• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

That crying tiger looks great! Where can I find the recipe? assuming the meat is chicken and not something offally!

It's usually made with beef but it looks as if PatrickArmory made it with chicken.

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

Yep, I made it with chicken following the recipe from Cracking The Coconut. The Food Network has reposted it here:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/seur-rong-hai-crying-tiger-recipe/index.html

Note that it calls for Big Four paste, the recipe for that is here:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/the-big-four-paste-glurh-ka-tiem-prikk-thai-rugg-pakk-chee-recipe/index.html

My first grouse of the season, simply pan roasted. Served with sauté of lettuce, broad bean and black pudding, a vanilla parsnip puree and a marsala pan reduction with raisins.

20121021.JPG

Something completely different; David Thompson's Massaman curry made with ox cheeks, a stunning dish! The recipe seems quite long winded but i used a pressure cooker to tenderise the beef which really cut down the cooking time. One of those recipes that you can't wait to try again as soon as possible.

20121028a.JPG

My first grouse of the season, simply pan roasted. Served with sauté of lettuce, broad bean and black pudding, a vanilla parsnip puree and a marsala pan reduction with raisins.

20121021.JPG

Something completely different; David Thompson's Massaman curry made with ox cheeks, a stunning dish! The recipe seems quite long winded but i used a pressure cooker to tenderise the beef which really cut down the cooking time. One of those recipes that you can't wait to try again as soon as possible.

20121028a.JPG

With talons like that, I bet it was one tasty bird! I've had a hankering for a decent black pudding for years and so I think I better get cracking and make one at home. Thanks for planting the idea.

I need a boring weekend to make Massaman curry. I am always disappointed when I order it in restaurants, but it seems like something I would love and yours looks fantastic. Thanks for the incentive!

20121021.JPG

20121028a.JPG

With talons like that, I bet it was one tasty bird! I've had a hankering for a decent black pudding for years and so I think I better get cracking and make one at home. Thanks for planting the idea.

David, I happened to make that Massaman curry just a week ago - great stuff indeed! And yours looks absolutely delicious!

Oops, edit - I see that the credit goes to Prawncrackers, in fact. The comment still stands :)

Edited by GeneMachine (log)

That sounds like a very leading question Patrick... There are roasted crushed peanuts in the spice paste but it isn't overly peanutty in the finished curry. I think the recipe calls for whole nuts to finish too but I don't like the texture of them whole in curries.

Sorry i posted that after a long day

The salmon is smoked with shavings of an oak whiskey barrel then lined and rolled with a goats cheese mixture of a few too many things to list but will be generally the typical smoked salmon accompaniments

The flowers are violas which i stole from someones front garden after 3 hours in the woods and nothing to show for it

It is infact a crust of lightly toasted sesame seeds and alight dusting on top of cumin and coriander powder which I am not totally sold on, i must admit you may have just given me a great idea with the puffed rice

not yet bought or gathered my own plate collection so not really served on plates that i would like them to be served on

The Pigeon was also plated like this but the dish is too under developed to really sit in this type of plating

P1000285.jpg

Schwartz is the gold standard I am trying to come close to. The texture of the finished product is spot on for the smoking and steaming process. The flavours are going to be a work in progress. hopefully I will be able to find some prague powder #2 on the weekend when my wife and I go across the border Port Huron. I have been using readycure and wondering if #2 will give me a better result. Find what I have been able to research Schwartz's claims not to use any artificial nitrates or nitrites. They do a 14 day dry cure with a secret blend of spices. I am willing to bet celery powder is in there , otherwise I am stumped at how they get that kind of colour in their product .

I don't recommend cure #2 (nitrates and nitrites) for this application. You want cure #1 (nitrites only). Cure 2 is used for dry cured products which need the nitrates as a reserve "silo" for nitrite creation and keeping meat safe over extended periods of time.

Everyone's dinners look amazing. Thank you C.Sapidus and Nikkib for your comments about the brisket. Last weekend two of the neighbors helped us take down a dead Austrian pine so I invited them over for dinner last night. We had

Shrimp appetizer with beets, hard cooked eggs and a dressing on the side.

DSCN0366.jpg

Cucumber salad

DSCN0364.jpg

Bread

DSCN0362.jpg

Slottsteck (Norwegian pot roast) roasted potatoes, zuchinni and yellow squash and pan juices from the pot roast

DSCN0367.jpg

and Black Forest cake... lopsided. LOL

DSCN0363.jpg

I recently made the pot au feu plated dish from the MC books (volume 5). Delicious, but probably the most work I've done for a meal ever. It included:

SV Pickled Beef Tongue

100-hour oxtail

Beef shank rilletes

SV Rare flatiron steak (definitely going to make this again in another embodiment)

SV celery root, carrots, turnips, and rutabaga

Beignet of ravigote sauce

Oxtail consomme

Microwave fried parsley

whew...

175046_10102424883475950_147537362_o.jpg

Edited by Baselerd (log)

Chakhokhbili, Georgian chicken stew, made with chicken legs, onions, garlic, coriander powder, fenugreek, chile flakes, a whole bunch of tomatoes, and fresh tarragon, parsley, coriander, and dill. Served with Iraqi sammoun bread, which is somewhat close to Georgian bread.

548941_831379746531_1297898381_n.jpg

Edited by Hassouni (log)

Chakhokhbili, Georgian chicken stew, made with chicken legs, onions, garlic, coriander powder, fenugreek, chile flakes, a whole bunch of tomatoes, and fresh tarragon, parsley, coriander, and dill.

Hassouni - Gosh that sounds delicious.

Farmhouse stir-fried pork with Anaheim and cubanelle peppers, bacon, sliced garlic, and fermented black beans. Recipe from Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook. With its remarkably high flavor / effort ratio, this dish appears frequently. Sorry about that . . .

Baked sweet potato with lime-cilantro butter The lime-cilantro butter was also delicious on the pork.

p1235410196-4.jpg