• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

z7TW9l.jpg

Turbot with black truffle and celery

mwjr9l.jpg

That truffle just keeps on giving doesn't it?

Wonderful dish.

I can work out the truffle bits, what are the white/clear circles? Are they finely sliced radish? Did you vaccum seal the fish with the covering and cook it sous vide as Daniel Humm does with his zucchini scaled turbot?

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

z7TW9l.jpg

Turbot with black truffle and celery

mwjr9l.jpg

That truffle just keeps on giving doesn't it?

Wonderful dish.

I can work out the truffle bits, what are the white/clear circles? Are they finely sliced radish? Did you vaccum seal the fish with the covering and cook it sous vide as Daniel Humm does with his zucchini scaled turbot?

Thanks. Those are tapioca pearls, along with celery, celery root, and truffle. That is how I did it: basically you take a fillet, make an incision on the bone side to create a pocket which you fill with a mousse made from some of the turbot trim and chopped truffle, close it up, turn it over, make the scales, then let it set in the fridge. Then, season, brush with softened butter, vacuum seal and cook sous vide. The recipe is in the EMP book, but I believe it originally comes from Joel Robuchon. It's delicious.

Tonight I finished up the last of the turbot with Heston's recipe for fish and chips. It was rather crunchy.

9HXxzl.jpg

Ak8TEl.jpg

Hainanese Chicken Rice.

• Chicken poached w/ green onions (in cavity), ginger and salt. Served w/ cucumbers, green onions, cilantro, splashed w/ light soy sauce flashed in pan w/ hot oil.

• Bowl of Napa cabbage (separately) cooked in the poaching stock.

• Rice cooked w/ the poaching stock w/ lots of chicken fat skimmed off the stock.

• Grated ginger, chopped green onions, salt & hot oil sauce.

• Hot sauce (Lingham's) w/ fresh lime juice and a bit of rice vinegar added.

DSCN7340a_1k.jpg

that looks awesome Shane... Merry christmas to you , Chris and Holloway :)

BTW I forgot to tell you how great the pulled pork was. What rub did you sprinkle on it before serving? the Carolina sauce was killer too.

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

I haven't been cooking much. I have been looking for a new Mayan calendar. My old one ran out of days. I thought the bank would send one but they just have the regular one year ones. Oh well. I guess it isn't the end of the world if I don't find a new one.

Since we had Thanksgiving at my sisters, we had no left overs. Tried to remedy that today. Roasted a very small turkey for Christmas eve dinner with guests. Also had the usual suspects: Dressing, sweet potatoes, pan sauted squash with parsnips, mushrooms and onions, etc.

DSCN0407_zps297043fb.jpg

Looks like a fine dinner, Liuzhou. Season's greetings to you.

What's the situation like (availability, cost) regarding Western-style cheeses and Western-style wines in your area?

Edited by huiray (log)

Looks like a fine dinner, Liuzhou. Season's greetings to you.

What's the situation like (availability, cost) regarding Western-style cheeses and Western-style wines in your area?

Cheese is rare apart from bog standard factory cheddar. I was surprised to find these pictured cheeses recently. I think Santa's elves must have been passing and dropped it by accident.

Foreign wines are easy. It is a huge fashion in China. But no one knows what they are buying, so a lot of bad wine is expensive and a lot of good wine is cheap. Even more is fake. Premier Chateaux sell more of each vintage every year in China than they actually make.

Fortunately, I work mainly in the wine business, so I usually get the good stuff. Usually.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• Steamed salmon (julienned ginger, olive oil, salt, black pepper, ripe lime juice)

• Steamed asparagus

• Flash-sautéed mushrooms (olive oil, sea salt, smoking hot pan)

• Salmon skin pan-fried "chip"

• Steamed white rice

DSCN7357a_1k.jpg

some pix from tonight:

136.JPG

224.JPG

229.JPG

266.JPG

Dinner menu for December 25, 2012:

BEFORE

Hot-smoked salmon

Tuna mayo dip

Olive-tomato-feta dip

Finnish rye bread

Crudités

Assorted Carr's crackers

(Domaine Chandon)

AT TABLE

Mixed fish cakes, lemon, salsa verde with avocado (Amarte Mas 2011 Albariño)

Sliced sautéed duck breast, jus (Goss McLaren Vale 2010 Shiraz)

Butter-braised leeks

Roasted Japanese sweet potato slices with merken

Wild rice/black rice/lentil/basmati rice mix

Salad, rosemary vinaigrette

Rye baguette (from Takahachi bakery in TriBeCa); Italian bread (from Aliotta bakery in Brooklyn)

Spanish figs, stuffed with Spanish chocolate, almonds and fennel seeds

Lemon meringue pie; Italian cookies (from Aliotta bakery in Brooklyn)

Coffee and tea