• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

This is a continuation of the massive original Dinner! topic (when it got up near a thousand pages the database started having trouble with it...) Carry on!

(Please note that the original topic is temporarily offline while I split it into chunks the server can manage... it will be back soon, I promise!)

Edited by Chris Hennes
Added note (log)

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

NOTE FROM MANAGEMENT: As this monster topic approaches a thousand pages, the database has started having trouble with it. We are therefore closing this one, and starting up a new Dinner! topic here. Please don't forget to subscribe to the new one! My apologies for the inconvenience. Thanks.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

This was inspired by SobaAddict's Greek lemon potatoes :smile:

Started out with some wings with some similar marinate as the potatoes

wings-5.jpg

Potatoes got a nice crisp on the Egg

taters-5.jpg

Lamb shoulder chops with Cluck and Squeal Beef rub..Try this :wink:

juicy-3.jpg

With some Tomato/cucumber salad and grilled pita

lambandwings.jpg

Love this thread, some amazingly talented people here.

Look forward to the next 1000 pages :laugh:

Shane

Edited by Mr Holloway (log)

Oh my God Shane those wings and shoulder chops look incredible.

I gave Meenal's murgh cholay another try, but this time substituted young frozen peas for the chickpeas, added at the very end and cooked until just done. This dish is just tremendous, I urge you to try it! As mentioned previously, I use a mix of yogurt and sour cream for the curd specified in the recipe.

(Also, Blether, if you're reading this, the Millser large container is perfect for blending the cooked onions and the curd.)

murgh_with_peas.jpg

murgh_with_peas_2.jpg

Edited by patrickamory (log)

Shane – those lamb chops…I think that I can smell the gorgeous aroma from here. It’s 1:30am and I’m wondering where I can get grilled lamb!

I may be getting ready to disappear again. Don’t know if anyone remembers, but a couple of years ago, I was MIA for a long period when my grandmother had a stroke. Well, the same grandmother has had a really bad fall - surgery and at LEAST 3 months in a rehab facility, so my mom and I are heading down there. I’m not sure how much I’ll be there over the next few months, but I didn’t want to just vanish! I thought I’d post some meals from the last few days.

Dinner the other night was a salad and some baked spaghetti that a friend brought to us:

med_gallery_3331_114_139204.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_1478.jpg

Then another night we had our favorite - breakfast for dinner. Benton’s country ham slices:

med_gallery_3331_114_35151.jpg

With eggs, biscuits and fries:

med_gallery_3331_114_9461.jpg

No pictures of today’s meal – just leftovers tonight because I was working on tailgate food all day. Game is at noon tomorrow, so it will be breakfast. Apple cider sweet rolls:

med_gallery_3331_119_48110.jpg

med_gallery_3331_119_120274.jpg

Really good, but the filling was a real PITA – very, very wet. Still really good though, especially since the cream cheese icing includes apple cider that has been reduced to a syrup.

Ham and Gruyere quiche:

med_gallery_3331_114_77621.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_128978.jpg

I used the Thomas Keller pâte brisée – easy and delicious! I also made a fruit salad.

I had a bunch of finally ripe nectarines that needed to be used, so I made a pie using the CI vodka crust recipe:

med_gallery_3331_119_134532.jpg

med_gallery_3331_119_56819.jpg

The pastry is a dream to work with – it all goes together in the food processor and rolls out very nicely. AND there is plenty of it to make the crust. Flakey, tender…all the good stuff!

I'll check in when I can!

Rotuts: The marinate was olive oil,lemon juice,some zest and a store bought Greek spice blend

The wings were on the Egg, indirect @400 for about 45 min :smile:

Patrick: Thank you, the lamb is always a treat

Chris: I feel the same way about wings :laugh:

Kim: Very sorry to hear about your Grandmother.

Always look forward to your posts

Breakfast for dinner is on the menu tonight :smile:

Shane

Kim – Best wishes for your grandmother. Your pastries look fantastic, especially the nectarine pie. I need to learn to work with flour.

chefmd – Nice!

Stir-fried fish curry: Chunks of halibut, with red curry paste, ginger, garlic, fish sauce, chiles, and Thai basil, served over coconut jasmine rice.

Not pictured: Mrs. C made tomato-watermelon salad, and another salad with baby romaine, parsley, red bell pepper, jicama, and a watermelon vinaigrette.

p1109098940-4.jpg

For visiting cousins we made scampi and a simple green bean salad (parboiled green beans tossed with salt, olive oil, and lemon juice). One cousin, as it turns out, doesn't eat shrimp so I made a quick aio e oio, which went over well.

Tossed leftovers together and nuked for this morning's breakfast.

p1110051756-4.jpg