• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

Laksa tonight, made even tastier with homemade prawn stock to bolster an already very good laksa paste (Tean's brand).

With the component parts of noodles, sliced fish cakes, fried tofu puffs, bean sprouts, blanched squid, fried onions and garlic, coriander, and a spoonful of Malaysian crispy prawn sambal.

2012-01-05 at 18.11.51.jpg

With soup added.

2012-01-05 at 18.13.40.jpg

And C. Sapidus..what happened to the eternal cucumbers? :wink:

Da boyz have become fans of salad, but I usually throw in some cukes for old times' sake.

Speaking of pork fat, tonight younger son baked a pound of bacon with maple syrup. It didn't last long.

C. sapidus, what was the recipe for the Malaccan beef and vegetable stew? That looks DELICIOUS.

Thank you, Patrick. The recipe is from James Oseland's Cradle of Flavor, a book that I can recommend unreservedly. An adaptation of the recipe can be found here (clicky). Send me a PM if you would like more info.

Yum!

oh yes

I think I shall go to Sripraphai this weekend so I can satisfy my laska craving :wub: thanks to RRO...

025.JPG

Warm chicory salad, with shallots, Kalamata olives and blood orange

Sushi

Green tea with honey and ginseng

Mochi stuffed with red bean ice cream

I heard about this dish but never tried it, so, the other day, when I was at Carrefour and I saw "pieds et paquets" I could restrain myself

pieds et paquets 1.JPG

I love offals in general but I don't eat tripe. I said to myself, maybe it's the way my mom cooks it that I don't like, I need to give to it another chance.

The pieds and paquets cooked in the oven for 6 hours with lardons fume, onion, garlic, tomatoes, carrots, bay leaf, quattre epice and a whole bottle of white wine

pieds et paquets 2.JPG

I'm glad I had a plan B: calf's liver! Maybe if I ordered from my butcher the quality would have been much better.

The lambs trotter where actually very tender and delicious but everything got spoiled by the paquets, even the sauce that I was planning to eat with steamed potatoes. My husband declared he likes the Chinese way, no smell, no taste pure textural experience. Oh, well, we cannot like everything. Good that I have sweetbreads soaking :rolleyes:

Edited by Franci (log)

mm84321, I'm so jealous you can get salsify! I've only ever seen it once here, bought the whole stock, and promptly massacred it with fritters so leaden and chewy they could have been used as doorstops. :sad:

Lovely salad, Soba. Just the sort of salad I love, with THINGS in it.

And Franci, you are indeed a brave cook! Pig trotters I love, but never thought of eating lamb's trotters..wow.

Dinner here was all a bit twee English summer; a salad of greens and nasturtiums, dressed with shallot/honey/Dijon mustard/walnut oil, a pan fried trout (OK, left most of the skin in the pan..cook's treat) and a good old Pimms and ginger ale.

trout.jpg

Glad to see RRO is making up for lost time on this thread.

Grilling again. This time we sampled a simple slab of sirloin. Salted.

Jan062012005.jpg

Quesadillas, potatoes in foil (previously nestled in the coals) and some zucchini. Not pictured: Nopales (prickly pear cactus I think it's called).

Jan062012012.jpg

Terrible, terrible light, no post. I'm pretty happy with the new camera.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

Franci - you might enjoy some other eGulleters adventures with pigs feet and tripe here. Apparently the opinions varied. You are a brave cook.

It was a very nice blog, that I missed, thanks Heidih. Chufi is so charming, so bad that I haven't seen her posting for a while.

Dakki, I could never get sick of meat on the grill. Very nice.

I think I need to go back to easy dinners. Children need more time with mommy, so I'll see what can I do with a 15 minute prep at most. Tonight we had a pasta dish that I've not made in a while.

It's very tasty, a chickpeas ragu with usual soffritto (onion, celery, carrot) plus some jamon fat and jamon cubes, lardons, chickpeas, some tinned tomatoes and bay leaves. Son number one didn't almost touch it but the little one- 11 months- really enjoyed it :laugh:

ragu ceci.JPG

Marinated Salmon with Roasted Sweet Potato and Broccoli

Both the broccoli and sweet potato were cooked sous vide. I learned that I am not a big fan of broccoli SV but the potatoes turned out very nice.

photo 21.jpg

I made eggplant and chicken parmesan for dinner tonight. I put eggplant on the first layer and chicken on the second layer.

Last year we got some corn spaghetti (gluten free) because son's GF wanted to try some and I used it up and we had that with the parmesan dish.. not pictured. also not going to get any more of that stuff. LOL

DSCF3903.jpg

DSCF3906.jpg

DSCF3910.jpg

DSCF3913.jpg

Beef ribs, with Korean galbi marinade (pear juice, honey, black pepper, soy sauce, sesame oil) with cauliflower puree, glazed carrots and sauteed spinach.

Cooked the ribs sous vide for 48 hours and then finished in a hot pan. They were very nice, maybe not quite as meltingly tender as anticipated, but that was likely operator error.

2012-01-08 at 18.33.23.jpg

Beef ribs, with Korean galbi marinade (pear juice, honey, black pepper, soy sauce, sesame oil) with cauliflower puree, glazed carrots and sauteed spinach.

Cooked the ribs sous vide for 48 hours and then finished in a hot pan. They were very nice, maybe not quite as meltingly tender as anticipated, but that was likely operator error.

It looks wonderful. I doubt any lack of tenderness was due to 'operator error'. They look about as perfect as 'humanly' possible.

Looks delicious Kate!

In my experience, sous vide ribs have a different texture than traditional braised ribs and don't have that fall-off-the-bone-stick-to-your-ribs tenderness.

No photos, but a yummy dinner party last night, with several new-to-me-recipes...

Started out with this Roasted Feta with Honey Thyme appetizer, served with a warm baguette. I made this in individual ramekins, and people loved it. Super easy to make, which is always a bonus for an appetizer.

Then I threw together a roasted poblano and tomatillo soup, with a splash of cream. Subtle, and savory, and delicious. Served it with a dollop of sour cream and some fried tortilla strips. [As side note, anyone who has access to a Wegmans supermarket, they are now selling bags diced roasted poblanos in their freezer section!]

Main course was this recipe for Grilled Shrimp Salad with Black Eyed Peas and Citrus Chipotle Vinaigrette. Really nice, and unusual. Also a hit with guests.

Finally, finished up with these fantastic Graham Cracker Chewy Bars, served with key lime pie ice cream. The bars are really delicious... I thought the ice cream I made was too sour, but our guests didn't... I had mine with vanilla ice cream instead.

So many wonderful meals and enticingly beautiful photos. Think my shutter's fogged up and need cleaning, but here are the imcredibly tender and juicy lamb chops we had last night.

Chops were slathered with whole grain Dijon mustard, covered with panko crumbs, browned in the pan, then finished in the oven. I made a quick fresh mint sauce with sushi seasoning... :blink: It works!

3pankolamb818.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

It looks wonderful. I doubt any lack of tenderness was due to 'operator error'. They look about as perfect as 'humanly' possible.

Looks delicious Kate!

In my experience, sous vide ribs have a different texture than traditional braised ribs and don't have that fall-off-the-bone-stick-to-your-ribs tenderness.

Thank you, kind sirs!

Ribs, lamb chops... I'm a big meat eater. Both look wonderful to me.

Tonight I made cauliflower "steaks" with saute' sweetbreads with a garlic, anchovies, olives, parsley, lemon sauce. I would have preferred a more simple capers beurre noisette but I'm off dairy and the husbands doesn't like capers. I did really liked the cauliflower. Making for sure again.

bistecca cavolfiore.JPG