• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

For reasons I am trying to forget, I found myself in possession of a rice cooker full of last night's rice which didn't get eaten, so I went for the fried rice experience.

Leeks, garlic, mushrooms, chilli, egg, dried shrimp, Chinese chives.

FriedRiceIngredients.jpg

Not pictured

Squid and rice. White stuff on white plates doesn't make for good pictures.

End result:

SquidFriedRice.jpg

SquidFriedRice2.jpg

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

8229538966_33b2a2ed19_z.jpg

Brussels sprouts "home fries"

Kind of like a low-carb version of home fries, only with brussels sprouts and chestnuts, fried in salted butter and topped with chopped hard-cooked egg.

The other thing I had -- bhindi masala, rice, coconut raita -- wasn't as photogenic. Very satisfying though; I need to cook Indian more often.

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

a google search reveals that a spring planting instead of a fall planting will probably produce these.

I don't think it is that easy. I'm fairly sure they are a different strain of garlic. They don't only not split into cloves. They taste different (milder) than regular garlic, have a different texture and are very easy to peel.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Why do I make so few posts in this thread these days? Simple ... because there is the risk that after I make my post, someone like mm84321, dcarch, sobaaddict, Franci, etc will come along and completely put me to shame.

Do I want my food:

original.jpg

to be compared to this?

0XzkWl.jpg

I really feel like such a hack sometimes.

Edited by Keith_W (log)
There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

because there is the risk that after I make my post, someone ... will come along and completely put me to shame.

Nonsense!

Yours looks better to me!

Exactly.

Art used to be, very long time ago, one single style. If you did't create the same way, then you didn't have art.

Have you been to an art museum nowadays? There is no such thing anymore.

On the walls, you have keith haring, Andy Warhol, Norman Rockwell, Grandma Moses, Henri Matisse, Picasso, Rembrandt, Josef Albers --------.

I see art in all posts here by everyone. Different styles, but art just the same.

dcarch

Why do I make so few posts in this thread these days? Simple ... because there is the risk that after I make my post, someone like mm84321, dcarch, sobaaddict, Franci, etc will come along and completely put me to shame.

Do I want my food:

original.jpg

to be compared to this?

0XzkWl.jpg

I know how you feel, Keith. I gave up posting pictures of my food in this thread as each shot was categorically overshadowed by more appetizing submissions.

Truth be told, sometimes I'd rather eat their food than mine, but it would still be nice to be acknowledged from the shadows.

Peter: You're a spy

Harry: I'm not a spy, I'm a shepherd

Peter: Ah! You're a shepherd's pie!

- The Goons

live well, laugh often, love much

Do I want my food:

original.jpg

to be compared to this?

0XzkWl.jpg

The way I see it ,it's like a woman with a large wardrobe of beautiful clothes, all fine quality but some are black tie and some are everyday ware . Edited by Creola (log)

The whole point of this thread is to be able to see a large variety of foods, from the everyday items to the special occasion dishes. It would not be good for people to censor themselves because they feel that what they made is not special enough. Actually this thread started years ago with a discussion of everyday meals. As long as it's something you cooked for dinner, it is fair game for this thread!

From post #1 in 2002:

Fancy, homely, good, not-so-good, hardcore full-on from scratch, or delicately supported by convenience foods. And then of course whether the sponge gets run through the dishwasher after cleanup, or not.

KW: Ive been studying your 'Pedestrian Burger'

sooooooooooo much better than my dinner which was pretty good.

point of information: is that an egg (fried?) I see on the bottom of the proximal burger?

Thanks for the comments everyone. Rotuts, that is actually a Modernist Cuisine / Heston mashup burger. The patty was formed from parallel strands of mincemeat, which I got the butcher to specially grind for me. It was then sous-vided to medium rare. Since I don't have any LN2, I decided to caramelize the exterior using Heston's flipping method. It worked - center remained medium rare.

The "egg" that you see is actually cheese. I used a mix of gruyere and camembert.

You might be able to see the mushroom ketchup in the picture.

The bun was store bought.

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

because there is the risk that after I make my post, someone ... will come along and completely put me to shame.

Nonsense!

Yours looks better to me!

Exactly.

Art used to be, very long time ago, one single style. If you did't create the same way, then you didn't have art.

Have you been to an art museum nowadays? There is no such thing anymore.

On the walls, you have keith haring, Andy Warhol, Norman Rockwell, Grandma Moses, Henri Matisse, Picasso, Rembrandt, Josef Albers --------.

I see art in all posts here by everyone. Different styles, but art just the same.

dcarch

exactly, and well-said.

that burger looks really good right about now btw. I'm hungry. :)