• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

Liuzhou - very intrigued by that pork dish. What cut of pork do you use? Do I need further details on the recipe, or is it basically as you have supplied it?

Further to this, I used 1 1/2 lbs of boneless pork loin and guessed the following proportions for the marinade:

2 tbs coriander seeds, crushed

3 cloves of garlic

1 tsp salt

1/4 cup olive oil

juice of 1 1/2 lemons

Marinating... we'll see how it turns out!

Liuzhou - very intrigued by that pork dish. What cut of pork do you use? Do I need further details on the recipe, or is it basically as you have supplied it?

Sorry, Patrick. I thought I'd replied to this earlier, but now notice my post went astray.

The Chinese don't really do cuts as we would recognise them. They just hack the beast to bits. I look for something lean with well defined grain. The recipe is as basic as I supplied, yes. Occasionally, I'll throw in some olives, but usually not. The ingredient list you give looks about right to me. I'm not really a measurer, so couldn't give precise quantities.

Marinating... we'll see how it turns out!

How did it go? I'm getting concerned you didn't come back! Hope I didn't poison you!

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Liuzhou - thanks, it came out well, but a bit dry and chewy. I think I could have cut the cubes smaller, and probably removed from the wok just a couple minutes earlier - the pork went from pink in the middle to well done very fast. It could also have used a bit more salt.

I boiled down the sauce with some flour and Shaoxing rice wine, but I don't think that added anything to it.

Will definitely try again.

Dinner tonight Salad with an "invented recipe"

Beautiful dish, and picture!

Gorgeous meals, all! More from the Big Green Egg tonight

THose chops look good Bruce, but adding to the chorus from before..those ribs were incredible!

Dinner here..steak tartare, to be scooped up with endive. Witlof? Chicory? Anyway, this:

photo-4.JPG

I boiled down the sauce with some flour and Shaoxing rice wine, but I don't think that added anything to it.

I would suggest that if you had enough sauce to boil down, you probably overdid the marinade quantities. By the time I cook the pork, I am only left with enough 'sauce' to lightly coat the meat. More like the amount of salad dressing you might use on the tomato salad.

But I'm puzzled as to why, with so much sauce, the meat felt dry and chewy. It should be moist, tender, but with a bit of bite. Unless you did indeed cut into too large cubes. I guess my cubes are around 1cm3 - maybe just a little larger.

I can' t see flour and especially not Shaoxing wine adding anything either.

But I'm glad you thought it worth trying again. And weren't poisoned.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Thanks. I brought some home from our restaurant just before we sold it about 25 years ago. I wish I'd grabbed a few more.

Amazon has them... http://www.amazon.co...=sizzle platter

Thanks for the link but I believe those are different. Mine are rectangular and stainless steel. I recently got one of those oval ones and it was aluminum and the under tray is thinner and chiped easily.

Franci – amazing looking duck breast and oxtail. So perfect!

patrickamory – the Orzo with sausage and peas is so elegant and enticing.

rarerollingobject – Lovely steak tartare, with endive. Stunning Scotch eggs.

SobaAddict70 – very nice photos of Cannellini beans and lobster pasta. And that Crosnes and turnip green salad is out of this world.

C. sapidus - Maple mustard pork chops looks very apetizing.

Mm84321 – award winning recipes.

liuzhoub – Your dish of coriander pork coninces me to want to try that recipe.

robirdstx – that is one expertly done Pan-Seared Magret Duck Breast.

Kim – even you dull dinner is festive, especially the Garlic-cheese bread, grilled meatloaf, slaw and onion rings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I had some friends over for Thanksgiving. I did sous vided a 16 lb frozen whole turky. Since no one really like turkey, I just served the turkey wings. (pictures posted on the other Thanksgiving thread). Instead, we had all kings of other meats.

dcarch

pork tenderloin with roasted peppers

porktenderloinpepper2_zps6e2d92b2.jpg

porktenderloinpepper_zps9ce089d6.jpg

scallops with white and green asparagus, shiitahi mushrooms.

scallopasparagus2_zpsea8b4730.jpg

scallopasparagus_zps26d28df2.jpg

London broil romaine

londonbroilromaine2_zpsab5b140e.jpg

londonbroilromaine_zpsd4f0e9a3.jpg

lamb shoulder chops. beets

lambshoulderchopsSV2_zps083e91c6.jpg

lambshoulderchopsSV_zps808638ef.jpg