• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

Shredded pork with microwaved crackling:

BraisedPorkMicrowaveCrackling 2012-10-23 at 09.08.46.png

The pork was a skin-on cut traditionally used here for flæskesteg, braised in a litre of stock plus a beer, seasoned with fresh lovage, garlic, a bit of ground cloves and nutmeg, a chili, a pinch of ground vanilla bean, and a little vinegar and sugar. Since this was braised, the skin was soft and gelatinous by the time the meat was done; I started to finish it a high temperature to crisp it, but everyone was hungry, so that went to the wall.

However, I was curious about something I'd read in Modernist Cuisine about making beef jerky in the microwave, and wondered what would happen to the skin if I I cut it away from the meat and just nuked it for a few minutes (folded up in paper towel, to absorb the grease, and because I don't love cleaning microwaves).

In about half a minute, it sounded like I was making popcorn. At the two-minute mark, the skin was (as you can sort of see; it was a bit dark when I took this shot), beautifully, deliacately crisp and browned. Since the traditional method of browning the skin in the oven tends to make for rock-hard results without anything special in terms of flavour, I intend to go the microwave route from now on.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

MSM my absolute favorite. hope to try your Rx soon. is it like Schwartz in Montreal?

Schwartz is the gold standard I am trying to come close to. The texture of the finished product is spot on for the smoking and steaming process. The flavours are going to be a work in progress. hopefully I will be able to find some prague powder #2 on the weekend when my wife and I go across the border Port Huron. I have been using readycure and wondering if #2 will give me a better result. Find what I have been able to research Schwartz's claims not to use any artificial nitrates or nitrites. They do a 14 day dry cure with a secret blend of spices. I am willing to bet celery powder is in there , otherwise I am stumped at how they get that kind of colour in their product .

Reuben tonight with some of the smoked meat. I finished my bottle of black cherry soda , so beer it is. Augustijn Donker.

GEDC3807.jpg

GEDC3809.jpg

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

I'm getting slightly obsessed with quince.

Lamb, quince and turnips from J. McLagan. One of my favourite recipes from Odd bits.

meatlambquince2.jpg

Lamb and quince inspired by a dish from Classical Turkish Cooking. I halved the fruit, the sugar, the cinnamon. It's tasty but Jennifer version is by far the one I prefer.

meatlambquinceturkish.jpg

I had a son one month ago... so I haven't had much time to take pictures and post dinners, getting some sleep has been enough!! In the meantime I've been amazed by the wonderful dinners posted here.

And here we go again:

Low-temperature roasted pigeons:

roasted-pigeon_1.JPG

roasted-pigeon_2.JPG

Quinoa and cauliflower salad, from Modernist Cuisine at Home:

ensalada-quinoa-coliflor-mcah-t.JPG

Citrus-cured salmon, then confit sous-vide at 43ºC, from Thomas Keller's The French Laundry:

salmon-tk_1.JPG

Looking at all these incredible multi-dimensional extraordinary creations, I feel a little timid to post my dinner tonight.

In doing my archeological excavation of my freezer trying to find things to demonstrate the use of vegetable plastic bags for freezer use, I discovered a lot of old odds and ends leftovers. I hate throwing food away, so dinner tonight was petrified historic freezer food discoveries.

dcarch

Tofu with truffle oil

tofutofu_zps393fb077.jpg

Re-baked leftover pizza and deep fried cod

pizzacod_zps2d9d8f81.jpg

Couscous, Tapioca and radish

couscoustapioca_zpse69b644e.jpg

The meals on this topic continue to amaze! Thank you for sharing!

Dinner last night:

Crawfish%2520Etouffee-04.jpg

Crawfish Etouffee with Steamed Rice and a sprinkle of "Slap Ya Mama" Cajun Seasoning

And dinner tonight:

GrilledSteakOnions-02.jpg

Grilled Beef Rib Eye and Onions with Steamed Broccoli Florets

Enrique, with a new baby you could make that! You are brave. Congratulations on you newborn!

Dcarch, leftover or not your food is always beautiful. Now I need to run and buy tapioca.

Yesterday night we had risotto with fresh porcini. And we are still working on our jamon de pata negra.

risottoporcini.jpg

Looking at all these incredible multi-dimensional extraordinary creations, I feel a little timid to post my dinner tonight.

In doing my archeological excavation of my freezer trying to find things to demonstrate the use of vegetable plastic bags for freezer use, I discovered a lot of old odds and ends leftovers. I hate throwing food away, so dinner tonight was petrified historic freezer food discoveries.

dcarch

Tofu with truffle oil

tofutofu_zps393fb077.jpg

Re-baked leftover pizza and deep fried cod

pizzacod_zps2d9d8f81.jpg

Couscous, Tapioca and radish

couscoustapioca_zpse69b644e.jpg

Good Lord, and that is just a leftover presentation. dcarch, your plating skills leave me afraid to touch a plate any more...

Send me that Tofu picture in high resolution, and it goes straight up on my wall in a decent frame. :smile:

Norm: Beautiful brisket!

It is a daily pleasure to see everyone’s creations here.

Fried shrimp po’ boy: Three-station prep for the shrimp: 1) flour mixed with Cajun seasoning; 2) egg wash; 3) flour and corn meal. Deep-fry the shrimp and serve on lightly broiled Italian rolls with Cajun mustard, mayo, bread and butter pickles, lettuce, tomatoes, and Tapatio hot sauce. Avocado slices available if desired. Quoth younger son: “I don’t like shrimp but this was good stuff.”

First time making po’ boys but not the last. Do any po’ boy experts have suggestions for improvement?

No Cajun seasoning or Cajun mustard in the house, so we consulted the internet and mixed some up. Also fried up the last of the green tomatoes, using the same breading as the shrimp.

p1221960014-4.jpg

Not a dinner I ate, but a birthday dinner that I helped create.

passed+apps.jpg

Left: persimmon jelly, 45 day dry aged fatback cured into lardo, lemon basil, smoked sea salt

Center: crab salad, chicharrón, serrano chili, pickled enoki, cilantro

Right: green papaya, braised pork belly, nuoc mam, pickled carrot and radish

passed+app+papaya.jpg

liver+onions+and+caviar.jpg

nitro-fried liverwurst, bass caviar, radish, cornichon, purslane, roasted cippolini

pasta.jpg

tagliatelle al nero di seppia, gulf shrimp, XO purgatory sauce

the+pork.jpg

45-day dry-aged kombu cured Mangalitsa loin, brown butter gnocchi, Texas tarragon, wild mushroom, wood ear broth

goats+2.jpg

smoked and braised goat, goat sausage, smoked goat coppa, creamed mustard greens, sweet potato, goat demi

smore.jpg

sanguinaccio dolce, graham cracker, sorghum marshmallow and meringue, lard shortbread

Andrew Vaserfirer aka avaserfi

Host, eG Forums

avaserfirer@egstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory