• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

Very simple and easy but a very tasty weeknight dinner that didn't take a lot of work. Fried giant prawn. Steamed rice with black sesame seed and sea salt. Store-bought seaweed salad and fermented vegetables, (out of a little can off the shelf at the Asian market). Then a dipping sauce of citrus-flavored soy sauce, fish sauce, sesame oil and julienned ginger.

015.JPG

dcarch – thanks so much. Things really are getting better – still lots to go through, but I’m feeling so much better about my grandmother and that helps everything.

Norm – thank you – that shrimp boil sounds great! I’ll try that soon.

Enrique – thank you for your good wishes!

Had my mom and sister over for dinner the other night. Didn’t know my sister was in town until lunchtime, so I made an easy pot roast:

med_gallery_3331_114_69855.jpg

Ronald Johnson’s Italian pot roast, egg noodles and more lovely little Brussels sprouts.

Kim - Pot roast may be easy for you, but I find it not alway come out the way I like.

David Ross - That fried shrimp dish is not easy either.

mm84321 - ugly fish, beautiful dish.

Rico - nice looking steak, so what it's a little chewy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Storm after storm here in NY. There was not much to do, everything was shut down, Only boring weather reports and campaign commercials on TV. So I turned off the TV and cooked

dcarch

Salmon can have three textures: Raw as in sushi, fully cooked flaky like canned salmon, then there is Sous vide salmon. Salmon cooked at very low temperature has this amazing tender juicy creamy consistence.

SVsalmon4_zpsd1abc595.jpg

SVsalmon3_zpsd931d57a.jpg

SVsalmon2_zps4eb5cb40.jpg

Roasted pork with roasted pepper

roastedporkpepper_zps96524973.jpg

roastedporkpepper2_zps1b8faf7c.jpg

Baked ribs with baked cauliflower

califlowerribs_zps13321121.jpg

califlowerribs2_zps538378b9.jpg

Sometimes, just too lazy to fry green tomatoes. Season the slices and pop them in the waffle iron

friedgreentomatoes_zpsc0693617.jpg

friedgreentomatoes2_zps2768e67b.jpg

Salmon is also nice seared, skin side down (without skin), and poached in olive oil at 140ºF for 20 minutes. Gives a very nice texture.

Actually I have been able to get crispy skin, I mean crackling crispy without over cooking the fish. The salmon was SV at 120F.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)

Woodcock from Pennsylvania

xqFKjl.jpg

Hung for only 2 days

XDf7Vl.jpg

Trussed by sticking the beak through the fat of the thighs. The gizzards, eyes and tongue are all removed.

tIiA4l.jpg

White cabbage is blanched, seasoned with fleur de sel and pepper, then cooked sous vide with truffle juice for 7 hours.

UeTeJl.jpg

ywUkZl.jpg

QxrX2l.jpg

It is then cut into circles, colored in clarified butter, and deglazed with the cooking juices.

AnXa5l.jpg

The woodcock is roasted whole, carved, the bones used to make the sauce, the innards removed, chopped and added to a mixture of chopped foie gras and cognac. Bread is sauteed in the cooking fat, and cut in half (melba style), then spread with this mixture and cooked quickly in the oven.

Tolfhl.jpg

The legs are deboned, and both the breasts and legs are wrapped with cabbage. The sauce is served on the side in a sauceboat.

eqkbDl.jpg

Nicolai - I love love love buratta! I'm from the UK but just got married in Italy and we had it at our wedding. Fantastic just as you served it but even more decadent with some shaved truffle on top!

To those who don't know it, it is a mozzarella that has cream inside and if you're looking for a unique antipasti dish it can be the centrepiece to elevate it!

dcarch – Your salmon is beautiful. And I’m QUITE sure that you would make a lovely pot roast! I love the waffle ironed green tomatoes!

mm – I’d love to try that woodcock. The entire dish looks and sounds delectable!

Pot roast soup is what all good pot roast wants to be when it’s time comes. When I make that pot roast, I always double up on the sauce ingredients so that I have plenty for soup. Picked apart meat, all the sauce, some of the leftover noodles and a handful of peas make good soup – and what we had for dinner a couple of nights ago:

med_gallery_3331_114_52883.jpg

And Biscoff spread and banana crepes:

med_gallery_3331_172_48668.jpg

I make ugly crepes, but they were very good!

Night before last - pot roast soup again, with a side of cheese, hummus and really good local bread:

med_gallery_3331_114_124379.jpg

Cheeses are Ca De Ambros Taleggio and Soignon goat brie. Both were lovely, but I’m kicking myself that I forgot I had a jar of preserved figs that a friend gave to me. That would have been incredible. Oh, well, back to Whole Foods, I guess!

I also made cranberry sauce for Christmas dinner to put in the freezer.

I guess talking again about the fantastic compositions of dcarch, or the wonderful technique and platings of mm84321 and avaserfi would be repetitive, so I will not insist...

Kim, I could be eating that soup the whole winter!

Sous-Vide Duck day! First, one of the best French foie gras I've ever eaten, cooked sous-vide in torchon style, 57ºC for 45 minutes:

foie-sv-57c_P.JPG

Then leg confit sous-vide, from Modernist Cuisine:

duck-leg-confit-sv.JPG

I guess talking again about the fantastic compositions of dcarch, or the wonderful technique and platings of mm84321 and avaserfi would be repetitive, so I will not insist...

Kim, I could be eating that soup the whole winter!

Sous-Vide Duck day! First, one of the best French foie gras I've ever eaten, cooked sous-vide in torchon style, 57ºC for 45 minutes:

foie-sv-57c_P.JPG

Was this the torchon recipe from the Modernist Cuisine as well?

Enrique – I will trade you a gallon of soup for one plate of that gorgeous food that you showed us. So lovely and delicious looking.

Twyst – I agree. And I’m afraid that I’m secretly Sandra Lee :unsure: .

After a week too full of pot roast soup, tonight I made Patty Melts:

med_gallery_3331_114_153946.jpg

80/20, American, Swiss, seeded rye bread and caramelized onions – just what we needed! Plus crinkle cuts:

med_gallery_3331_114_74226.jpg

And for Mr. Kim, kale:

med_gallery_3331_114_171862.jpg

Finally a meatball recipe I'm proud of. Just a simple mix of beef, pork, fresh bread soaked in milk, salt, pepper, parsley, fennel seeds, egg, dried basil, oregano and marjoram and a good measure of ricotta. They were incredibly soft and juicy. I browned them in olive oil then into the oven napped with marinara sauce using canned San Marzano tomates. I didn't even need any pasta, just a few slices of bread.

005.JPG

I was playing around the other day with the idea of meat and potatoes the other day.

_MG_0181-Edit+final.jpg

That looks really good Andrew.

What's in it and did it also come with a sauce?

Thanks.

The beef is boneless short rib that I seared and pressure cooked with beef stock, charred ancho chilies, espresso and onion consomme (inspired by red-eye gravy). I did a natural release, then chilled the braise in its liquid. The next day I removed the meat and clarified the braising liquid, then reduced it by half and finished with salt and an espresso-chipotle vinegar.

The meat was gently rewarmed in an oven and then researed. I glazed it with the sauce and served it on crispy shoe string potatoes with a poached and fried quail egg.

Andrew Vaserfirer aka avaserfi

Host, eG Forums

avaserfirer@egstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory

Not as pretty as many of the dishes here, but it tasted fine.

Pan fried salmon with a buttery lemon and caper sauce, silver enoki mushrooms and rice. Served with Japanese pickled ginger. There was also a side of wilted lettuce with garlic.

IMG_1766.jpg

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto