• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

Tonight was pan-seared rainbow trout with a garlic/butter/white wine/lemon/chervil/thyme/chive sauce. Brown rice and roasted broccoli and cauliflower on the side.

Dessert will be later - Homemade 2-layer butter cake with raspberry mousse inside and coated with a dark chocolate ganache.

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

I have to say, that chicken soup is a triumph - the meat looks so moist and tender! Kudos ScottyBoy. When it comes to mealtimes, I follow my great uncle Carmelo who was famous (at least in our family) for checking in with his stomach every day and asking it 'Stomach! What you wanna eat??'. (You have to read it with an Italian accent or it doesn't sound right). Last night I asked the same question, and it came back 'Lindt 70% and glacé ginger'. So that was dinner. The day before it was Bobotie, which is a traditional Cape Malay dish (Cape Malay food mixes sweet, sour and curry flavors) with chutney, and the day before that I defrosted some ragù which I make large quantities of in a marathon chopping and cooking session, to the precise instructions of ancestors who may be watching, and would certainly have a conniption if I did it wrong, and then freeze (this may provoke said ancestors a little). Had it with pasta, along with a glass of decent chianti.

When it comes to mealtimes, I follow my great uncle Carmelo who was famous (at least in our family) for checking in with his stomach every day and asking it 'Stomach! What you wanna eat??'. (You have to read it with an Italian accent or it doesn't sound right).

"Stomaco! Cosa vuoi da mangiare?"

Hmm, i'm not getting it :)

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

When it comes to mealtimes, I follow my great uncle Carmelo who was famous (at least in our family) for checking in with his stomach every day and asking it 'Stomach! What you wanna eat??'. (You have to read it with an Italian accent or it doesn't sound right).

"Stomaco! Cosa vuoi da mangiare?"

Hmm, i'm not getting it :)

No I think it's almost there, My Italian is not great. I'd add in 'che' - che cosa vuoi mangiare...with the right accent, 'Stomach' will understand you :)

Everything looks so good — that seafood! That soup!

I made a riff on an Ottolenghi recipe — salad with beets, rhubarb and blue cheese. Great combination. I was going to have it as a first course, but ended up pairing it with a crusty baguette and making it dinner.

salad closer.jpg

avaserfi - great looking dish as always but I am curious about the plate you were using for the dish. Do you have a photo of the plate and where did you buy it ? It might look like one I am trying to find for some time

I picked up the dish at an Asian restaurant supply in San Francisco. I cant remember the name. When I have a little more time, ill try to look it up and find a better picture for you.

Andrew Vaserfirer aka avaserfi

Host, eG Forums

avaserfirer@egstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory

C. sapidus – that’s the way I like my seared tuna steaks done. Beautiful!

rarerollingobject – We can’t get samphire here in NYC. I guess I will have to go to your house to try some. :-)

Kim – Very impressed by variety of dishes that you can come up with. Nice perffectly done prime rib.

Scottyboy – you have shown there is art in chicken soup making.

Avaserfi – Very elegant Geoduck risotto

FrogPrincesse – lovely roasted chicken.

deensiebat – I will have to try your salad with beets, rhubarb and blue cheese. Sounds like a nice recipe.

SobaAddict – You are a master in using nature’s greens.

Kayb – Very respectable sous vide ribs and chicken tenders.

EnriqueB – You got some fancy seafood dishes there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing fancy; Come on, it’s only Mother’s Day. :-)

Puffed wild rice soup

Deep fried pork tenderloin with puffed wild rice

Gulf shrimps with ramps on black garlic risotto

dcarch

wildricesoup.jpg

friedporkwildrice3.jpg

friedporkwildrice2.jpg

friedporkwildrice.jpg

rampsshrimps2.jpg

rampsshrimps.jpg

Edited by dcarch (log)

Scotty – gorgeous soup! My chicken noodle is delicious, but looks nowhere near that lovely. Yours is beautiful and delicious looking!

Elise – I printed out that chicken recipe as soon as I saw it on the blog. It looks fantastic and I can’t wait to try it.

dcarch – lovely meal! I love wild rice soup and I think it would be so great with the added texture of the puffed rice.

Mr. Kim wanted a big salad for dinner last night:

med_gallery_3331_114_58555.jpg

I had a ham and provolone sandwich on some really good raisin and walnut bread that we got with our CSA basket this week and fried potatoes:

med_gallery_3331_114_251227.jpg

deensiebat - your salad looks incredible. Rhubarb, beets, and blue cheese, I would never have thought of that.

dcarch - beautiful as always.

Kim Shook - great looking sandwich - I cannot resist a good crusty baguette!

Last night's dinner was cooked on the grill. We had locally-caught black gill rockcod fillets with salsa di Giovanna (olive oil with garlic, mint, and marjoram - based on a recipe in Jamie Oliver's Jamie's Italy), and rainbow chard with home-cured tesa/pancetta.

7219667848_4393a1071d_z.jpg

Grilling the chard was nice (I had to blanch it first though), it gave it a nice smoky flavor. It was based on this recipe from Food and Wine, with some tweaks.

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

Kim, wonderful meal. That cake looks so light..mouthwatering.

I made morcilla-stuffed squid with a spicy tomato and chilli sauce. No joke, people - this has to be one of the best things I've made in ages. I couldn't get over how delicious this was, though it helped that I started with VERY good morcilla.

And a simple green salad of mache.

2012-05-06 at 18.45.25.jpg

This interests me muchly.... how did you get the morcilla cooked through before the squid turned to rubber?

Thanks FrogPrincesse. That home cured pancetta looks amazing.

Thanks Scottyboy. That makes me feel very good, coming from you, a true professional.

Kim, Thanks. Interesting, I never had frozen pizza. I alway re-heat them first. :laugh:

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)

Heidi – Thank you, I hope your tuna turned out well.

dcarch – Thanks, and beautiful Mother’s Day meal.

Slipper burgers with onion, garlic, ginger, chiles, cilantro, coriander, cumin, black pepper, and cayenne, grilled over charcoal. Served with potato rolls and Sriracha mayo. Younger son made the unpictured salad.

p734649473-4.jpg

7vegsoup.jpg

The 'seven vegetable soup' from A Girl and Her Pig. The seven vegetables (count them) are onions, fennel, potatoes, celeriac, carrots, Jerusalem artichokes and turnip. I guess maybe Bloomfield doesn't count onion as one of the holy septity. Maybe. But whatever: this soup, which is really just made from those vegetables plus chicken stock, a squeeze of lemon juice, a couple 'glugs' of olive oil and some ground up Pequin chillies is very good. Assaulting it with a stick blender wasn't something Bloomfield said I should do, but I felt it was a good idea. I left some bits and pieces whole, tho'.

The boneless lamb shoulder was seasoned then put in the smoker for a couple of hours. I then wrapped it in foil and moved it into a slow oven, where it stayed for the duration of the afternoon.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Bruce – I’ve already got chicken thawed, but now I want burgers for dinner tonight. Those look really good.

Dinner last night was really just a snack:

med_gallery_3331_114_269028.jpg

Bleu cheese and honey on a crusty baguette with fruit. We went to a Lebanese food festival yesterday afternoon and stuffed ourselves, so this was all we wanted. Mr. Kim has the week off and we are painting our family room, so my cooking with be a bit sketchy, at best, this week.

Hope people aren't tired of seeing this salad but I've finalized it! Switched to a puree of celery root, parsnip, mushroom oil (from frying shrooms for soup) and champagne vinegar. A la Manresa and Noma I make the "soil". I've dumbed it down big time. Toast almond flour, cocoa powder, salt, sugar and brown butter into the food pro. "nutty, bitter, sweet, salty and rich from butter. People are big fans and all sous vide veggies from my garden.

7235835240_8a88aacc1a_z.jpg

7236115658_a777aee345_z.jpg

7236116160_66ec1cfaf8_z.jpg

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog