• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

Leftover chicken in the fridge, a couple of cups of ricotta, i made a quick ravioli with a chicken drumstick. Pasta sauce was quick san marzano, salt, sugar and thyme. The snapper roasted for 45 or 50 minutes and I had the time so, I was able to make the pasta and stuff it and cook it in 25 minutes.

8290102308_6d72f3af10.jpg

8289041869_0c2abf5e36.jpg

Quick steamed broccoli rabe, then tossed with garlic oil, anchovies, a little red pepper and parmesan.

8289859018_7b3c6496c3.jpg

3 pound red snapper roasted.

8289798864_d5af91489d.jpg

Edited by basquecook (log)

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Bruce – the fettuccine with pink shrimp sauce looks and sound amazing! I really like the idea of thickening the sauce with pureed shrimp. Any chance of a recipe?

Kim, thanks! Recipe is readily available - just Google “Marcella Hazan” and “pink shrimp sauce” and it should pop right up.

Scotty - nice! Dare I ask why "gut bomb"? :raz:

Sookha keema, Julie Sahni’s version with ground lamb, brown-fried onions, ginger, garlic, chiles, and turmeric, finished with garam masala, lemon juice, and cilantro. I made a double batch – half for the office potluck, and half for our post-swim meet meal.

Rice with whole spices, pilaf-style. No basmati in the house so we used jasmine rice, fried in ghee with cumin, bay leaves, cinnamon stick, black and green cardamom, cloves, and black pepper.

Un-pictured salad

p1342597626-4.jpg

Edited by C. sapidus (log)

Dazzling, spectacular, delicious, ------------------------- and fattening!! LOL.

Looking at all the amazing creations is like a kid in a toy store!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Playing with simple carrots.

Dcarch

Roasted duck with carats (carrots) :biggrin:

carrotdiamond_zps8f99e7e1.jpg

carrotdiamond2_zps812962d5.jpg

Shrimps with carrot hearts (cores)

shrimpscarrots_zps5aae0fad.jpg

shrimpscarrots2_zpsb74556b0.jpg

Tilapia, carrot hearts (cores) and risotto made from plain rice.

carrotheart_zps0bbcbd8c.jpg

carrotheart2_zpsc281904d.jpg

so, it's been a while, right?

so hard keeping track of all the different sites I belong to, even though I spend the vast majority of my time on Facebook these days. Twitter and Pinterest can be addictive too, and don't get me started about G+.

but I digress...

some pix from the past few weeks:

8277283176_9ef29edc30_z.jpg

Roasted carrot, pumpkin and oyster mushroom salad

8277283080_c29d94e689_z.jpg

Suvir's crispy okra salad

(I personally like my okra less 'crisped' so that there's more color and texture that remains, otherwise it's the same as what some of you have had at Amma, Devi and elsewhere)

8276225181_0dd3baab8a_z.jpg

Minestrone invernale

8282890709_c06023b458_z.jpg

Cockles, arugula, spicy scallion broth

8283949568_96f7a04322_z.jpg

Insalata di funghi

8283949678_40625fd155_z.jpg

Penne con le lenticchie (a/k/a penne with lentils)

and last night:

8291491362_d21d5aaa03_z.jpg

Sautéed mushrooms, with shallots and Cognac, served with farm egg fried in olive oil

8290434093_acca63cbc0_z.jpg

Left: Brussels sprouts, braised with garlic and red wine vinegar

Right: Broiled shrimp, with seasoned breadcrumbs and shallot "jam"

tonight, I will be attempting homemade jiaozi with a decidedly non-traditional filling.

if you see nothing from me later on, you know that the Mayan god of destruction is responsible. :wink:

dcarch, munchymom, SobaAddict70, basquecook et al - wonderful meals.

SobaAddict - besides oyster mushrooms, what other fungi were in that mushroom salad? Those cockles did look a little different from what I know (mentally) as cockles... :-)

patrick -- thanks. begin with a battuto (onion, carrot, celery, celery leaves) cooked in olive oil over low heat. how soft you like it depends on how much time you have. I like my battuto cooked down, all the way down, until the vegetables are thickened ... almost like an aromatic jam or paste. low and slow is the way to go. this will take about an hour, but if you're short on time, then that's okay too. then add a couple of bay leaves, chopped fresh oregano, sea salt and black pepper, and cooked lentils. you can use lentils that were cooked with onion, celery and carrot (from scratch) -- and if I make them that way, sometimes I'll throw in a couple of bottles of Evian. other times I'll just use plain tap water. in this specific instance, I used canned lentils. then add some crushed San Marzano tomatoes and water. bring to a boil, then lower the heat to medium-low and cover. let that cook for an hour or until the sauce has thickened slightly. taste for salt and pepper once more, then serve over pasta. a little extra-virgin olive oil, Italian parsley and pecorino cheese does wonders.

huiray -- thanks. the other mushrooms you see in the salad are sliced white button mushrooms, the kind that you get in most standard American supermarkets.

dinner prep is currently in progress.

1: fried olives

2: homemade jiaozi with brussels sprouts, Cantonese roast duck and serrano pepper

3: probably fresh fruit.

I'm making dessert for my birthday party next week tomorrow night. there might be some leftovers ... as for what it is, stay tuned... :wink: it'll be one of the few times this year that I'm cooking for more than one person.

Soba, I'm definitely trying that, thanks. [edit: very rare to see a recipe call for fresh oregano. I actually grew it one summer and used it in salads and so forth - not so much for cooking.]

huiray, the meat is pork rib. Good ID on the tung choy (not that I'm surprised from your other posts). The only other ingredients were ground white pepper, salt and slivers of ginger. I agree that it got too thick - I wasn't very mindful while trying to maintain a simmer and accidentally cooked it too fast in the middle section. I used jasmine rice per Dunlop - next time may take your recommendation to try basmati.

Edited by patrickamory (log)

Pix from tonight:

8293661192_0e7a7252cd_z.jpg

Fried olives, baby mesclun

You need: pitted olives, 1 beaten egg, seasoned breadcrumbs (breadcrumbs, sea salt, black pepper) and olive oil. Dip the olives in the egg, coat in breadcrumbs, then fry in olive oil until golden brown.

This is doable in 10 minutes. The portion you see above is sized for one person.

8293661316_26ffd00700_z.jpg

Jiaozi filling

This is 1/2 cup thinly sliced brussels sprouts that was cooked in olive oil over medium heat, to which was added 1 minced serrano pepper, 1/4 cup shredded Cantonese roast duck (from a local Chinese takeout place), a pinch of white pepper and a scant pinch of sea salt. I had some leftover duck and wanted to use it in something other than fried rice, so I took a page from one of bleudauvergne's eG Foodblogs and the rest is history.

For 2013, I think I'll be teaching myself how to cook Chinese, since I really don't know anything of that genre.

Speaking of the eG Foodblog, maybe it's time to volunteer again.... :wink:

8293661528_38bb56285e_z.jpg

Homemade jiaozi, with brussels sprouts, Cantonese roast duck and serrano pepper

The ramekin at right contains minced garlic, Chinese black vinegar and mushroom soy sauce.

What did Soba learn? He could have rolled out the dough thinner. He ran out of filling and so, has leftover dough in the freezer. One dumpling wasn't sealed tightly enough; otherwise 11 made it through. Overall, a success for a first attempt.

What did Soba learn? He could have rolled out the dough thinner. He ran out of filling and so, has leftover dough in the freezer. One dumpling wasn't sealed tightly enough; otherwise 11 made it through. Overall, a success for a first attempt.

Yes, the jiaozi skins look a bit too thick and you need to work on your folding skills, but they are a hell of a lot better than my first effort. Those were a total embarrassing disaster. 20 years down the line, I've finally cracked the technique, I think.

Your filling is a bit non-standard (Never seen Brussels sprouts in China. Sadly. I love 'em.), but why not? Sounds good to me.

I look forward to your 2013 Chinese cuisine project, but I promise you that you won't get through it in 2013. There is no one Chinese cuisine - there are hundreds!

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

well, I've eaten plenty of jiaozi but I usually don't cook with pork at home. I had brussels sprouts and duck on hand so I wanted to do something different and maybe teach myself something new in the process.

I want to start exploring Asian cuisine, so I thought I'd start with basic Chinese. especially since my family is ethnic Chinese and I'm ignorant of my heritage. have to do some research though first as to which region.

well, I've eaten plenty of jiaozi but I usually don't cook with pork at home. I had brussels sprouts and duck on hand so I wanted to do something different and maybe teach myself something new in the process.

I want to start exploring Asian cuisine, so I thought I'd start with basic Chinese. especially since my family is ethnic Chinese and I'm ignorant of my heritage. have to do some research though first as to which region.

I wasn't criticising negatively. Quite the opposite. I'd sell my grandmother for some duck and brussels sprout jiaozi, right now.

I look forward to the results of your research. Which region do your origins lie in? (If you want to share).

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto