• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

Lotus root soup, tonight’s version chez huiray.

Short-cut pork spare ribs, sautéed w/ garlic in peanut oil; quenched w/ pork bone stock (from pork knuckles & shin bones w/ lots of marrow & some meat). Then, into the mix was added: sliced peeled (skinned) washed lotus root [“Lin Ngaau”; 蓮藕], rehydrated “Far Koo” [flower-patterned thick cap shiitake mushrooms; 花菇], big fat ‘black’ “Hung Chou” [special grade of Chinese red dates; Jujubes; Ziziphus ziziphus; 紅棗], raw “Fa Sang” [red-skinned peanuts, shelled; 花生], and chopped pre-soaked “Muk Yi” [Wood ear fungus; 木耳]. Some of the soaking water for the “Far Koo/Muk Yi” was also added in. Salted lightly. Simmered for about 1 ½ hours. Seasoning adjusted.

DSCN7318a_1k.jpg

MM - So I know it's a 50-50 butter tater ratio. Do you run it through a tammis twice? I've seen him on one occasion making them but yours look super smooth.

And most of all,

Might be a stupid question but are they too buttery?

Would it be blasphemy if I were to replace the potatoes with chicken fat roasted parsnips. There is something about roasted parnsips that have that earthy, truffle flavor. Run it through the rice and tamis and give it that suspended soupy texture. The chicken fat in the parsnip talk to the yolk. Not to mention the chicken jus.

Maybe a potato and parsnip combo. Maybe like one quarter part parsnip to replace some butter (with chicken fat) and give it another level.

Edited by basquecook (log)

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

basquecook - just a thank you to keep bitter green salads in mind when having strong tasting or fattier foods - I will be sowing some greens seeds and using the young leaves from things like mustard and radish,.

MM - So I know it's a 50-50 butter tater ratio. Do you run it through a tammis twice? I've seen him on one occasion making them but yours look super smooth.

And most of all,

Might be a stupid question but are they too buttery?

Yes. I pass them twice. And I'm not sure if it is exactly 50/50. I usually just keep adding butter until I get the right texture, mouthfeel and balance of flavor. I always season them with white pepper. And I do not think they are too buttery.

Would it be blasphemy if I were to replace the potatoes with chicken fat roasted parsnips. There is something about roasted parnsips that have that earthy, truffle flavor. Run it through the rice and tamis and give it that suspended soupy texture. The chicken fat in the parsnip talk to the yolk. Not to mention the chicken jus.

Maybe a potato and parsnip combo. Maybe like one quarter part parsnip to replace some butter (with chicken fat) and give it another level.

You could do that. I've made veal cheeks with a parsnip puree and black truffles, and that was nice. But I do believe the combination of potatoes and truffles is God's way of saying he loves us all.

Edited by mm84321 (log)

Tonight I went for a beef, tomato and spinach curry

Nice. Tasty-looking. What did you use for the "curry" component?

It is basically an imported Indian curry paste from a bottle, which I pimp up with some extra coriander, fennel and cumin seeds, and chilli. I'd prefer to do it all from scratch, but I just can't get the spices here.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

It is basically an imported Indian curry paste from a bottle, which I pimp up with some extra coriander, fennel and cumin seeds, and chilli. I'd prefer to do it all from scratch, but I just can't get the spices here.

Interesting. What sort of non-Chinese/S Asian/SE Asian spices can you get in Liuzhou? You're not far from HK. Would you swing by there once in a while and get other stuff?

While it looked really lovely, it did throw me off with the Indian Beef combo though, I am sure it can be found on some Indian menus though, who cares, I am sure it was delicious.

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

What sort of non-Chinese/S Asian/SE Asian spices can you get in Liuzhou?

None.

You're not far from HK. Would you swing by there once in a while and get other stuff?

I'm 537 km from Hong Kong and it's not the easiest of routes to travel. Unless I fly, but then it a bit of an expensive trek to buy spices, although if I find my self there I might stock up. I only get there about every 5 years or so, though.

While it looked really lovely, it did throw me off with the Indian Beef combo though, I am sure it can be found on some Indian menus though, who cares, I am sure it was delicious.

I'm struggling to see what is surprising about beef curry. It is very common. Yes, even in India.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

This thread continues to be both an inspiration and quite humbling. Amazing dishes all!

Some southern staples.

Braised kale with madeira glazed mushrooms

braised greens.jpg

Shrimp and grits

Shrimp Grits.jpg

And a straight up late night guilty pleasure a BLT topped with a poached egg and hollandaise.

BLT egg.jpg

My first paella, in my new paella (cheater) pan - used a shrimp stock, and for proteins i used Spanish chorizo, a chicken thigh, shrimp, steamer clams, and mussels. finishing it off were peas, parsely and lemons. A little palmito salad on the side. The paella turned out great, for the first time. even had the prized socarrat at the bottom, which we scraped clean. will make it again, and next time i'll try it on a grill, and in the oven.

paella 0.jpg

paella 1.jpg

paella 2.jpg

paella 3.jpg

Bruce – the fettuccine with pink shrimp sauce looks and sound amazing! I really like the idea of thickening the sauce with pureed shrimp. Any chance of a recipe?

Pierogi – thank you! Those dishes make it easy to figure out when was the last time I posted!

Mr. Holloway – mussels, mussels – must do mussels SOON! Gorgeous.

Brown Hornet – your shrimp and grits looks absolutely perfect. It’s only 9:30AM and I want some NOW.

Not cooking too much these past few days – at least not for dinners. Most of my kitchen efforts have been for Christmas Eve and Christmas night, but I did make salad and spaghetti the other night:

med_gallery_3331_114_14829.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_46578.jpg

The sauce was from the freezer, though!

I'm struggling to see what is surprising about beef curry. It is very common. Yes, even in India.

Don't worry too much, I personally have found in my experience, that Indian Dishes don't often have beef in them. It is really not that big of a deal.

Dinner last night, while I was planning on making that truffle and potato dish, I got home too late to do much cooking.. A simple mussel dish, grilled pork chops, left over roasted vegetables and a cauliflower puree. Also a nice salad.

8285256521_0a7c3b43bd.jpg

8285062887_1a6e057fbd.jpg

Beautiful looking pork chops basquecook... where did you source them?

Hey thanks. I get my pork chops from a few places. Last year I purchased a whole Berkshire Pig just for my house. And am just about finished with it. I was actually at the Essex Street Market in Manhattan on Saturday and stopped by Heritage Meats. After purchasing those two steaks and the marrow bones, the girl behind the counter offered these up to me for free.

Certainly a pleasant surprise. I also have two pretty pork chops in my freezer from Fleischers in Brooklyn. I bought them last weekend but, did not have time to eat them so, they went in the freezer.

Actually it was the first time I have ever been there. I have worked with the owner before on a few different projects but, seriously speaking, the girl did not know that. I think the stars had aligned.