• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

What is that, mm? It's gorgously modern-artesque....

Thanks. The center is a rosace of black truffles sitting atop a smoked bacon béchamel. Egg yolk cooked slowly in olive oil on top of that, then an asparagus cream poured around, and beignets filled with more of the béchamel sauce and asparagus tips.

Beignets? Those look dead-on for baby sunburst squash, you are very talented my friend.

I was convinced they were little yellow summer squashes! Lovely and playful presentation

Ha. From that angle they actually do look like squash.

Here's a closer shot:

2qEzEl.jpg

They are just little balls of butter, coated in egg and breadcrumbs, twice, deep fried, then you poke a little hole to let the melted butter escape, pipe in some béchamel, and then insert a blanched asparagus tip.

ssY9Yl.jpg

That's pretty neat.

I realize I've been remiss posting on this thread, ah well.

231.JPG

Zucchini "pasta" with heirloom tomatoes, shallot and herbs.

I suppose 'shaving' is the my 'in'-thing this year, at least with some stuff I've done so far.

060.JPG

Broiled monkfish (from Blue Moon Fish), stir-fried pea shoots with roasted ramp bulbs.

Ramp bulbs were roasted with extra-virgin olive oil, white wine vinegar, salt and pepper and subbed instead of garlic. Pea shoots are your standard Cantonese stir-fry, with sesame oil and white pepper to finish.

093.JPG

Rock shrimp, bluefoot mushrooms (Psilocybe caerulipes for the botanically inclined), asparagus

153.JPG

Spinach tagliolini pasta with uncooked heirloom tomato sauce (heirloom tomatoes, shallots, mint, oregano, sea salt, black pepper, capers)

053.JPG

Rock shrimp with Indian spices, heirloom tomatoes and cilantro

No pic of tonight's dinner -- dal, rice, mint raita and mango juice.

Twyst – A big shout-out for your gorgeous soft-shell crab. One of my favorite foods, and too soon gone.

Soba – Scientific names always enhance a meal. :smile: Beautiful stuff, particularly the shrimp dishes.

Dinner for one tonight, so I tried a new recipe from Dancing Shrimp. If Kasma calls it spicy . . .

Southern-style spicy tamarind bay scallops with crisped shallots and garlic –Dried chiles, fresh chiles, and Sriracha for heat; Maggi and fish sauce for umami/salt; tamarind and brown sugar for sweet/sour; fried shallots, garlic, and onions for savor; scallions, cilantro, and more chiles for garnish. Served on a bed of lettuce, and enjoyed with jasmine rice.

p282948106-4.jpg

A very busy Spring and Summer and finally able to get in here again. As it has been said before, great inspiration from everyone, from prep to photos. To add to the great seafood above, last night's dinner.

Broiled Copper River Sockeye with tarragon reduction, stuffed tomato (with a bit of pico de gallo and panko), and almost the star of the dish, roasted thyme potatoes in duck fat. Great salmon can certainly take all these flavors well.

20120602_191934.jpg

The roasted potatoes.

20120602_185343.jpg

And I want a table for two and a chicken for eight o'clock.

Like Soba, I've been remiss in actually posting my own food here (largely because I've been so busy that I've been eating truly awful things....) Unlike Soba, I don't have a whole lot of yum to show you.

Here's the first respectable thing I've cooked in nearly a month: Beef Stroganstuff (using yogurt, not cream, so not a proper Stroganoff) with dried slimecaps (Suellius luteus) and king bolete. I had sirloin scraps, which made all the difference.

Stroganstuff.jpg

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Bruce, the crispy tamarind bay scallops look lovely. David Thompson?

I made Boston-style baked beans. It was a weeklong process. Recipe devised from several John Thorne recipes, mainly because I didn't have the right ingredients to make any single one of them. This is mainly a combination of his "Up-North Beans" and his "Downeast Baked Beans" from Serious Pig.

First, we made salt pork by taking pork belly from Eataly and soaking it in a brine of salt and brown sugar for four days:

salt_pork.jpg

We fortunately have lots of extra in the freezer for summer chowder.

Next we soaked Rancho Gordo's EXCELLENT Jacob's Cattle beans overnight:

beans_soaking.jpg

And then put them in the dutch oven and boiled and simmered them with their soaking liquid "until a sharp breath will split the skin of a bean" (this direction has got to come from one of the old recipes Thorne researched), and drained them, reserving the cooking liquid:

beans_in_pot.jpg

Meanwhile, boiling water gets poured over the salt pork pieces and left to soak for a few minutes, then drained.

The next step is to combine the beans with the salt pork, along with molasses, rum, mustard powder, salt and pepper, and then add back enough bean liquid to be visible through the beans, and bake for 5 1/2 hours at 250 degrees. Every so often you have to check that there's still a minimum of liquid, and add back bean liquid as necessary, moving on to water once the bean liquid has run out; here's a shot partway through the baking process:

beans_baking.jpg

And at the end:

baked_beans_final.jpg

A pantry meal tonight. Corn and salmon cakes with horseradish/sriracha mayo. Simple but tasty.

corn and salmon cakes with mayo.jpg

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Stash, avaserfi, Anna, Paul, Bruce – well, thanks y’all. I was all keyed up to go out in a while for some really good ribs at a favorite local place that just opened a new location right near us. Now what do I want? SCALLOPS!!! :angry::laugh:

Hassouni - Bún Tôm Heo Nướng sounds and looks really, really good.

dcarch – your ribs look fantastic and I love that you mixed up the corn with the crawfish – they are the perfect pairing, so why not some of each in each bite!

Twyst – soft shells win. Always. Hands down. Oh, my. I haven’t had one yet this summer.

Scotty – if you would make me a bowl of that lobster soup without the sirachi (super taster :sad: ), I would get on an airplane tonight. Just amazing.

Elizabeth – I like the idea of stroganstuff – starting with the basic idea of stroganoff, but using what you have on hand or can get. I have to confess that the name slime caps took me aback. When I Googled ‘Suellius luteus’ and found that they do indeed have slimy caps, I blanched a bit. I don’t eat mushrooms (they are always cut VERY thick in my stroganoff so I can eat around them), but SLIME??? :blink: <shiver>

Anna – your pantry meals are much, much more impressive than mine! I really like your method of putting corn in a salmon cake. I got a great recipe from Suzi for fresh salmon cakes and I think I’ll add corn next time I make them.

Dinner a couple of nights ago was steak, broccoli and corn. The steaks were crappy Omaha Steaks filets that a lovely, but clueless person gave us for Christmas. They looked great and I cooked them perfectly medium rare, but except for the mushrooms on top and the A-1 that we used, they were basically tasteless. Even the bacon they were wrapped in was crappy. The corn was from the grocery store (and pretty good for May), but the broccoli and mushrooms were from our CSA and were great. At least Mr. Kim and Jessica said the mushrooms were great – I don’t indulge.

med_gallery_3331_114_140657.jpg

The other side dish was kohlrabi greens. Even Mr. Kim couldn’t eat them and he LOVES most vegetables.

med_gallery_3331_114_72287.jpg

No great loss since they came attached to a kohlrabi in our CSA box. I was doing some research on kohlrabi recipes and found some for the greens. At least I tried. :rolleyes:

Awhile back someone at here (I think it was FrogPrincesse) did a piece of fish wrapped in prosciutto and roasted. It looked so good that I tucked the idea away to try. Cleaning out the freezer yesterday, I found a nice big slice of prosciutto. We got some cod last night and tried it out. Out of the oven:

med_gallery_3331_114_113090.jpg

Along with some grape tomatoes that I roasted with the fish. I did nothing but add a little pepper to the fish before I wrapped it. I tossed the tomatoes with a little olive oil and S&P. The fish was really fantastic. Moist and deeply flavored from the ham. An amazingly easy dish and really impressive – I wouldn’t hesitate to do it for company. Topped with a quick shaved fennel and orange salad (fennel from our CSA box – salad was also really good) and served with peas (CSA), broccoli (CSA) and some really good bread from a local bakery:

med_gallery_3331_114_27805.jpg

I also reworked some leftover quinoa from the detestable mustard green dish to make a salad with pimentos and zucchini (CSA):

med_gallery_3331_114_283124.jpg

Mr. Kim liked this a lot.

Elizabeth – I like the idea of stroganstuff – starting with the basic idea of stroganoff, but using what you have on hand or can get. I have to confess that the name slime caps took me aback. When I Googled ‘Suellius luteus’ and found that they do indeed have slimy caps, I blanched a bit. I don’t eat mushrooms (they are always cut VERY thick in my stroganoff so I can eat around them), but SLIME??? :blink: <shiver>

Kim, the name is misleading. Slimecaps are almost never used fresh, where the texture is more than offputting, even for a diehard fungus fan like myself. In the Ecuadorian kitchen, they're exclusively a dried mushroom, which process allows their marvelous flavour to develop and concentrate. As ingredients go, I'd consider them less in the range of a mushroom, and more in the range of magical umami chunks; I generally rehydtrate them into whatever I'm using in lieu of cream - last night, that was yogurt cut with milk. I've also been known to powder them in my mortar and pestle and add them whenever I think a dish lacks that certain yummthing.

I'd be hard-pressed to actually describe the taste of Suellius, though. They make creamy things taste creamier, rich things taste richer, and overly salty things taste less salty (and hence they're a go-to when using bacalao.)

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Patrick – Thanks! The recipe was from Kasma Loha-Unchit’s wonderful (but sadly out of print) Dancing Shrimp, as is tonight’s dinner. Oh, and your beans look killer.

Kim – Ribs and scallops would make an unconventional surf ‘n turf, but right now I’m craving prosciutto-wrapped fish.

Paul – Nice pho!

Thai shrimp salad – blanched shrimp, tossed with sliced lemongrass, shallots, cilantro, mint, and a sauce of lime juice, fish sauce, roasted chile paste, sliced bird chiles, and sugar. The lime juice finishes “cooking” the shrimp, like a Thai ceviche. Mrs. C prefers the texture of chopped shrimp, so that’s what I did and she had seconds.

Stir-fried yard-long beans - with fermented black beans, sliced garlic, rice vinegar, chicken stock, and sesame oil.

Coconut rice – to welcome younger son home.

p312133140-4.jpg

Thanks Bruce. I do use Kasma's website as a reference for information, techniques, ingredients and occasionally recipes, but I've yet to pick up either of her books. I do have them on my list, but I'm running out of space for cookbooks!

Son's GF's birthday is tomorrow and she wants cheesecake instead of a cake so I made this one. It has a sweetened sour cream 'icing' and is topped with half strawberries and half raspberries. The glaze is Cointreau and raspberry sauce. She also wants steak for dinner so I will do some shell steaks on the grill along with roasted potatoes, corn, zucchini and green beans with onions and mushrooms.

DSCN0115.jpg