• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

swimming around in the tank just a few hours prior to dinner before it got fished out and bashed on the head

I bought mine live and bashed its head myself at home but decided not to post those pictures here. There are sensitive souls around who prefer to think that fish are born filleted in plastic bags.

I like my fish fresh!

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

So, I have a question

I only rely on the oven for warming plates @175, but in the one occasion I had to use it to cook something.

I threw the plates in shortened stacks, heated them up, wrapped loosly in foil and dropped them in the cooler I bring with me. It keeps them warm until I need them.

So, I have a question: when you cook at people's homes, what is your usual method for keeping plates warm? Last time I just used the her oven, which worked alright, but for one course I had to stack 2 sets of five dinner plates, and they did not warm evenly, so I had some which were warm, some which were tepid, and some which were still cold. So, I had to put some back in while I plated on the warm ones. Anyway, I am cooking for 12 next month, and one dish I am preparing requires the oven for cooking, so I will not be able to utilize the oven for this purpose. Any tips?

You can also warm plates in the microwave. Just wet them and shake so there's a film of water, zap for a minute or two, then wipe off if there's any excess water.

So, I have a question: when you cook at people's homes, what is your usual method for keeping plates warm? Last time I just used the her oven, which worked alright, but for one course I had to stack 2 sets of five dinner plates, and they did not warm evenly, so I had some which were warm, some which were tepid, and some which were still cold. So, I had to put some back in while I plated on the warm ones. Anyway, I am cooking for 12 next month, and one dish I am preparing requires the oven for cooking, so I will not be able to utilize the oven for this purpose. Any tips?

You can also warm plates in the microwave. Just wet them and shake so there's a film of water, zap for a minute or two, then wipe off if there's any excess water.

I also fill my sink with hot water and sit the plates in it. Take them out, dry them, and plate. Like in sous vide cooking, the water is a fast transmitter of heat so this takes minimal time.

Yar. ive been using the Micro to warm plates as above, works well!

I'll try it. Thanks!

Dinner with friends the other night

Bone marrow roasted with this sour cherry jelly sauce

8275963197_bc323a99b4.jpg

8277177722_c85dbec816.jpg

Escarole and smoked eel salad. a little green apple.

8276139623_a3da4e3501.jpg

Steaks

8275963509_6b77f7b41a.jpg

8275964339_8e22f00e40.jpg

Roasted green cauliflower and Creamed spinach:

8277084834_d56970daa6.jpg

Chocolate lava cake:

8277023944_ed859b7058.jpg

Edited by basquecook (log)

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Steamed bass (both of them), bone marrow, burgers, steaks, all look superb.

Good source for marrowbones in NYC: Ottomanelli (the one on Bleecker St. in the Village, not the unaffiliated place of the same name uptown).

Recipe for chicken bhuna - adapted from Neelam Batra, 1000 Indian Recipes. I'm travelling right now, shall post it when I get home. It's interesting and worth trying - miles away from the bland bhuna you have in restaurants.

Steamed bass (both of them), bone marrow, burgers, steaks, all look superb.

Good source for marrowbones in NYC: Ottomanelli (the one on Bleecker St. in the Village, not the unaffiliated place of the same name uptown).

Recipe for chicken bhuna - adapted from Neelam Batra, 1000 Indian Recipes. I'm travelling right now, shall post it when I get home. It's interesting and worth trying - miles away from the bland bhuna you have in restaurants.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

I'll try it. Thanks!

Alton Brown uses an electric heating pad.

Simple dinner tonight.. two mackerels for like 6 dollars. Broiled, topped with onions cooked in a agridolce type deal. Mustard green salad, toasted hazelnuts and smoked eel.

Photo prior to saucing.

8279769386_d9ddfa9310.jpg

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

East-West Buffalo wings – marinated, grilled on the Egg, and tossed with a sauce of Sriracha, ginger, garlic, scallions, lime juice, and butter

Gorgonzola sauce – Gorgonzola cheese pressed through a strainer and mixed with mayo, sour cream, minced onion, and pepper

Celery sticks, eternal cucumbers, and Clementines

p1336439616-4.jpg

that is really pretty.. can you go into detail about this.

Thanks. It's mashed potatoes, made in the classic Robuchon fashion, a little pool of chopped truffles, a cordon of chicken jus, and then a raw egg yolk in the center, seasoned with fleur de sel, and a good bit of olive oil. It's absolutely delicious. In my opinion, one of the best ways to enjoy black truffle.

Really nice. I have these three containers of truffles sitting in my pantry. Samples from work. One is 2.5 ounces of urbani of carpaccio di truffe, one is 1.4 ounces of sabatino summer whole black, the other is an urbani summer black whole. I know it's no fresh but. Life goes on. I have the chicken jus in cubes in the freezer. Sounds like tomorrow's dinner.

Potatoes are Yukon?

Really nice. I have these three containers of truffles sitting in my pantry. Samples from work. One is 2.5 ounces of urbani of carpaccio do truffe, one is 1.4 ounces of sabatino summer whole black, the other is an urbani summer black whole. I know it's no fresh but. Life goes on. I have the chicken jus in cubes in the freezer. Sounds like tomorrow's dinner.

Potatoes are Yukon?

La Ratte fingerlings. Makes the best.

Scotty – Thanks!

Bruce, you often list eternal cucumbers. What are they?

Patrick – A joke from my foodblog. Cucumbers were about the only vegetable our boys would eat when they were younger, so we served them with every meal. Priscilla (originator of the Dinner! thread) dubbed them eternal.

Fortunately, the boys’ taste in vegetables has expanded.

basquecook – I now have a hankering for mussels.

Cod with chiles and garlic, slivered ginger, red onion, S&P, soy sauce, black soy sauce, and rice vinegar. Cod tends to flake to pieces in this dish, but the price was right.

Braised cabbage with dried shrimp, plus garlic, S&P, a little sugar, and the water from soaking the shrimp.

Celebration yellow rice, with coconut milk, turmeric, salt, and lime leaves.

p1338337900-4.jpg