• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

Chicken and turkey soup. Started with chicken feet, turkey wings, thyme, a half a bottle of white and some vegetables. Made a huge pot. Tossed in 4 lbs of chicken backs a few hours in. Took out enough drained stock after 7 hours for a few bowls. Cooked some raw chicken drumsicks and some onion, celery and carrots to be put in the bowls. Tajarin noodles cooked separately. Tossed in at the end.

It was really nice. Asparagus was selling for 1.50 a bunch. Tossed some runny eggs and parm on top. Kale salad

8219358514_6778fc2862.jpg

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Brewed tea, added a ton of sugar to make it like a Southern Sweet Tea. Added salt and pepper and soaked the chicken over night. Fried the chicken at 320. I find this to be the best temp to fry chicken. The inside is allowed to cook while the outside does not burn.

8183737418_789d747b75.jpg

8183739600_a41e7a892b.jpg

8183742238_2862d04c6f.jpg

Edited by basquecook (log)

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

First night cooking probably since november, due to miserable schedule the last ten days. Here's my first ever attempt at kuku sabzi, a Persian herb frittata that's apparently what Persian moms make on a busy night. Came out pretty good, if a bit browned, and some delicious and very pretty purple new potatoes roasted with garlic and rosemary and olive oil

525868_844243392681_682484827_n.jpg

523713_844243981501_2134081767_n.jpg

Edited by Hassouni (log)

You sure as hell get the plating spot on. I wish I could taste some of those dishes they look ridiculous. Could you maybe use the reference if you follow a book? Some of these I'd like to mess around with myself.

Yeah, I'm happy to share the recipes. If there is any one in particular, just let me know.

mm84321 is that bird a snipe? and are those truffle slices in the artichoke soup?

dcarch those little meatballs are to die for.

basquecook, i like the look of that chicken and turkey soup. was the steak a kansas city strip?

kim, thank you! the goat chops were cooked just like lamb chops - salted and about 8 minutes under the broiler. leg or other parts need long, slow cooking so I'm told.

Hassouni you made kuku sabzi! but the photo isn't showing up.

Been trying to remember to take pictures when I make test dishes.

A little love for Modernist Cuisine,

Seared short rib pastrami, brussel sprout sauerkraut, mustard, toasted rye

12242_10151577338569908_2068587324_n.jpg

Langoustine, zatar spiced lentils, lobster and uni butter sauce

556960_10151577420139908_28849993_n.jpg

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

This is probably the least visually appealing dinner you will see for a while, but I got home very late after a deeply unpleasant journey and was exhausted, so I threw together a very quick pork, black bean, chilli, mushroom stir fry.

You know, it tasted better than anything I have eaten all week - even if I do say so myself.

Of course, extreme hunger is the finest garnish.

IMG_2169.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Bruce – I’ve gotta try that caramel sauce thing. I am a fool for sweet/savoury combinations and Mr. Kim adores ginger, so that is right up our alley!

Basquecook – gorgeous burgers! And that fried chicken! Makes me wish I’d used the chicken last night for frying rather than grilling! I love sweet tea brine!

Dinner last night:

med_gallery_3331_114_13415.jpg

Grilled chicken, green beans, soup beans and hushpuppies.

Thanks all for your comments. The steak was a Ribeye, it looks like a Strip but, it was a ribeye. It looks like it rounded out a bite more with cooking. Thanks again. So many langoustines! Do you live in Scotland or something or are you cooking these 12 dollar a piece guys for dinner on a nightly basis.

I had one at Mugaritz and was interested in cooking them. I live it California so I got some from Denmark. Yeah pretty expensive but I got to mess around for a couple dishes. I'll enjoy them next time when I'm in their natural region.

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog