• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

mm84321, I have always loved your posts in this thread ... but your pics showing the process makes me love them even more. Skinning little potatoes by rubbing them with salt, and then frying them ... it would never have occurred to me to do that! I imagine that the rough surface and the salt would make them crisp up really nicely?

Thanks, Keith. Skinning the potatoes helps them color, and they do crisp up rather nicely. And I kind of like their taste better without the skin.

Stunning dishes mm84321!

Just curious about your mushrooms, I received a package of Chanterelle mushrooms, they look very different than yours.

dcarch

Thanks. They are chanterelles from Saskatchewan. These tend to be on the smaller side, and the ones I used in this dish were button shaped.

I've been crazy busy and thus not eating terribly well (there's no way I was going to show you cold pizza and yuca chips with a side of hot sauce, or any of the other atrocious things I eat when I'm otherwise preoccupied!). However, the last couple of days have produced dinners worthy of this thread Major volcanic eruption has a way of slowing down my business. In that vein, I'd like you to know that if I disappear for a week or so, it's because the eruption has affected the hydro dam at the foot of the volcano, and I'm without electricity. Don't worry about me - I'm far enough from the volcano not to be affected by lava, lahar, or pyroclastic debris.

Everybody else is showing such amazing things (I'm looking at you, C. sapidus, mm84321, Norm, and Patrick) that I'm feeling kind of plebian and down home, but hot-damn if it wasn't tasty.

Panfried tilapia in ritz-crumb and parmesan breading, 4-cheese mac'n'cheese, steamed veg, obligatory asparagus.

FishDinner.jpg

And, lending credence to the idea that sometimes the things that look the worst taste the best: roast chicken reheats in fresh sage gravy over sourdough/7-grain stuffing and mashed potatoes, side of carrots and peas. This photo actually makes it look better than it did in life, which is unusual.

ChickenRepeatDinner.jpg

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

This is Scottish blue lobster. They are poached for 2.5 minutes in a court bouillon, then shocked in ice.

Kq2SYl.jpg

BmLr1l.jpg

The tails are studded with lemon verbena leaves.

PF09Ul.jpg

Wow you can get these over your side of the pond? What do you think of them? We get lots of Canadian lobsters here in the UK but i much prefer our native variety, the flesh is denser and sweeter. But maybe the North American lobsters are better over there and it's the journey over that deteriorates the quality.

Some back to basics Asian dinners for me recently. I prepared a couple dozen chicken thighs for a bbq competition and saved the oysters. With them I made the best version of this dish ever: Dried Fried Chicken Oysters with Chillies:

20120814c.JPG

Hotate Gohan, Shime Saba and Nasu Dengaku. Or Scallop Rice, Mackerel Sashimi and Miso Aubergine:

20120808b.JPG

Pork with Kimchi and more miso aubergines:

20120813b.JPG

Corn Soup 002.JPG Corn soup made with corn from the garden and milk from a local cow. It rained today - an unusual event this Summer.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Thanks guys. I don't get much natural light in my kitchen, not even in a British summer! So that bounced flash off my kitchen ceiling has been a kind of a trademark for me on this thread. Plus it quick and easy.

Seriously though I urge you all to try that sichuan dish with chicken oysters, it just the perfect variation.

Wow you can get these over your side of the pond? What do you think of them? We get lots of Canadian lobsters here in the UK but i much prefer our native variety, the flesh is denser and sweeter. But maybe the North American lobsters are better over there and it's the journey over that deteriorates the quality.

I thought they were fantastic.

Seriously though I urge you all to try that sichuan dish with chicken oysters, it just the perfect variation.

I will. But what are chicken oysters? Are they chicken parts or a type of oyster?

mm84321 that iberico bruschetta looks fantastic.

The part of the chicken, especially juicy but with kind of a weird texture I personally don't rate highly, that's sort of kind of near the top of the leg, right near the backbone. Easy to miss if you're speed-deconstructing chickens.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Amazing..I would kill for a dish of chicken oysters! There's a chicken oysters kilpatrick joke to be made in there somewhere..

Uncharacteristically healthy dinner for me; fritters of beetroot, lamb and freekeh (smoked cracked green wheat), based on this Nigel Slater recipe, and kale with caramelised onions. And a little dipping sauce for the fritters of Greek yoghurt with grated cucumber, chilli, garlic and lemon.

IMG_4520.jpg

Nickrey – love the meat pie – one of my very favorite foods!

mm – beautiful lobster dish!

Jmahl – what gorgeous corn soup! We had some in Florida recently and I’m dying to try it myself.

A couple of recent dinners - breakfast for dinner: Deep fried bacon and the last of the ham from our Pittsburgh trip:

med_gallery_3331_114_124591.jpg

Some cathead biscuits:

med_gallery_3331_114_155688.jpg

These were good, though not terribly ‘biscuity’. They were from a CI recipe and were amazingly easy and fast. I liked them a lot and will make them again, but they were really TOO tender – they wouldn’t have held up to a sausage patty or ham.

Plated with eggs and potatoes:

med_gallery_3331_114_173649.jpg

Another meal was Dianne’s garlic shrimp:

med_gallery_3331_114_126262.jpg

With tomatoes, corn and green beans:

med_gallery_3331_114_1522.jpg

We had friends and family over for dessert Saturday night to celebrate Mr. Kim’s birthday, so our quick-before-they-get-here meal was chili-cheese dogs, baked beans and grilled corn:

med_gallery_3331_114_160016.jpg

No one needs to know what kind of ‘cheese’ that is on the dog :biggrin: .

Last night - Grilled ham slice, tomatoes, butter beans and biscuits (leftover from breakfast out):

med_gallery_3331_114_14112.jpg