• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

I had 6 portions of the same size and only need 3 tablespoons of oil. This fish was so clean and sweet I'm sure he would love it.

It doesn't have a high oil content so that fishy thing doesn't happen much as long as it's fresh. Lends so well to an oil poach, it's my method of choice.

Sorry, one last question. You did cook it sous vide, right? I just had a look at your web site. Stunning plates, just gorgeous.

I'm digging all the beans lately

Gai yang (barbecued chicken): Marinated with garlic, ginger, white pepper, cilantro stems, whiskey, coconut milk, fish sauce, and soy sauce. Baked until nearly done and then finished over charcoal. Yeah, we make this a lot.

Pad pak (mixed vegetable stir-fry): Napa cabbage, snow peas, and mushrooms, stir-fried with mashed garlic, fish sauce, fermented soybean paste, and black pepper.

Coconut rice

p1136013068-4.jpg

I'm digging all the beans lately

Gai yang (barbecued chicken): Marinated with garlic, ginger, white pepper, cilantro stems, whiskey, coconut milk, fish sauce, and soy sauce. Baked until nearly done and then finished over charcoal. Yeah, we make this a lot.

Pad pak (mixed vegetable stir-fry): Napa cabbage, snow peas, and mushrooms, stir-fried with mashed garlic, fish sauce, fermented soybean paste, and black pepper.

Coconut rice

p1136013068-4.jpg

Bruce - as always I wish was an invited guest. Can you review how you do the coconut rice? I have done it just subbing half the liquid with canned coconut milk in a rice cooker.

Thank you very much, Heidi, let me know when you are in the neighborhood . . .

Bruce - as always I wish was an invited guest. Can you review how you do the coconut rice? I have done it just subbing half the liquid with canned coconut milk in a rice cooker.

Jasmine rice, rinse and drain, 1.25 parts liquid to 1 part rice, half chicken stock and half coconut milk, sometimes add a little sugar and/or salt, bring to a boil, cover and simmer on lowest heat for 16 minutes, remove from heat and let steam for a few more minutes.

It is pretty forgiving – tonight I got distracted, nearly boiled the pot dry, added a little more chicken stock, and estimated how much longer to simmer. Tasted about the same somehow . . .

Nothing Glamorous..but simple and my kids favorite.

186973_1570044981_2556139_q.jpg

Paul Bacino

Chicken Fried Steak-- This is a cube steak that gets tenderized run through a jaccarding device.. I flour the first time.. Heavy in blk pepper, fire salt, Cajun seasoning and flour--into an egg milk wash then back into the flour.. really rubbing to get the flour in side the cuts.. this helps create a crispy crust. Gravy is a blk pepper pork gravy!!

I prefer to dip to keep the crust intacted.. sorry I was out of potatoes :(

8004493066_57ec75a4ca_h.jpg

Its good to have Morels

Last night:

8006181234_aafd32b7cb_z.jpg

Watermelon, feta cheese and tomato salad

A variation on my usual "watermelon and feta cheese salad", this has grape tomatoes and the addition of scallions as a substitute for the usual red onion. Dressing consists of 2 tablespoons watermelon juice, 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar, a pinch of sea salt, a pinch of black pepper, 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil and some chopped Italian parsley.

8006181030_4fdd6372c5_z.jpg

Penne puttanesca

After my eel smoking adventure last weekend, i think i may have created one of the most awesome combinations ever - salt cod and smoked eel. At first I made Spanish style croquettas with crispy panko breadcrumbs:

20120919e.JPG

It was muy bueno, but I got a bit fed up with making them half way through because it was quite a loose mixture and they're a bit fiddly to form. I had some flour and egg left so mixed it in and dumped it in the fridge. The next day I folded in some beaten egg white and deep-fried them as fritters, served on top pureed beetroot and creme fraiche with caraway, and good glug of aberquina olive oil. This may be the best tapas style dish I've ever made, if not eaten:

20120920c%2520copy.jpg

If you can get your hands on some smoked eel, I urge you all to try this. There is something amazing about the combination, especially the hint of caraway which marries Northern and Southern European flavours into one dish. To further boost the rich flavour I scraped the eel fat from the inside of the skin and added it to the mix. The fish equivalent of Iberico ham fat!

P9168972.JPG

8008206435_49b1d29777_z.jpg

Pane, burro e acciughe

8008208076_baca6d08e9_z.jpg

Spaghetti con le sedano

It's not so strange. Once you learn a few tricks, you can pair pasta with just about any vegetable imaginable.

The celery was simmered in lightly salted water, then fried in olive oil along with garlic, red onion, sea salt, black pepper and Italian parsley.

Lamb shank

dvufol.jpg

Your dishes always look spectacular and the photography is exemplary. But I look at the dishes and think that I'd be looking for a few other courses to make sure my hunger was satiated. Do you cook extra and serve it on the side?

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Prawncrackers, your post had me drooling. What a wonderful idea! Thankfully I don't have to smoke my own eel ... I can buy it pre-smoked! Smoked eel croquettes, here I come!!

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

Lamb shank

dvufol.jpg

Your dishes always look spectacular and the photography is exemplary. But I look at the dishes and think that I'd be looking for a few other courses to make sure my hunger was satiated. Do you cook extra and serve it on the side?

This was just how I chose to present one of the shanks at the table. There was more garnish served (leeks, carrots, radish) as well as some swiss chard and mashed potatoes on the side.

robirdstx: Yar! turkey/potas/gravy etc is the best! I had my first fall dinner, just like that about a week ago. another tonight!

I SV the turkey thighs at 160 for 24. how about you? I have about 8 in the freezer and more to be done!

robirdstx: Yar! turkey/potas/gravy etc is the best! I had my first fall dinner, just like that about a week ago. another tonight!

I SV the turkey thighs at 160 for 24. how about you? I have about 8 in the freezer and more to be done!

rotuts, I pan roast the thighs at 350 degrees F for about an hour and a half, basting occasionally.

TurkeyThighsInPan.jpg

Two recent dinners. First, breakfast for dinner.

IMG_1714-Edit+sRGB.jpg

IMG_1716-Edit+sRGB.jpg

monkey bread french toast, brown butter solids, peaches and cream, bruleed bourbon candied peaches

Then another attempt at pulled noodles, plated two different ways.

IMG_1691-Edit+sRGB.jpg

IMG_1683-Edit+sRGB.jpg

pulled noodles, pickled mushroom, ox tail broth, quail egg, bok choy, lotus root

Andrew Vaserfirer aka avaserfi

Host, eG Forums

avaserfirer@egstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory

Simple stuff for a weeknight meal: Grilled sirloin burger with heirloom tomato, arugula, "Toscano" cheese, aioli garlic mustard. The "fries" (roast acorn squash with thyme and rosemary from the patio) were delicious. All the vegetables were from my CSA; mustard and cheese from Trader Joe's.

8005203936_bf7f45c45e_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

Cheers guys, preparing eels is still somewhat outside of my comfort zone so it's nice to make something really good out of them. It's been quite a fishy week, I roasted some bream at the start of week. It was filleted and smeared with a black olive tapenade and wrapped in prosciutto. Served with heirloom tomatoes, basil, figs and some plain orzo pasta:

20120911b.JPG

Some steamed lemon sole with lap cheung and mushroom behind this big plate of dried fried green beans and pork:

20120918b.JPG

and finally some Lobster Thermidor tonight:

20120921b.jpg