• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

Naw my fish guy had a frozen box of 7 big ones he gave me for $25 so I could mess around. The outer skin of the tail wasn't very firm, a little mealy. Was just interested in ways I could cook um.

Shipped live would be the nail in the coffin for food cost in one of my dinners...I wish though

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

Naw my fish guy had a frozen box of 7 big ones he gave me for $25 so I could mess around. The outer skin of the tail wasn't very firm, a little mealy. Was just interested in ways I could cook um.

Shipped live would be the nail in the coffin for food cost in one of my dinners...I wish though

Frozen are still good. They just dip them in chemical to prevent them from going black, which can give an off taste. I had never cooked live ones until last week. Definitely sweeter, and a much firmer texture than frozen, I thought. But yes, expensive.

Kim – Caramel sauce is good stuff. You can control how sweet by how dark you make the caramel. Nice looking grilled chicken!

Liuzhou – Looks like many of our meals, and sounds quite satisfying.

Fettucine with pink shrimp sauce – Garlic, tomato paste, and white wine, reduced. Shrimp was cooked in the sauce, and then most of the shrimp were pureed in the blender and added back to thicken the sauce. Finished with cream, S&P, and parsley. Our usual camera-shy salad.

p1329057916-4.jpg

Well...I call it kraut but it wasn't fermented. I just sweated onions in butter/salt then added a little water and reduced a couple times until they were soft enough, blanched some brussel sprout leaves, added champagne vinegar to the onions, threw in the sprouts for the final boil down and called it sauerkraut.

My eGullet Foodblog

And that pastrami is insane! I had made it before just for sandwiches but you re-therm and hunk of it and sear the spice sides and holy mother! I should have taken a money shot of the fork melting through it. I've found my favorite cut is a bavette.

My eGullet Foodblog

Also called a sirloin cap or flap. You know those butchers and their wording :wacko:

It's not too tough so I only do a 24 hour bath for pastrami instead of the 72 in MC. When I'm cooking it normal I only go 12 hours. A delicious and affordable cut at $4.25/lb with minimal trimming from my meat guys.

My eGullet Foodblog

i'm brand new here, transplant from CH. go easy on me! i am loving all the wonderful dinners.

last night, the BF took our leftover pork shoulder roast (which I'd cooked for 5 hours at 250 degrees the day before) and made a kind of Chinese BBQ sauce for it, glazed the pork, then broiled it for a bit to caramelize. Alongside he made pahjeong. We've been playing around with pancakes - i made an okonomiyaki a couple weeks ago.

pork with hoisin.jpg

pajeon.jpg

Hi everyone! It's been awhile, but I've been lurking, :)

Pizza last night-

Grande mozz, roasted cauliflower, pancetta, pinenuts and pickled hot cherry peppers. Finished w EVO and black plepper. Was pretty tasty. The cherry peppers gave a little vinegary spicy kick to cut through the otherwise rich flavors.

image.jpg

ETA: pic

Edited by jvalentino (log)