• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

background:

Sunday's dinner all started when my father-in-law called me up early last week and said that some guys from his company are going shrimping in the gulf of Mexico (of the shore of Galveston, TX) and that he wanted to buy about 20 lbs of shrimp from them when they get back. 10lbs of the shrimp will be mine if I agree to cook it for the inlaws (he wanted gumbo) at my place . Of course I agreed and we set a date for them to come over for dinner over the weekend.

I picked the shrimp up on Friday from the inlaws place and kept them on ice in the fridge till Sunday. These were very good sized fresh shrimp probably about 15 per pound.

the menu:

- Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo. Traditional Louisiana gumbo made with shrimp stock from the shells of the cleaned shrimp, and smoked sausage. I picked the smaller specimens for the Gumbo and dropped them in the hot pot 15 minutes before serving. It was served with rice and homemade french bread to mop up any juices.

-Stuffed shrimp. For the larger ones I used a recipe from Food 911 for stuffed shrimp. The stuffing was made from cornbread crumbs, home-smoked tasso ham, parsley, onions and shrimp broth. The shrimp were drizzled with melted butter right before baking them. they were served with a roatsed tomato/saffron aioli.

-Roasted Asparagus. This was a simple accompaniment to the stuffed shrimp. Roasted with EVOO, garlic, S&P.

-Chocolate Mousse cream puffs. My wife loved those so much earlier in the week that she asked me to make another batch for her and her mom.

-Mango Kulfi: Based on Suvir's recipe I made a delicious Kulfi with Cardamom, nuts, and fresh pureed Mangoe. A perfect finish to a fantastic meal.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I gave Patrick O'Connel's BBQ'd Rack of Lamb with Toasted pecans a go. Served it on top of the Shoestring Sweet potato's and plated with sauteed haricot verts. Made a nice red wine reduction sauce to finish with. For desert did Mexican chocolate ice ceam with the orange shortbread( ala the new edition of Gourmet), it was a big hit. Everything turned out fantastic. These are definently keepers for the recipe file.

Monday night, what I made:

gazpacho (yes, I know it's January, but I was craving it!)

shredded pork wraps with lemon coleslaw ( from Epicurious, I liked the coleslaw, but the pork was on the bland side)

What the kids ate:

Daughter #1

tortilla with shredded pork

Daughter #2

tortilla with coleslaw

Son

croutons from the gazpacho

sigh :wacko:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Pizza must be in the air. I'm making it tonight, got the dough going yesterday. With cremini mushrooms, fresh spinach, red onion and anchovies. Mmmmmmm. Tossed salad and Beacon Hill cookies, take 1.

Last night: Soft polenta, garlicky Swiss chard, and some mock chicken-type stuff. I still eat fake meat somewhat regularly.

Linguine with lobster, garlic, lemon, and parsley. (DeCecco linguine; lobster bought cooked that I took out of the shell -- every last morsel :wink: ; garlic lightly browned in oil from roasted garlic and oil from Mosca's "bbq'd" shrimp; fresh lemon juice + 1/4 of a preserved lemon; flat leaf parsley, chopped).

Three-color salad (romain, endive, radicchio) with olive oil, white wine and white balsamic vinegars.

Roederer Estate Sparkling Wine

Wonton soup (scallop and chive wontons in a seafood broth) with slivered scallions.

Chive pancakes.

Shrimp and pork shu mai.

Silken tofu with ong choy (Chinese water "spinach") with red fermented tofu.

Stinky cabbage pickles, daikon kimchee, cabbage kimchee, pickled mango.

Chinese rice with toasted nori sheets.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Monday West Coast Pork Day? Nah, every day is (potentially) West Coast Pork Day!

(Jim do you use loin for that braise?)

Pork loin on the rotisserie (having been brined a little while)

Sweet potato souffle, so-called -- individual-sized

Creamed spinach

Homemade rolls

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Yesterday's planned menu got thrown off because of various unexpected happenings so we ended up with a hodge podge of foods

leftover gazpacho

leftover lemon coleslaw

sauteed turnips and spinach with chiles, garlic and sherry vinegar

beef and onions in an oyster sauce

Japanese rice

Sunday: Dinner at a seafood ramen house in the East Village with a date. Easy, cheap, filling and well worth it -- given that it must have been something like 15 degrees outside. Can't remember the name of the place, but we also had really nice gyoza with a vinegary shoyu dipping sauce. Oolong tea.

Last night: Onion confit over penne, sprinkle of fried herbed bread crumbs. Salad of wilted endive and frisee, caramelized apple slices, and chopped honey toasted walnuts (dressing of walnut oil, apple cider vinegar, and dijon mustard (on a 2:1:1 ratio)). Evian.

SA

Tonight I sauteed calf's liver w/ onions.  Used a REALLY hot pan and just cooked it briefly so it was still pink inside.  Delicious.  But it made me wonder why I don't know anyone who actually likes liver besides me.  Why is that?

I love liver (was never served it as a child so don't know if I would have hated it then).

I eat sauteed, grilled, deep fried and my all time favorite, raw! :shock:

I love liver. Calf's liver, beef liver, chicken liver, pork liver, rabbit liver. Whatever. Seared, rare.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

The other night I tried a Ken Hom recipe, and while it was great, I think it could be greater. Let me explain,

The recipe called for Salmon filet and black truffles (you make an incision across the salmon and stuff it with the truffles, the one goes on top so you can see the truffle through the rice paper wrapper) with some chives to be wrapped in rice paper (galette de riz) and then pan fried (kind of like a big dumpling) in vegetable oil. After 3 minutes on each side you plate and brush with truffle oil.

It is a really lovely, light dish... but I thought the salmon itself lacked flavor. Which made me wonder, what other tastes would marry well with Black Truffle? I'd like to marinade the salmon beforehand to give it a little more punch but keep it light.

Do you think I could marinade in orange juice, salt, and lemongrass and not have clashing flavors? Or is there a better standard pairing with Black Truffles?

Akiko

Akiko, I think that would work.

Fish and Chips:

Crab cakes (frozen crab meat, edamame, red bell pepper, guajillo chile bits).

Lime and wasabi fresh mayonaisse.

Large grilled scallops wrapped in red leaf lettuce with a bit of horseradish.

Scottish haddock in panko, deep-fried.

Lemon and tomato "relish".

Chickpea (gram flour) frites, thick cut potato frites.

Plain fresh mayonaisse.

Tenderloin steaks again, received them as a gift/bribe from the S.O., cooked them in butter as I can't afford olive oil at this juncture :angry:, homemade French bread, cheap-ass screw-top rot-gut wine (a choice btw that or the cheap-ass screw-top olive oil at the supermarket), baked potatoes, and dessert was Clementine oranges, a perfect pear, and for some reason, an avocado. And a nip of Jack Daniels. Today, I wish I had stuck with just the pear, and maybe the Jack.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Mustard crusted King Salmon with beet vinaigrette.

used mustard seeds and coarse salt to form a crust on the skin side of the salmon fillets. Then seared them in olive oil on both sides till the sides are crispy and the center is moist.

Served them topped with beet vinaigrette (roasted pureed fresh beets, EVOO, Sherry vinegar, S&P).

For myself I plated the fillet on top of beet greens (shame to waste any part of the fresh beets) lightly sauteed with scallions and garlic in EVOO. A drizzle of balsamic at the end.

As for my wife she wanted hers with my sweet roasted root vegetables; carrots, sweet potato, parsnips, and a quartered red onion. All mixed together with fresh thyme, honey, olive oil, a little pure maple syrup, and roasted in one layer on a sheet pan until browned and the sugars are caramalized.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog