• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

Lovely, lovely food everyone! I’m off to decorate my daughter’s Christmas tree tonight – takeout pizza and leftover chocolate fondue – NOT what I want now – thanks :wink: ! And to those who shy away from posting pictures of your food: if I can post night after night of similar salads and chili dogs and purchased BBQ and still be loved and admired ( :raz: ), you can, too!

Thanks for all the nice comments when I posted last – way back in the middle of November! I have cooked since then, but not much – holiday preparations and trips to NC are kicking my butt!

Some recent cooking - BBQ from Short Sugar’s in Reidsville NC and salad:

med_gallery_3331_114_98833.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_140532.jpg

Tree decorating meal:

med_gallery_3331_114_151842.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_155882.jpg

Salad, rib eyes with béarnaise and cheese stuffed potatoes. The potatoes were from a gift box from Omaha Steaks and were about what we expected – dry, not very flavorful and a bit hard on the bottom. Mr. Kim’s family has done beef fondue on tree decorating night for years and we’ve taken up the tradition, but decided on the easier option of steak this year. Mr. Kim is deep in budget season for the state and we never know when he’ll be in meetings until late. So we planned this evening, but knew we might have to postpone. We stuck with the traditional dessert – chocolate fondue – for the 2nd night, though.

Tree decorating – second night. Jessica made grilled Cheddar, gruyere and Dijon sandwiches (her specialty):

med_gallery_3331_114_88551.jpg

The BEST grilled cheese! I made Quick Tomato Consommé:

med_gallery_3331_114_105371.jpg

Dessert was the already mentioned chocolate fondue (no picture – it’s melted chocolate). Dippers included cherries, coconut macaroons, bananas, marshmallows, pound cake and dried fruit:

med_gallery_3331_114_113309.jpg

A lone meal for me (late meeting for Mr. Kim):

med_gallery_3331_114_9099.jpg

Cheeseburger, succotash and onion rings

I agree with FrogPrincesse, I don't usually like deep-dish pizza but that looks incredible. Cast iron pan inside the Big Green Egg - amazing. And FP, your bourbon sausages look delicious, as does the Hazan bolognese, a favorite of ours. Did you make the recipe straight, or did you change anything? We've experimented with different meats, pork and lamb for example in addition to beef, as well as cream versus milk, extra-long low-temp simmer, nutmeg/no nutmeg etc.

MikeHartnett, that Burmese dish looks incredible! Coconut milk and lime is such a great combination.

These are live Scottish langoustine.

w7OKPl.jpg

"Makis de langoustine": Basically, chopped langoustine mixed with fresh coriander and ginger, wrapped in cabbage and steamed. A bouillon is made from the claws, infused with orange peel, ginger and lemongrass.

i91VGl.jpg

Each roll is topped with a cube of foie gras, made by mixing foie gras with chicken stock and adding some gelatin. They melt and enrich the bouillon as it is poured over.

TWQHfl.jpg

Cannelloni of langoustine: tails are wrapped in cooked linguini, which is spread with a farce made from the tails of two langoustine, egg white and cream.

ZHEtTl.jpg

They are wrapped in plastic and steamed for 8 minutes.

w9tTJl.jpg

Served with a shellfish nage and black truffles

irVtTl.jpg

And finally, a classic Robuchon recipe. Ravioli of langoustine with sauce foie gras and black truffles.

5BmKrl.jpg

I agree with FrogPrincesse, I don't usually like deep-dish pizza but that looks incredible. Cast iron pan inside the Big Green Egg - amazing. And FP, your bourbon sausages look delicious, as does the Hazan bolognese, a favorite of ours. Did you make the recipe straight, or did you change anything? We've experimented with different meats, pork and lamb for example in addition to beef, as well as cream versus milk, extra-long low-temp simmer, nutmeg/no nutmeg etc.

Thanks for the nice comments Patrick! This was the "Variation of Ragu with Pork" from Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking, which is the version with 1 part pork to 2 parts beef. I followed it pretty much as is and we loved it!

mm84321, I have no words for your langoustines, foie & truffle day...

I had an anchovies day...

First, a trial of 3 of the best brands of canned anchovies around here:

degustacion-anchoas_P.JPG

Then, roasted broccoli with anchovies, parmesan, fish sauce & lime juice:

brecol-anchoas-salsa-pescado-parmesano_P.JPG

And a couple of soup-based dishes:

75ºC/16 min. egg, brined & sous-vided chicken breasts (56ºC), steamed green asparragus, and a base of mushroom jus (the jus from Modernist Cuisine at Home):

jugo-champinon-huevo75C-pechugas-sv-esparragos_P.JPG

Sea bass, bed of mussels and king prawns, mussels & coriander seeds soup (the soup from The Complete Robuchon), all the elements seasoned with coriander seeds:

lubina-langostinos-sopa-mejillones-al-cilantro_P.JPG

Wow!

My travels and work have kept me away from this thread for too long and I have a lot of catching up to do.

I too love the combination of "weekday" meals and "weekend" meals posted on this thread and in this spirit I give you...

Wednesday's meal...

Angus BBQ Burger w/sweet potato fries (local a local restaurant)

IMG_2292.JPG

IMG_2297.JPG

Friday's meal...

Lobster Thermidor

IMG_2313.JPG

and

Surf 'n Turf - Beef Wellington, Lobster Tail, Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Lobster Mashed Potatoes

IMG_2312.JPG

Cross section of the Wellington

IMG_2316.JPG

apologies for the blurry pictures.

Awwwe Ranz.....a little heart :wub:

I wanna see the inside money shot!

Excuse the plating, everyone was ravenous :smile:

20121208_190845-2.jpg

looks delicious, except of course for the fatal flaw of the bell peppers ... :huh:

One man's poison and all that :laugh: I love them, use them regularly, just wish they weren't so expensive here..

Edited by Ranz (log)

This is so simple and delicious. Nice finger food for parties.

Season langoustine tails with sea salt and piment d'espelette. Place a leaf of basil over each, and wrap in a quarter sheet of brik dough.

Jyxbbl.jpg

Stick a toothpick through at an angle to secure.

XSs4Ql.jpg

Prepare a pesto from 1 cup packed basil leaves, olive oil and a clove of garlic. Fry the tails at 350ºF until very lightly golden (~30 seconds). Serve with pesto.

a3Uvtl.jpg

This is so simple and delicious. Nice finger food for parties.

Season langoustine tails with sea salt and piment d'espelette. Place a leaf of basil over each, and wrap in a quarter sheet of brik dough.

Jyxbbl.jpg

Stick a toothpick through at an angle to secure.

XSs4Ql.jpg

Prepare a pesto from 1 cup packed basil leaves, olive oil and a clove of garlic. Fry the tails at 350ºF until very lightly golden (~30 seconds). Serve with pesto.

a3Uvtl.jpg

Beautiful presentation