• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

Thanks folks.

Something decidedly more mundane tonight:

039.JPG

Onions (about two large yellow onions, sliced) slow-cooked in olive oil.

107.JPG

Spaghetti con acciughe e pangrattato (spaghetti with anchovies and bread crumbs).

This version has onions instead of the traditional garlic and breadcrumbs from the loaf I baked a few weeks ago. Nothing but anchovies, onions, parsley, olive oil, bread crumbs, spaghetti, salt and a small pinch of red chile flakes. A bowl of this and a glass of red wine equals a dinner made in heaven.

robirdstx – gorgeous wings. I was just telling a friend that wings must be on special everywhere this month – everyone is making them.

Bruce – the gai yang sounds right up my alley! Could you hook me up with some proportions for the marinade (didn’t I just get you to do this for something else that you made? I can’t remember what it was, but I know that I made it and we loved it)?

Ashen – beautiful rib meal and that salad is gorgeous!

Patrick – tah-dig. I want.

Father’s day afternoon we went to my SIL’s for a combined Father’s Day celebration and party for our niece’s HS graduation. Our contributions included Marlene’s Red Pepper Jelly Cheesecake:

med_gallery_3331_114_316971.jpg

Texas Caviar and pita chips:

med_gallery_3331_114_155774.jpg

Green salad w/ mango and cucumbers and lime vinaigrette:

med_gallery_3331_114_51593.jpg

Everything turned out very good and was well received, but I honestly didn’t need to bother bringing anything but the one thing that I forgot to take a picture of, so here’s one from Mother’s Day:

med_gallery_3331_114_184024.jpg

It’s sweet piggies - just regular mini piggies with a honey/butter/brown sugar sauce poured over before baking. One of our nieces specially requested them and everyone went nuts over them. People were actually picking up the entire baking dish to carry it into other rooms so they wouldn’t get eaten up by others. I made a double batch, but I think that I could have made 10 times that and they would have still disappeared!

Mr. Kim made his fabulous apple cake:

med_gallery_3331_119_321755.jpg

Mr. Kim’s Father’s day gift:

med_gallery_3331_114_247638.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_247903.jpg

That’s a robe-sized giftbox, with a regular sized dinner plate, fork, knife, etc. Printed out clip-art of a steak dinner. When I asked him what he wanted for Father’s day, he said a steak dinner. Since we were going to be at my SIL’s for dinner, I thought a coupon would be in order. We’ll make a trip to the butcher shop soon :biggrin: .

Last night we had so much left over from Father’s day that I assumed it would just be a refrigerator rummage dinner, but bless Momma’s heart she showed up with her vegetable-beef soup:

med_gallery_3331_114_280034.jpg

I made a little garlic bread with more of the scali rolls and it was delicious. I did have a little bit of a snack from leftovers:

med_gallery_3331_114_302823.jpg

Kim Shook you are real maestro!!!!! This looks not only wonderful, my eyes are hungry too! :D . Anyway, i showed this to my friend which is professional cooker, he said that you are probably high ranked cooker :)

"The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live."

Franchise Takeaway

Bruce, Shane, and Kim - thanks for the compliments on my grilled chicken wings. We like our wings without breading, so cooking them on the grill outdoors makes clean up so much easier than deep frying them indoors.

Yesterday, I made carnitas using one of the Homesick Texan's recipes, so dinner last night was

Carnitas-01.jpg

Tacos with Carnitas and Avocado

Cheers fellas, I'm entering my first BBQ competition next week so have had lots of practice on those ribs. Wish me luck!

If it tastes half as good as it looks, you should win the competition! Break a leg.

If it is a KCBS competition, let me know if they need a KCBS judge ;-)

Here are some ribs and brisket I picked up for dinner one day. Not made myself, but delicious nonetheless.

IMG_1309.JPG

IMG_1307.JPG

Another dinner... Fried Rice w/Steak

Fried_Rice_Steak.jpg

robirdstx, great looking Carnitas.

Edited by percyn (log)

Bruce – the gai yang sounds right up my alley! Could you hook me up with some proportions for the marinade . . .

Kim - Thank you. PM sent, and apologies for the late reply.

Percy - That steak fried rice looks great - why have I never made that?

Grilled five-spice chicken – drumsticks slashed and marinated with ginger, garlic, five-spice powder, sugar, turmeric, oil, soy sauce, and toasted and ground star anise. One of my all-time favorite things to do with chicken.

Salad and bread to fill out the food pyramid.

p727529672-4.jpg

Edited by C. sapidus (log)

My wife and I had beef short ribs, grilled garlic scapes, mixed greens salad with a greek flair last night. The garlic scapes were dressed with evoo , lemon juice,s&p . they are a bit chewy, think slightly stale licorice , but oh so good done this way.Romesco sauce is great for them too.

beefshortribs.jpggrilledgarlicscapes.jpgmixedsalad.jpg

Dave, these shortribs were fantastic. Thanks for the sample :biggrin:

Will need the recipe for the marinade

Shane

Edited by Mr Holloway (log)

rotuts – I’m happy to share the cake recipe: http://www.recipecir...ke_from_GA.html - I’m always amazed at how good it is and Mr. Kim is NOT a baker!

Prawn – beautiful, beautiful, perfectly perfect ribs!!!! You gotta win with those! Good luck, my friend.

pastameshugana - Texas caviar is onion, bell pepper, green onions, jalapenos, garlic, tomatoes, black beans, black eyed peas, vinaigrette, coriander and cilantro – recipe is here: http://www.recipecir...xas_Caviar.html

dcarch – lovely! I am particularly enamoured of the pineapple and the watermelon salad. I think my tastebuds have finally realized that summer is upon us. What kind of salad dressing is that on the watermelon/tomato salad? The pie made me hungry and happy – nice combination.

Stash – your ‘mundane’ pasta with anchovies has me salivating. I can only imagine how good that is.

Rod – thank you so much for the kind words! I just love feeding people and cooking for a crowd is something that my show-off side enjoys.

I’ve had a craving for chicken and waffles for a while and decided to indulge tonight:

med_gallery_3331_114_262738.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_280985.jpg

Also sweet potatoes and mustard slaw. The bacon was interesting:

med_gallery_3331_114_249265.jpg

Very curly and perfect for putting on top of sandwiches and such. I saw the technique on TV the other night – you just plop a few pieces at a time in a deep saucepan with oil in it. It was really good and something that I’ll try again – much faster than the regular way of cooking bacon and I used the leftover oil/bacon fat to try my chicken. The waffles were unfortunately, horrible. Mr. Kim is trying really have to go low carb and he bought Krusteaz Carb Simple pancake mix. Weird flavor, bad texture – blech! We ended up eating fried chicken and bacon with honey and hot sauce!

Short ribs, chicken, paella and bacon pr0n!!!! :smile: I'll take one of each please.

Leftover spaghetti last night, but there were these:

027-001.JPG

Insalata di cremini

In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, extra-virgin olive oil, sea salt, black pepper and minced Italian parsley. Stir in thinly sliced cremini mushrooms (or can be other types of mushrooms, like oyster mushrooms and shiitakes). Let sit for 5 minutes, then spoon mushrooms atop arugula leaves. Top with shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and serve at once.

Time: About 15 minutes, including prep.

046-001.JPG

"Potato salad".

This is a variant of this salad that I made back in January: http://kitchenseason...ay-snapshots-2/

The ingredients in the version below consist of Russian Banana fingerling potatoes, zucchini, bottarga (dried mullet roe), garlic, red chile pepper flakes, scallions, salmon roe, extra-virgin olive oil and lemon juice. The potatoes and zucchini were cooked first in lightly salted water, then finished in garlic and chile-infused olive oil that had a teaspoon of bottarga stirred in prior to adding the vegetables. Salmon roe, scallions and lemon juice to finish.

Inspired by the bottarga thread, specifically posts by Adam Balic and FrogPrincesse.

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

I'm smokin and grilling in the rain. Actually it was just a few drops of rain but the cloud cover made it pleasant to be outside. I grilled a butterflied (leap frog style butterfly) chicken that was marinated overnight and basted with a mix that included paprika, garlic, lime juice and olive oil. It was a good thing the smoker was going too because I ran out of gas before the chicken was done and finished it over the coals in the fire box of the smoker. I also cooked some corn on the cob over the coals, then cut it off the cob, heated it in a sauce pan with butter, salt, honey and cream.

I got some raw Cajun Bratwurst and smoked them in the smoker. The picture was taken when they were about half done. The steam and smoke made my lens foggy so the picture is blurry.. sorry. Now that they are done and cooled in ice water they will be ready to steam in beer for dinner tonight. The chicken and corn was lunch. I plan to make some eggplant to go with the sausage for dinner tonight.

The chicken

DSCN0138.jpg

bratwurst cold smoked at between 160 and 190 for most of the three hours in the smoker.

DSCN0139.jpg

Sorry about the blurry picture of the half done brats

DSCN0143.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

I've been doing a lot of cooking with Copper River Salmon recently in our Cook-Off #59 http://forums.egulle...80#entry1882480 here. As the season winds down, this will probably be the last dish I'll make until next year.

Copper River Salmon "Poke"-

019.JPG

Better round of ribs this time. 7 hour smoke at 200F. Rosemary brown butter smashed taters, simple salad. Solid meal.

c326169ebce411e1b00112313800c5e4_7.jpg

Nice! Did you get the smoke ring this time? ("They" say the secret with an electric smoker is to put a regular charcoal briquette in with the wood.)

I just got a propane smoker, seasoned it today, and tomorrow I will be trying some pulled pork for its maiden run.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Catching up here. First, koubideh kebabs (ground lamb with spices), on the sword-like Persian skewers. We did these under the gas broiler (no grills allowed on the 11th floor). Served with rice and fresh bitter oranges to squeeze:

koubideh.jpg

And tonight, frijoles borrachos. This is my third time making these to a friend's family recipe. Beans were Good Mother Stallards from Rancho Gordo. The beer the last two times has been Chimay Grand Reserve (the blue label). This was the first time I had both bacon and chicharron for the base. Along with onions, garlic, roasted peeled polanos and tomatoes. Served with rice, fresh limes, chopped cilantro and El Yucateco green hot sauce. I think it's my best yet:

frijoles_borrachos.jpg