• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

This is Scottish Grouse

AML21l.jpg

A jus is made from the carcass, carrots and onions.

yxvWJl.jpg

The fillets of each breast are passed through a fine tamis to create a farce.

9e1qEl.jpg

a5U8Nl.jpg

This is mixed (quite energetically) with an egg white, salt, and a little cream.

pblgsl.jpg

The heads of cepes are cooked en papillote with garlic, thyme and olive oil.

PabySl.jpg

They are then sliced and seasoned.

qwXMJl.jpg

The farce is spread thinly over each grouse breast, and then the cepes are scaled over.

h61Z9l.jpg

Then, it all gets wrapped up in caul fat and cooked at 56ºC for 30 minutes, chilled, then browned on the stovetop.

stvAUl.jpg

Rounds of turnip are cooked slowly with orange zest, butter and honey.

Pcejml.jpg

The legs are quickly seared.

g4lsql.jpg

H4A6jl.jpg

The turnips are sprinkled with rosemary.

J0qOsl.jpg

Kim: I am so glad that you liked the chicken. Apologies for not answering your question in time, but it looks like your cooking instincts came through quite nicely. :smile:

I do find that each new bag of jasmine rice needs to be calibrated for liquid and cooking time.

mm: That looks fantastic!

Bucatini all'Amatriciana: Sauteed onion, pancetta, tomatoes, red chile, simmered and tossed with grated parmesan and romano cheese. Mrs. C made a salad (lettuce, garden tomatoes, jicama, cukes) and a garlicky balsamic vinegar and Asiago cheese dressing (also good for dipping bread).

p1151888210-4.jpg

Wonderful technique mm84321, really stylish. Love grouse but half of one is never enough! I had a good moan in a restaurant once when i was served up one measly breast of grouse, I was so disappointed.

mm84321, that looks great!

We had offals, again...Coratella di agnello con la cipolla. I posted already, around Easter, some lamb offals with artichokes, here another Roman version with onions. My little one ate it with gusto. This time I did a much better job, I really enjoyed the texture and flavor.

meatlamboffals.jpg

Dessert!!

Vietnamese Cinnamon/Lavender Ice-Cream and Short Bread Cookies ( Think Candied Red Hots with a touch of Lavender )

8032706659_e9102f01a8_h.jpg

I made this last week but just got a Chance to Photo it.. getting a bit grainy in the Ice Cream!!

Its good to have Morels

mm84321, I really like the messages where you explain what you did!! And then, if they come from a book, I would love to know the source...

Thanks. This was from Yannick Alléno's 101 Créations Culinaires. Most of what I've been posting lately have been his recipes, as I've found myself to identify with his style of cuisine. I work a lot from his other book, 4 Saisons a La Table No.5, as well.

Thanks. This was from Yannick Alléno's 101 Créations Culinaires. Most of what I've been posting lately have been his recipes, as I've found myself to identify with his style of cuisine. I work a lot from his other book, 4 Saisons a La Table No.5, as well.

Thanks!! I knew I was going to learn something, I didn't know the books.

Thanks!! I knew I was going to learn something, I have to check out those books.

great stuff guys, especially the RG beans patrick. I need to restock my supply; keep saying that but I'm forgetful.

Recent stuff:

8032881364_ef0aa514ec_z.jpg

Zucchini frico

This is just thin sliced zucchini cooked in olive oil, with sea salt, pecorino romano cheese and black pepper. Italian parsley to finish. The cheese becomes crispy when cooked in this manner.

8032881122_e62803e34b_z.jpg

Mozzarella, heirloom tomato and mesclun salad, with Delfino cilantro

Delfino cilantro is a slow-bolting variety of cilantro that has strong parsley flavor notes with an undertone of citrus.

8032883203_3f48a5f598_z.jpg

Cremini mushroom and zucchini custard

Mesclun and heirloom tomato salad, homemade ranch dressing

I probably went a little overboard on the dressing. The ranch dressing consists of mayonnaise, sour cream, buttermilk, Dijon mustard, Delfino cilantro, sea salt, garlic, black pepper and chives. I've never had homemade ranch dressing before; you can be assured I'll be using it a lot in the future.

The custard is very simple -- eggs, milk, cremini mushrooms, zucchini, shallots, unsalted butter, sea salt, black pepper. Cook the mushrooms, zucchini and shallots in butter; taste for salt and pepper. Add to an egg/milk mixture (1 egg + 1/2 cup of milk for two custards to serve one person), pour in ramekins, bake in a bain-marie at 375 F for 30 minutes, garnish with herbs, serve at once.

8032883925_545005ca57_z.jpg

Sausage, kale and potato hash

I make variants of this hash in the autumn and winter. You can take it in any direction you wish, from vegan to vegetarian, to a little or a lot of meat as you see here. Vegetables were cooked separately in lightly salted water, then chopped coarsely, then cooked in a mixture of sausage pan drippings and olive oil. Greens can be spinach, Swiss chard, black cabbage, escarole, chicory or kale. Potatoes can be Yukon Gold, Purple Peruvian, Austrian, Red Crescent, Ruby Red, Idaho potatoes or Russian Banana. Sometimes I serve it plain with just greens and potatoes, and lashings of excellent olive oil. Sometimes there'll be a couple of poached or soft-cooked eggs, or chopped tomatoes, or oil-packed anchovy and garlic, or roasted or baked shrimp, or shredded poached chicken, or pan-fried brook trout.

It's also a wonderful way to use up leftovers. You get the idea.

This version contains purple kale, Italian spicy sausage, Yukon Gold potatoes, olive oil, sea salt and black pepper.

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

Soba: That custard sounds delish, and I’ll keep an eye out for Delfino cilantro next spring

Choo chee curry bay scallops, adapted from Dancing Shrimp: Red curry paste fried with brown sugar, coconut cream, fish sauce, slivered chiles, Thai basil, a squeeze of lime, and a paste of red chiles and garlic mashed in the mortar. Spicy!

Jasmine rice and salad.

p1156431564-4.jpg

8032883925_545005ca57_z.jpg

Sausage, kale and potato hash

I make variants of this hash in the autumn and winter. You can take it in any direction you wish, from vegan to vegetarian, to a little or a lot of meat as you see here. Vegetables were cooked separately in lightly salted water, then chopped coarsely, then cooked in a mixture of sausage pan drippings and olive oil. Greens can be spinach, Swiss chard, black cabbage, escarole, chicory or kale. Potatoes can be Yukon Gold, Purple Peruvian, Austrian, Red Crescent, Ruby Red, Idaho potatoes or Russian Banana. Sometimes I serve it plain with just greens and potatoes, and lashings of excellent olive oil. Sometimes there'll be a couple of poached or soft-cooked eggs, or chopped tomatoes, or oil-packed anchovy and garlic, or roasted or baked shrimp, or shredded poached chicken, or pan-fried brook trout.

It's also a wonderful way to use up leftovers. You get the idea.

This version contains purple kale, Italian spicy sausage, Yukon Gold potatoes, olive oil, sea salt and black pepper.

That looks very delicious, bascially a hash version of Stampot .

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Soba-I'll be stealing that recipe! We have so many potatoes from our CSA right now I'm afraid their going to go bad before we use them all. And I know it sounds unbelievable, but there really are only so many bowls of mashed potatoes you can eat!

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown