• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

OMG Franci that must be a $1000 ham. I am SO jealous.

No, no Patrick. That's my husband rationale: better to eat it now here, where it's affordable, if we go back to the US it's way too expensive. It's not a 5 Jotas and in fact doesn't taste as good as the paleta we had last time, it's a little more acidic but it's still very good.

Wow, what a lovely dish of pasta. Want to share the recipe?

Thank you so much!

Alla Mario Batali

http://www.mariobatali.com/recipes_carbonara.cfm

I used thick sliced bacon that I par-cooked in the oven, drained, chopped, and finished in the olive oil.

Ravioli inspired by a dish at Osteria in Philadelphia. No way to find rochetta in our area so I used a combination of French Chevre, Dutch Gouda and New Zealand Windsor Blue at a ratio of maybe 65:20:15. I know it's a bastardized combo but it worked. Topped with shiitake and crimini mushrooms.

DSC_0070.JPG

We also had fresh grilled swordfish that I pulled from the grill a little to early so I finished it on the stove. I love swordfish and I am really amazed how the price of fish has changed over the years. At my local fish market today the price for fillets of sword were $6.99/#, wahoo $8.99/#, amberjack $11.99/# and grouper & tuna at $12.99/#. What used to trash fish (trigger, amberjack) now sell at prices above at what was once considered premium.

DSC_0071.JPG

Mjx - thanks so much for the chicken information. I'll be trying that since one of our favorite food is simply roasted chicken.

I have some sad news. Some of you will remember my stepdad, Ted Fairhead, who used to post here. He passed away yesterday morning. He hadn't been well for some time, but his death was very sudden and shocking to us all. We have lots of friends and family in and out of both of our houses right now. I'm staying with my mom for a few nights, so I'm not sure when I'll be back. I'm still going to be going down to NC to see after my grandmother, so my time isn't my own right now. I'll be checking in as often as I can, though.

Oh Kim {{{hugs}}} I'm so sorry for your loss. I certainly remember Ted and he will be missed. You and your family are in my prayers.

Simple, downhome cookin' here. Panfried tilapia with llapingachos and steamed veggies.

Elizabeth, that's a lovely crust on your fish. What did you season it with?

It's a mixture of whole-wheat soda cracker crumb and faux-Ritz cracker crumb, with quinua flour and a bit of parmesan cheese; the seasoning is parsely, basil, pimentón, and a touch of "yellow seasoning" which is a blend of turmeric, mustard, nutmeg, fenugreek, cumin, oregano, and garlic powders. I actually normally use it as a gratin on things like mac n cheese, but when I'm feeling too lazy to prepare a breadcrumb coating I'll also cover fish in it.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Franci – Quince looks great, would you mind describing? A friend is offering us a quince tree, so I would like to learn more.

Kim – I am so sorry for your loss

Freeze warning last night, so we harvested our green tomatoes. See where this is going? Fried green tomatoes dipped in egg wash and coated with cornmeal, fresh thyme, S&P.

p1193791802-4.jpg

Mrs. C baked salmon with pesto. I made anchovy-caper vinaigrette to go with green salad.

p1193791812-4.jpg

Heidi's recent post about fennel seeds reminded me of a favorite Madhur Jaffrey recipe for lamb curry with Kashmiri chiles. The cookbook (published in the '80s) says to substitute a mixture of cayenne and sweet paprika, but I seemed to remember seeing Kashmiri dried red chiles at Kalustyan's, and lo and behold they were were there. I deseeded, soaked and pureed them. This recjipe also requires soaking tamarind pulp. The dish definitely had more depth and a cinnamony-sweet intensity with the Kashimi chiles - I recommend it.

soaking.jpg

chile.jpg

kashmiri_lamb.jpg

Amazing! Just amazing the kind of cooking by everyone. I would say the diversity is mind boggling, not too many of the dishes can be found on restaurant menus.

-------------------------------------

Thanks to our friends from up north (Canada) sending us the crispy chilling weather.

Reminder to all, there are not too many grilling days remaining this year.

Grilled some ribs and shrimps, and putting away all the tools, charcoal, etc.

dcarch

Shrimpsbeans_zps13af34ef.jpg

Shrimpsbeans3_zps74babacd.jpg

BBQribs3_zps5964b53f.jpg

BBQribs2_zps9d4cf5f2.jpg

Beautiful dinner mm84321 i bet it tastes good as it looks!

Thanks. I forgot to explain, but one element in the dish was lasagna made from black trumpet and parsley. These were the ones I found in the woods earlier in the week. You lay them with parsley on one half of a sheet of pasta brushed with egg whites, then fold over the other half and run through the pasta roller again. It's a nice technique, and something you could use with pretty much anything that will lay flat.

Xn4yil.jpg

N1XrQl.jpg

Edited by mm84321 (log)

Reminder to all, there are not too many grilling days remaining this year.

What? Winter is no reason to stop grilling. :rolleyes:

I love yard-long beans, and the ribs are very cool. Do you have a bandsaw in your kitchen? :wink:

Bahamian grilled chicken from the BBQ Bible. Chicken quarters marinated briefly in lime juice, drained, and then marinated for a couple of hours with onions, garlic, chiles, paprika, S&P, and olive oil.

Simplest potato and leek braise from All About Braising, flavored with thyme, nutmeg, black pepper, chicken stock, and butter, and then finished with heavy cream.

Curried cauliflower, courtesy of Mrs. C, who also made the unpictured salad.

p1196782930-4.jpg

C Sapidus, "---I love yard-long beans, and the ribs are very cool. Do you have a bandsaw in your kitchen? :wink:"

Thanks.

What I did: I used a vegetable plastic bag, froze the slab of ribs and cut it into three strips on my table saw with a carbide blade.

Very easy and quick.

dcarch