• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

Patrick – How do goat chops compare with lamb or pork?

Robirdstx – What’s in your Country Captain?

First time making wings on the Big Green Egg. I torched the marinade, unfortunately, but surprisingly the chicken stayed moist. Ah well, I have more wings scheduled for later this week and should get better with practice. There are worse fates than practicing on chicken wings.

Star anise wings, marinated with soy sauce, sweet soy sauce, Shaoxing wine, sugar, pepper, star anise, and cinnamon. Great flavor, despite poor fire control.

Grilled okra and yard-long beans, brushed with sesame oil and sprinkled with S&P. Not bad. Store-bought bread and butter.

p1321976526-4.jpg

Robirdstx – What’s in your Country Captain?

Hi Bruce. Today's variation was made with bone-in, skin on chicken thighs, bacon fat, chopped onion, garlic, and celery, roasted red bell pepper, canned whole tomatoes with their juice, orange juice, curry powder, cumin seeds, dried thyme, and cayenne.

ETA: roasted red bell pepper

Edited by robirdstx (log)

It took me a while to go thru all the posts since I last posted. Toooo many amazing creative delicious dishes for me comment.

------------------------------------------------------

A few recent kitchen concoctions.

dcarch

Sous Vide Pork Tenderloin on Giant Asparagus

thinkasparagus_zpscffa51c2.jpg

thinkasparagus2_zps412bcf9c.jpg

thinkasparagus4_zpse4c02f2f.jpg

Sous Vide Beef Tenderloin

beeftenderloinsalt_zpsfa75d6f8.jpg

beeftenderloinsalt2_zps6f03ee90.jpg

Fried Plantain

plantain_zps2154e084.jpg

Grilled Meatballs, Asparagus Stems and Beet Stems

meatballaspargus_zpsf6002848.jpg

Meatballaspargus2_zpscf3daaea.jpg

Patrick – gorgeous chili. We always make it with ground and I’ve been wanting to try it like yours. And I am dying to try goat. We are getting a new shop near us – Indian/Asian/Hispanic/Halal – how’s THAT? I’m sure that they’ll sell goat and hope that they sell smaller cuts than the whole leg the other shops sell. Any hints?

Bruce – that’s exactly how I like my wings to look. I just love that crusty burn flavor – I ask for my hot dogs BLACK.

dcarch – gorgeous FAT asparagus! Are those grilled/roasted??

Football snack yesterday:

med_gallery_3331_114_63371.jpg

Bought low-fat cheese by mistake – it doesn’t melt in the microwave, it just gets chewy. Ick.

Dinner was fried shrimp, succotash, slaw, sweet potatoes and hushpuppies (almost alliterative):

med_gallery_3331_114_49509.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_189496.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_12833.jpg

The hushpuppies were frozen, but good. I don’t usually put that thick a coating on shrimp, but had some panko that I wanted to use up. They were medium shrimp (another thing bought by accident – I usually get the jumbo) and were a little lost in all that crunch!

Thank you Rotuts. The meatballs were made with regular meatball recipes. I used an ice cream scoop to keep the size uniform. They were first steamed so that the shape got firmed up then there were quick grilled on a smoking hot cast iron griddle.

Thank you Kim. The asparagus were so thick. It would be diffeicult to roast without drying them out. So I steam cooked them first and then roasted on very high heat.

I like batter fried shrimps. Your shrimps look perfect.

dcarch

Kim, you are very kind.

Patrick and Robirdstx, thanks for the info.

dcarch and mm – up to your usual high standard!

Quick meal from Into the Vietnamese Kitchen after younger son’s first swim meet of the season. Jasmine rice to sop up the sauce. Mrs. C made salad.

Chicken and ginger simmered in caramel sauce

p1324862264-4.jpg

mm8 - Clearly you have some serious skills. Are you currently employed (how do you find the time for all those involved dishes otherwise?!) in the restaurant biz?

Thanks. I've never worked in the restaurant business. I'm currently unemployed, but I guess "self-empoyed" sounds nicer. I cook for private parties on occasion, but I don't really do any advertising. Following recipes helps me get better, so instead of going to school, or staging somewhere, I do this.

Well mm84321, if you were a private chef I would employ you to cater for my next party, instead of subjecting them to the vagaries of my inconsistent cooking! I am guessing you are in the UK? You really should update your profile. I know i'm not the only one who lives vicariously by your food. Tonight I am making a humble pork roast. While eating it I will fantasize I am eating one of your dinners instead.

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

Ha. I'm in the USA. But, thanks. I don't like to take too much credit. I'm inspired by the products, and they are the reason I continue to do what I do. If any of my food looks or tastes good it is 80% because of the quality of the ingredients I work with, not anything that I've done to them.

mm8 - Clearly you have some serious skills. Are you currently employed (how do you find the time for all those involved dishes otherwise?!) in the restaurant biz?

Thanks. I've never worked in the restaurant business. I'm currently unemployed, but I guess "self-empoyed" sounds nicer. I cook for private parties on occasion, but I don't really do any advertising. Following recipes helps me get better, so instead of going to school, or staging somewhere, I do this.

Well, you have done an admirable job in your self education. Where in the world are you located? While I am fairly competent in the kitchen, my time limitations prevent me from spending the time that one must invest on those intricate meals (not by lack of desire) and thus I would employ your services in a heartbeat, however; based on the produce you are showing, I have a feeling the local will not make that feasible...

Edit - Scotty, how do you know he/she is learning early, and not late? :)

Edited by sadistick (log)

Daughter was home for belated birthday supper and TLC from Momma and Pops. Her requests:

Chinese fajita? Took lots of short cuts and done in the wok prior to placing on sizzling hot plate. Sides were loads of guac, shredded lettuce, etc I made both chicken - for her, and beef for the guys. Everything was devoured.

beef fajita 8247.jpg

chicken fajita 8254.jpg

and DQ ice-cream cake! Finally, we are able to get this cake in the winter. In previous years, once the drive in closed in Oct...she'd whine. Now we have a DQ in the mall.

bday cake 8298.jpg

Before she went back to the city, a little comfort food, please, Momma!

Beef and Tomato per Popo's style! Eaten with copious amounts of steamed rice and some to take home.

Fried beef and tomato with egg 8335.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

While waiting at the doctor's office, I saw a recipe for Carrot Frites. Copied it down and tried my hand at them, along with roast chicken (from Safeway on the way home), roast cauliflower, boiled carrots, brocoslaw. They are definitely do again!

2 chicken enbemble 8342.jpg

The carrot frites:

carrot frites 8338.jpg

For snacking: Bird Seed Bar with mango-flavoured dried cranberries

Bird Seed bar 8232.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com