• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

rarerollingobject

Dinner! 2012

Mjx - thanks so much for the chicken information. I'll be trying that since one of our favorite food is simply roasted chicken.

I have some sad news. Some of you will remember my stepdad, Ted Fairhead, who used to post here. He passed away yesterday morning. He hadn't been well for some time, but his death was very sudden and shocking to us all. We have lots of friends and family in and out of both of our houses right now. I'm staying with my mom for a few nights, so I'm not sure when I'll be back. I'm still going to be going down to NC to see after my grandmother, so my time isn't my own right now. I'll be checking in as often as I can, though.

mm84321 those mushrooms and foie gras look fantastic.

my partner just harvested another 30 lbs of hen of the woods. (I know, it doesn't sound possible.)

Oh Kim, I am so sorry. Wish I could bring some comforting food to you and your family.

Sorry, Kim.

Don't neglect to take care yourself, so you can take care others.

dcarch

dry aged pork, xo pearl barley risotto, tomato confit, kale chips, broccoli crusted quail egg

Genius! How do you make a broccoli crusted quail egg?

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

Quail yolk prepared however you like it most. Raw, poached or cooked sous vide the yolk is gently enrobed in broccoli tips. Raw eggs are more apt to break while being enrobed. The real trick is cutting the tips so that there is virtually no stalk attached, just the green flower part. Gently roll the yolk in the broccoli and the two will stick together.

Andrew Vaserfirer aka avaserfi

Host, eG Forums

avaserfirer@egstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory

First freeze of the year forecast tonight, so we cleaned out the garden. Some of the harvest made it on the plate tonight.

Red curry scallops with eggplant: Bay scallops, Japanese eggplant, slivered chiles, Thai basil, lime leaves, and fish sauce. Homemade curry paste with dried and fresh red chiles, lemongrass, galangal, lime peel, shallot, garlic, and shrimp paste.

The curry was killer spicy, so I tamed the heat with coconut milk and brown sugar.

Pad pak: Stir-fried baby bok choy, Napa cabbage, and gai lan, seasoned with smashed garlic, black pepper, fish sauce and fermented soybean paste.

Coconut rice

p1190049920-4.jpg

Rack of venison (52.5C, 1 hour) w/ bitter chocolate/sherry vin ganache and blueberry sauce. Roasted vegetables, too. The ganache refuses to quenelle nicely so it ended up looking a bit ... suspicious.

DSC_0001-3.jpg

DSC_0006-2.jpg

Edited by ChrisTaylor (log)

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Genius! How do you make a broccoli crusted quail egg?

Haha first thing I thought.

Always look forward to your creations man!

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

Nice curry Bruce :smile:

We usually get a paleta de Pata Negra for Christmas but this year we will be travelling, so my husband took advantage of a sale at our usual on-line supplier and ordered a jamon de bellota.

We are going to be busy eating it before it goes bad :biggrin:

jamon.jpg

We also had some roasted sea bass with potatoes and spicy cardoons in anchovy sauce. Sorry, presentation a little sloppy but was taste was pretty decent.

fishandcardoons.jpg

Edited by Franci (log)

OMG Franci that must be a $1000 ham. I am SO jealous.

No, no Patrick. That's my husband rationale: better to eat it now here, where it's affordable, if we go back to the US it's way too expensive. It's not a 5 Jotas and in fact doesn't taste as good as the paleta we had last time, it's a little more acidic but it's still very good.

Short Ribs.jpg

Momofuku 48 hour braised short ribs with dashi braised daikon, pickled mustard seeds and braised cabbage.

Ravioli inspired by a dish at Osteria in Philadelphia. No way to find rochetta in our area so I used a combination of French Chevre, Dutch Gouda and New Zealand Windsor Blue at a ratio of maybe 65:20:15. I know it's a bastardized combo but it worked. Topped with shiitake and crimini mushrooms.

DSC_0070.JPG

We also had fresh grilled swordfish that I pulled from the grill a little to early so I finished it on the stove. I love swordfish and I am really amazed how the price of fish has changed over the years. At my local fish market today the price for fillets of sword were $6.99/#, wahoo $8.99/#, amberjack $11.99/# and grouper & tuna at $12.99/#. What used to trash fish (trigger, amberjack) now sell at prices above at what was once considered premium.

DSC_0071.JPG

To be fair, the technique isn't one I thought up. I saw it at Blackbird when I spent a couple weeks staging there.

Imitation is the highest form of flattery! And looks like you did their version justice!

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog