• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

Here is a good link to Korean chicken wings with pictures included. The recipe is kind of involved.

http://abeautifulmos...t-ginger-glaze/

Edit: The mom of one of my son's friends does this in the oven but it isn't as crisp. You can also put the wings in the oven to keep warm after they have been glazed if you want to hold them while preparing other things.

Norm, thank you very much for the link. Do you use yellow or white corn syrup? And regular white vinegar or some other kind? I will be making these for sure.

Kim, one of my favorite dishes is those ribs, braised with Barvarian sauerkraut (a bit sweeter than regular kraut, and has caraway seeds processes with the cabbage)and thin sliced onions. I love garlic, so I add avery generous dose, scattered throughout, s & p. Throw in a glass of white wine, smallish, cover and cook low and slow on the stove or in the oven, in a heavy pot, irritate them around every so often, adding more liquid if needed, and after a couple of hours, just turn off the heat and let them set. Go out with friends, have a drink or three, come home, reheat and serve with mashed potatoes, your onions and applesauce. Yum! Add a green veg of your choice, or a salad.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

This thread is wonderful. Thanks to all you talented and creative people, I'm inspired, to say the least... and salivating as I devour all your gorgeous food photos, page after page...! It's the fourth day, I'm only on Page 16...see you at the most recent post one of the days!

This thread is wonderful. Thanks to all you talented and creative people, I'm inspired, to say the least... and salivating as I devour all your gorgeous food photos, page after page...! It's the fourth day, I'm only on Page 16...see you at the most recent post one of the days!

Welcome to Egullet!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

judiu – those ribs sound wonderful. I’ve translated your post into a sorta-recipe and I’ll be trying that. Perfect Fall meal!

Bruce – I love the cowboy beans! I just thought of another thing to do with those leftover balsamic onions!

Breakfast for dinner again last night:

med_gallery_3331_114_64755.jpg

Scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage and those good yeast-raised waffles. They worked quite well heated up in the toaster.

This is a recipe I've made twice before. The combination of flavors is tremendous.

Sweat shallots in a bit of butter.

s4zDzl.jpg

Add in cockles.

ROa6ol.jpg

Clean the tongues, reserve the juice for the clam butter which you add the clams and some diced tomato confit to.

d5jmol.jpg

Remove the dark skin from the sole, but just scale and keep the white skin. Fillet both sides, then spread each side with butter and salt, and "reconstitute" the sole. This is braised at 85ºC for 8 minutes.

KKj7dl.jpg

Pommes boulangere: potatoes are cut into rounds and cooked in a rich chicken stock with butter and lemon thyme until very well glazed. They become incredibly creamy.

kpwgUl.jpg

Then you sprinkle them with lemon thyme leaves.

STHMMl.jpg

The sole is coated in the clam butter and placed on a bed of caramelized onions.

Onvtsl.jpg

mm84321, that's really, really nice!

I was not that lucky! For dinner I had a little bit of leftover from lunch: some rabbit and a gratin of celeriac from River Cottage that I particularly enjoyed. Then I needed to cook some lamb kidneys and tried another recipe from Obb bits: grilled kidneys with a lemon, anchovy, rosemary butter. Nice. I had a bit of steamed basmati as well.

meatrabbitcooked.jpg

meatlambkidney.jpg

mm – your cockle and sole dish is not only gorgeous, but it has most of my favorite foods in it!

Leaving tomorrow morning for NC to visit my grandmother for a few days, so Jessica came over for dinner. Started with the ubiquitous salad:

med_gallery_3331_114_50107.jpg

We had some skinny, skinny steaks that she found on sale:

med_gallery_3331_114_94129.jpg

They were actually very good and extremely tender. But medium was the best I could do. I did a version of Cowboy Beans (thanks, Bruce):

med_gallery_3331_114_115513.jpg

I did some pintos this morning to have on hand for Mr. Kim. Also had the meaty bone from a ham that a friend had smoked for us. Added some BBQ sauce, brown sugar, left over roasted balsamic onions and a little mustard. Fabulous. I also did some squash with onions and peppers for Mr. Kim. Everything was good, but it somehow doesn’t look very appetizing:

med_gallery_3331_114_1758.jpg

Those are more of the left over roasted onions on the steak.

Here is a good link to Korean chicken wings with pictures included. The recipe is kind of involved.

http://abeautifulmos...t-ginger-glaze/

Edit: The mom of one of my son's friends does this in the oven but it isn't as crisp. You can also put the wings in the oven to keep warm after they have been glazed if you want to hold them while preparing other things.

Norm, thank you very much for the link. Do you use yellow or white corn syrup? And regular white vinegar or some other kind? I will be making these for sure.

Your are welcome ElsieD. My son made the wings this time and I did not notice what vinegar he used but we usually use rice vinegar and white corn syrup. If he didn't use rice vinegar, I am sure he used cider vinegar. He would not have used any of the other vinegars we have. When we had our restaurant, his mother and grandmother used Essig vinegar.

Well my photo from above was edited and I can't change my post so, yea.

8001767809_53bc52cdce_b.jpg

I cooked wild Alaskan salmon sous vide recently at 106 degrees for 30 minutes. My husband is not a fan of fish that tastes "too fishy" if you know what I mean, so the dish taste wise was not a big success, but texture wise it was perfect. I wondered about trying it again with a milder fish and it looks like halibut will fill the bill nicely. That is a lovely plate. How much olive oil did you use?

I had 6 portions of the same size and only need 3 tablespoons of oil. This fish was so clean and sweet I'm sure he would love it.

It doesn't have a high oil content so that fishy thing doesn't happen much as long as it's fresh. Lends so well to an oil poach, it's my method of choice.

Edited by ScottyBoy (log)

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

Been a while since I made something nice for myself. God California halibut is good. Olive oil poach (113F-30min), garlic cream spinach, lemon beurre blanc and grapes.

8001767809_7f422792e8_b.jpg

I confess! Scottyboy, the picture was missing because it looked so good I ate it :blush::laugh:

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)