• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

chaing mai 003.JPGnoodles 001.JPG Tonight I made a botched version of Chaing Mai noodle curry .After getting it in my head that I had to have it this evening I started out to roast the spices only to find I was missing some and my grinder was at another spot ,with said spices.So I mixed half fresh spice with some red curry paste,added zucchini, carrot cubes and red bell pepper because I wanted a one pot dinner.Made fried onions, pepper oil and fried noodles to top it off. It was not as good as the Thai restaurant , but it was delicious. I also tried my hand at hand pulled noodles and I'm not too proud to show you the mess.Thick and chewy, I have a lot of work to do in that department for sure Ha! But the sauce covered all my mistakes.noodles 001.JPG

For what it's worth, I do not consider this to be any sort of competition. I simply enjoy to share my pictures with those who can appreciate them. I hope everyone that wants to share their photos does, and please do not let me stop you from doing so.

Anyway, finished the truffle today.

Pumpkin soup, egg and white truffle

LmJEml.jpg

Scallops with cabbage, foie gras and brioche

01Ybbl.jpg

Tortellini with fontina, chestnuts, and white truffle

LkTbml.jpg

Edited by mm84321 (log)

Some of Ruhlman's garlic sausage paired with Chang's roasted Brussels-sprouts and fish-sauce vinaigrette. Home-made coarse mustard. Damn I feel garlicky tonight.

Sausage done SV and hit with the heatgun to add a bit of color. Works well albeit a bit messy.

20121130_200502.jpg

Gonna have to spray the stove off in the AM!

Breaded pork chops coated with panko seasoned with Italian herbs, chili pepper flakes, garlic granules. Chops were browned in the pan then finished off in the oven. Made a simple mushroom gravy to go on top. Sides were canned corn, freezer tater wedges, and broccoslaw jazzed up with sunflower seeds, dried mango flavoured cranberries, dried blueberries, and flaked coconut. Dressing was Kraft Mango Chipotle...Satisfying on a cold damp evening with freezing rain falling...

Italian chops 8210.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Everyone's food looks good, as usual. I personally love the variation between "high art" and every day meals I see here. I'm a total glutton AND a bit of stickybeak, so seeing what other people eat is always fascinating - so I say post away! There's room here for us all.

I found an awesome kimchi shop today that had all different kinds, so dinner is a "kimchi sampler", if you will - or, as my less-kimchi-loving BF called it "a little plate of horror". Left to right, we have clam, squid, garlic shoot and then baby octopus kimchi.

With steamed pork belly, soybean paste and lettuce on the side, this be bossam.

IMG_4821.jpg

I've been absent here, largely due to a metric f***ton of work. Consequently, most of my meals have been of the hasty, lazy sort that I'm always ashamed to show, because they tend to be wholly undinnerlike things like "a can of tuna and some chochos" or "cold pizza". Here's the best of them, made on nights when the ethic was "oh screw it, I want some real food."

Chicken stew with quinua dumplings

Dumplins.jpg

Some sort of beef thing with tomato noodles

RedNoodles.jpg

Tilapia baked in mushroom cream sauce.

TilapShrooms.jpg

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Why do I make so few posts in this thread these days? Simple ... because there is the risk that after I make my post, someone like mm84321, dcarch, sobaaddict, Franci, etc will come along and completely put me to shame.

Do I want my food:

original.jpg

to be compared to this?

0XzkWl.jpg

I really feel like such a hack sometimes.

Don't feel like that! I know what you mean, though. I LOVE seeing all the different types of meals that people contribute....and I love seeing the dishes and serve ware, too! I think your burgers look to die for.

because there is the risk that after I make my post, someone ... will come along and completely put me to shame.

Nonsense!

Yours looks better to me!

Exactly.

Art used to be, very long time ago, one single style. If you did't create the same way, then you didn't have art.

Have you been to an art museum nowadays? There is no such thing anymore.

On the walls, you have keith haring, Andy Warhol, Norman Rockwell, Grandma Moses, Henri Matisse, Picasso, Rembrandt, Josef Albers --------.

I see art in all posts here by everyone. Different styles, but art just the same.

dcarch

Well said, D!

Tonight was laziness.

A simple pork chop, boiled potatoes and some fried leek and mushrooms.

Porkchop.jpg

But it hit the spot.

Doesn't look lazy to me and I LOVE that plate. It's such a great shape!

Grilled pork chops are our standby for uncomplicated meals. I use the Julia Child spice marinade - they just need an hour, and then a quick saute at 5 minutes a side, pan deglazed with vermouth. The key is to get them out when they're only just pink near the bone - 135F say.

I LOVE that plate. It's such a great shape!

Yes. I love that plate too.

I have a full set of them. My tear drop plates. And I have a whole range of their other designs which I found in a very run-of-the-mill supermarket here in downtown China. In a shop which doesn't really do plates. China doesn't really do plates. Rice bowls a-plenty.

But I take the view that if the food doesn't look that great, you might be distracted by the plate.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Everyone's food looks good, as usual. I personally love the variation between "high art" and every day meals I see here. I'm a total glutton AND a bit of stickybeak, so seeing what other people eat is always fascinating - so I say post away! There's room here for us all.

Yes, totally agree!

Yesterday I made some chard/duck gozleme for my son (also tonight)

gozlemeanatra.jpg

And we had a pave of oxtail with some caramelized endives and polenta taragna sticks. It's not Heston's recipe and I have a sense that his recipe would be better. I think I didn't balance right the wine/stock, too acidic and my husband didn't like it.

meatoxtailpaveplate.jpg

Tonight we had sweetbreads...Sweeeeeet!

meatsweetbread.jpg

This was our dinner tonight.

Salmon en croute, with quenells of the spinach mixture, hollandaise and braised veggies.

It was really good :)

photo(37).JPG

Peter: You're a spy

Harry: I'm not a spy, I'm a shepherd

Peter: Ah! You're a shepherd's pie!

- The Goons

live well, laugh often, love much