bit of plain rice.

It was great. All hail the big pink book. :smile:

Quickie, working-2-jobs-cooking for my sister, my mommy, and my S.O.:

Roasted huge pile of red bell pepper, crookneck squash, butternut squash, tomato, onion, zucchini. Smooshed it around with penne pasta, EVOO, my best balsamico and my best Parmigiano, and minced garlic and fresh basil to finish. Rustic and inexpensive, but yummy winter food. Gross store-bought breadsticks from supermarket. Current apartment plonk wine. Couple globs of tapioca puddin for dessert.

Tonight making 2 Hummingbird Cakes (Saveur): one for boss, one for S.O. Expect to have frosting for dinner. :raz:

Noise is music. All else is food.

I resent and protest that the David Thompson book does not have the much-vaunted pink cover in its U.S. edition. This crime continues to keep me from owning it.

FoodMan, bet that clam/mahi mahi broth tasted good.

Last night, TV Dinner. Croque Monsieurs, goodly smear of mustard under there, sensible application of the aforementioned pain Italien getting to just the right stage for optimum toastage. French green olives, French black olives, cornichons. Ravenswood 2000 VB Zinfandel. Jaaaymaaay making a super-squishy tiramisu, for those who like that sort of thing.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

I made a stir fry of firm tofu (marinated in soy with scallions and a malaysian chili/fried garlic paste) , cubed asian eggplant and sliced shrimp with basil and cilantro and a bit of oyster sauce added. Served over jasmine rice cooked in chicken broth, with garlic/chili sauteed dou miu (snow pea leaves) on the side. Spicy, but good.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Didn't Diana Vreeland pronounce, "Pink is the navy blue of India"?

Back on topic:

Fried Chicken (oh, goody, lots of leftovers in the fridge :wub: )

Baked potatoes

Gravy of leftover roast chix jus plus the fond left in the frying pan*

Blanched broccoli rabe with garlic sauce

Endive and radicchio salad with vinaigrette

Dr. K. Frank Rielsing

* gotta keep seasoning that cast-iron, ya know. :laugh:

I'm beginning to get an inferiority complex. Last night I made halibut in wone rice sauce with cloud ears and Chinese shiitake. With it we had a stir-fry of asparagus and broccoli. Persimmons for dessert.

By the way, David Thompson did a dinner at the James Beard House last week. The flavors were strange and not really Thai. WE had expected so much and it was quite diappointing. I did not buy his book and am stilcking with my tried and true Nancie McDermott ("Real Thai)

Ruth Friedman

I'm beginning to get an inferiority complex.

great reading, compared to mine (tonight):

broiled skinless chicken breasts, roasted onions and tomatoes -- dusted the chicken breasts with a mix of turmeric and paprika, and a couple of T. of OO. scattered coarsely chopped onions and tomatoes on top, and popped in the oven at 375 F for half an hour.

steamed broccoli. (lemon juice, salt and pepper)

orange juice.

Poland Spring.

------------

last night (Thursday) --

broiled steak

couscous (chicken stock)

steamed broccoli and cauliflower (OO, garam masala)

Poland Spring.

SA

Last night:

Butterflied leg of lamb in which I marinated it with a homemade olive tapendade.

Baby red potatoes roasted with lemon and saffron

Brocolli rabe sauteed with garlic, chile pepper, and chik stock.

S.O handled the "broccoli rabbi" while I sipped Ch. Duhart-Milion--de Rothschild (Lafitte). A 1999. Those last sips, man. :wub:

After dinner, I made a chocolate soufflee. It came out beautifully. Drank Italian Prosecco.

Risotto Milanese (saffron) with brunoise of roasted carrots tossed in.

Chops cut from roasted frenched bone-in pork loin. Shoyu/orange/chipotle/cumin rub. Set atop risotto servings. Drizzle of porcini oil.

Ragout of wild mushrooms (morels, lobster, huagu, porcini, cremini) with shallots and a touch of sesame chile oil.

Maki of rolled blanched red Swiss chard leaves filled with ricotta and double-smoked lardons, melted lemon sauce (aka lemon "confit" or "jam" or whatever) dipping sauce.

Potage of fennel.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Tonight making 2 Hummingbird Cakes (Saveur): one for boss, one for S.O.  Expect to have frosting for dinner.  :raz:

Hey, how'd it come out? I made one of those yesterday for my sister. I kept one of the three layers for myself though. Hummingbird cakes are good. :smile:

I seemed to have caught some bug that my oldest one had so last night :

The kids had fried rice with eggs, green peas, and corn

I had a bowl of cereal

went to bed as soon as my husband walked in the door and let him fend for himself (he is quite good at that!)

After 12 hours of sleep am feeling much better

Valentines Day @ Home 2003

fca2c1f2.jpg

fca2c1f5.jpg

Maine Lobster Pot Pie with Caramelized Root Vegetables & Thyme

fca2c1f3.jpg

Grilled Filet Mignon with Braised Red Cabbage, French Lentils & Foie Gras Vinaigrette

fca2c1f8.jpg

Chocolate Cupcakes with Chili-Truffle Center & Cocoa Frosting

Chocolate Cupcakes with Chili-Truffle Center & Cocoa Frosting

awbrig, will you elaborate? Specifically: chili-truffle? I'd like to stuff one of those cupcakes into my mouth right about . . . now.

Pre-party V-Day: champane risotto with sea scallops (B.A. recipe), salad with toasty walnuts, pears, endive (I think endive, my sister made it and due to conspicuous champagne consumption I can't quite remember what greens she used). The S.O. actually made the salad dressing, which amazed us, as he is very shy in our kitchen. I was beaming with pride.

Hey, how'd it come out? I made one of those yesterday for my sister. I kept one of the three layers for myself though. Hummingbird cakes are good. 

gknl: I can't comment as I didn't end up making the cakes, much to the disappointment of the boss and the S.O. Working so many jobs doesn't leave me with much left at the end of the evening for baking, also I realized I don't have 3 9-inch cake pans. :sad:

Saturday night ate at Emil's, an Italian place in East Lansing, MI. Cute spot, opened in 1912 or so, and we had high hopes. Disappointed. We sent the first wine back (it tasted seriously bad, like a Michigan basement), were served Campbell's soup (not joking, I've eaten enough of it to know, :blink: ) and my pasta shells were stuffed with that imitiation Krabmeat and covered with dark-yellow (??) alfredo sauce. Also, there was a burned spot on the top of one of the shells. V. disappointing. I envied the guy at my table who'd ordered a burger.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Went to a friends house after work. She and my wife had decided that I was cooking.

Made a bastardised Persian chicken thing:

Chicken quatered and browned in butter and oil. Covered chicken with stock added one can of chopped tomato. Made a curry powder of Black mustard seeds, coriander seeds, cardamon, nutmeg, cinnamon. Added this and a cup of yellow split peas. After half an hour I added chopped carrot, sweet potato and cooked chickepeas. In the last ten minutes I added the juice of two lemons and then tossed in the lemon skins. Added coriander juice before serving with cous cous.

I'm not sure what thread this should go in, I post the menu from last nights's feast at my College (Emmanuel).

The feast was in honour of the Revd Professor Peter Gomes. DD, a much loved figure in both Cambridges, here and Harvard.

Dinner, served in Hall

Layered Terrine of quail, pheasant and rabbit, with a quince jelly

Grilled green lipped mussels witha herb crust

Fillet of beef stuffed with a chicken and watercress mousse, served with a ravioli of shin of beef, seasonal vegetables, parisienne potatoes, beef jus

Warm fig Lanzertorte

with wild honey ice cream and armagnac syrup

Desert (served in the Long Gallery)

Cheeses

Fruit

Coffee Petit four

Wines:

Champagne (Perrier Joutet)

Chablis Grand Cru Les Preuses

Beaune Marconnets 1993

Tokaji Aszu 5 Puttonyos 1988

Desert Wines:

Quinta de Noval 1978

Chateau Langoa Barton 1992

Coteaux du Layon Varennes 1997

Last night despite the rain my husband decided to do some dutch oven cooking outside.

In the dutch oven:

beef chunks

new potatoes

carrots

cabbage wedges

eryngii mushrooms

lots of salt and pepper

I meant to serve this with a horseradish sauce, but when dinner time rolled around I discovered we were out of horseradish! :sad:

garlic toast

simple salad

choclates leftover from valentines day for dessert (including the choclate-chestnut truffles I made)

Edited by torakris (log)

I made a Coconut Thai Curry served over Jasmine Rice.

It was a medley of flavors including green onions, coconut milk, soy sauce, curry, fresh ginger, chile paste, roma tomatoes (and a touch of brown sugar to counter acidity), tri colored bell peppers, exotic mushrooms, fresh basil and bok choy. I added Tofu to accomodate a vegetarian friend. It was delicious.

I wish I had a camera. The beautiful array of colors made presentation easy.

Edited by seawakim (log)

"If we don't find anything pleasant at least we shall find something new." Voltaire

Wow - seawakim, you and I were on a wavelength tonight. I used up the rest of the red curry paste I made earlier in the week, and ended up throwing together a fairly simple chicken & veg boiled red curry. Finished with a little fish sauce, palm sugar, fresh sliced chillies and holy basil and ate it with plain rice.

Corn Cakes from the Foxfire Book of Appalachian Cookery: 2 cups cornmeal, 1 heaped tbs flour, 1tsp salt, 2 tsp baking powder, 1tbs melted butter, 2 eggs, enough buttermilk to make a batter.

I halved the quantities, using a standard size carton of buttermilk (10fl oz?). Cooked on griddle, served with butter & maple syrup. Yum. Much more salt than I would normally use - but I stuck to what it said and found the result worth it. Something about the saltiness against the butter and maple syrup...

v

Valentine's Dinner 2003

Pan seared dry scallops with red and yellow grape tomatoes, halved with garlic, butter and fresh tarragon.

Grilled seafood sausage- cod, shrimp, scallops, salmon, shallots, parsley, tarragon and basil

Camembert, gruyere, and gorgonzola.

Amy's baguette, and semolina with fennel and white raisins.

Red grapes

Comfort food for a snowed-in day today.

Brunch: challah french toast, jam, maple syrup, sliced apples, bananas

Snack: chocolate chunk cookies, using a bunch of odds and ends of chocolate I had hanging around.

Dinner: Three pizzas, one plain cheese, one spinach, one mushroom-red onion. Plenty of salad.

Then I enjoyed a Citron sour while we played mah jongg. Wow, I didn't realize how much I could enjoy being snowed in.

Monday dinner:

roasted cornish hens with an orange-spice (cumin coriander) glaze from Fine Cooking 1/2002

spicy couscous (with cumin, coriander, fennel, bay, chile) from Jamie Oliver's 1st book

tomato, broccoli and red onion aslad with orange vinagrette

dessert

last of the valentine chocolates