• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

Some French Bistro cooking for dinner tonight

Lovely!

Thanks, the crust on the fish was fabulous. A few months back I changed my technique for sauteeing fish. No dusting of Wondra flour, (an Eric Ripert trick), no non-stick or cast iron pans, (only a stainless pan), only salt and pepper, (no more Cajun seasoning), and a mix of olive oil and clarified butter. It has to be clarified butter. Then basting the fish with the butter/oil throughout sauteeing and roasting. Incredible.

Some French Bistro cooking for dinner tonight

Lovely!

Thanks, the crust on the fish was fabulous. A few months back I changed my technique for sauteeing fish. No dusting of Wondra flour, (an Eric Ripert trick), no non-stick or cast iron pans, (only a stainless pan), only salt and pepper, (no more Cajun seasoning), and a mix of olive oil and clarified butter. It has to be clarified butter. Then basting the fish with the butter/oil throughout sauteeing and roasting. Incredible.

Hot pan, oil, dry fish salt and pepper. Whole butter at end to help bast and add flavor.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Bjs229 (log)

Today, I killed a chicken.

mocWrl.jpg

The bones are simmered in beef consommé for one and a half hours in a low oven. This is then strained, added to a blonde roux, and simmered with truffle juice and preserved lemon until reduced to a syrup. The sauce is finished with whipped cream and a compound butter of foie gras.

YGSrvl.jpg

Foie gras is poached for 20 minutes in Chambertin wine, chilled, sliced, and then stuffed into a pocket made between the meat and skin of each chicken breast. The chicken is cooked on the bone, sous vide for one and a half hours with more truffle juice, preserved lemon and beef consommé.

rEMnql.jpg

YbDE3l.jpg

Turnips are trimmed, hollowed and cooked, first in boiling water to remove bitterness, then finished in steam.

pXjn0l.jpg

They are stuffed with a mixture of girolles, swiss chard and smoked bacon.

k6Qdwl.jpg

Some more girolles are cooked á la créme and served with the final dish.

K1DC2l.jpg

Where do you source all your ingredients from? You always seem to have great stuff!

Just up the road from me a couple is raising chickens for meat. They don't bring them to market, but I knew they had them since I was on their property a few times over the summer when they were growing tomatoes. I asked if I could slaughter and dress one, and they were happy to allow me to do so. I just watched him with one first, and followed his lead; it was a fairly quick and clean process. A nice bird, too: yellow skinned, good fat, a bit young ~8 weeks or so, fully dressed at 3 pounds (feet on). I'm told they are a French hybrid of sorts, but not sure of exact breed. It had a distinct taste, and was better than anything I've bought. However, I am not sure I would want to go through that process every time I feel like eating chicken.

David – those meatballs are just beautiful. I’m like you: if the meatballs are REALLY good, I don’t even need pasta. Just good bread to wrap them up in and soak up the gravy! The salt cod and sea bass looked delicious, too.

Christine – good looking pizza. I was going to make one for Halloween night, like I sometimes do but it got by me this year. Now, I wish I’d made the effort.

mm – I admire your chicken-dispatching prowess, because I know that I couldn’t do it. I’m very clear that when I indulge in meat, I’m eating ANIMALS and I try to appreciate that someone has to do the hard work. You wouldn’t want to do it all the time, you said, but good for you for being willing to do it at all.

Night before last dinner was dull:

med_gallery_3331_114_34008.jpg

But very satisfying.

Last night my MIL came over for dinner. I did BBQ meatloaf sandwiches:

med_gallery_3331_114_115683.jpg

Garlic-cheese bread, grilled meatloaf, slaw and onion rings. The only scratch stuff was the meatloaf and the slaw. Served with sour cream mashed potatoes and green beans:

med_gallery_3331_114_4009.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_72705.jpg

Dessert was pumpkin-cream cheese ribbon bread:

med_gallery_3331_114_11353.jpg

Thanks Kim! I finally got a camera and I'm looking forward to more photo adventures.

I don't find you food dull at all, the opposite actually, you cook real food and you always put imagination and love into it, and it shows. The potatos look amazing, I'm doing something along those lines for Thanksgiving.

---------------------------------------

Tonight, I did a stuffed acorn squash, the filling was sage sausage, fresh picked apples and sweet onion, with a touch of maple syrup.

Our side was a rice dish with chicken broth and a white sauce mixed together. It came out nice and creamy!

squash.jpg

rice.jpg

Edited by christine007 (log)

---------------------------------------

Howdy all, it's been awhile..not posting much lately, but still lurking for your food. ;)robirdstx, that duck breast is stunning!

Kim Shook, you should know that your dinner with meatloaf got me curious to try making it (which would have been a first for me), and thinking about solid walls of meat then morphed into a hankering to try making Scotch eggs, and here we are.

I always think Scotch eggs with hen eggs are too big and unwieldy, so I got me some quail eggs, boiled them until just soft, and had at it.

IMG_4762.jpg

Hen eggs = too big, but quail eggs = life may be too short to peel a dozen of them. Delicious tho, topped with smoked salt and hot mustard.

IMG_4765.jpg