• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

SobaAddict70 – striking plating, Hiyayakko tofu and Shredded chicken.

Prawncrackers – super beautiful Gamberi Bucatini alla Puttanesca!

liuzhou – very nice Roast duck leg. Is there anything in common, five spice powder vs 7 spice powder?

Kim – you make everything dilishous thing looks so easy. I can never make that Ham and Gruyere quiche as good as yours.

C. sapidus – Amazing looking rice.

robirdstx – very nice Grilled Beef Rib Eye salad.

patrickamory – Beautiful photos, especially the pork chops.

sapidus – not bad leftover dish of shrimp scampi. Mrs. C’s rice and an edamame, corn, onion, and tomato salad is not too shabby either.

Mm84321 – amazing braised Pork neck

----------------------------------------------------------------

Sashimi tonight.

dcarch

ff5a6a18.jpg

4af22bde.jpg

Hello e-gullet friends. Greetings from Brazil. I've been away for a few weeks in process of relocating from US to Brazil as part of a new work assignment. I will be sharing my culinary findings in Brazil from now on as my wife and I settle down here. My cooking gadgets are somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean being shipped to my new home in Brazil but I've already managed to started cooking down here starting this past weekend during a trip to the coast with friends. Let's go to what matters:

Sole Ceviche / Ceviche de Linguado

539438101510851476199831667409-L.jpg

Salted Shrimp / Camarão à Paulista

396444101510851561949838252970-L.jpg

Seafood Gumbo / Caldeirada

580078101510866189899838834852-L.jpg

* Edited for a typo.

Edited by Xilimmns (log)

Xilimmns – Nice seafood! Near the coast in Brazil, presumably?

ScottyBoy – Those flavors sound like they would go very well together

Chicken sorta-Panang curry with Thai basil and mild chiles from the garden, onions, red curry paste, fish sauce, and crushed peanuts. Served with jasmine rice and green salad.

With the first cool days of late summer, time is growing short when I can pick chiles and basil outside the back door. Sigh.

p1113931980-4.jpg

It feels good to be back on this thread. Gorgeous food as usual - mm84321's avocado roulade looks delicate and refreshing; C sapidus' Panang curry is mouthwatering (is this hard to make? I looove Panang curry); ScottyBoy's whole seabream is rustic and refined at the same time, the type of food I always crave for.

Giant backlog alert! Sorry for the flood of pictures, but here are some of my August dinner meals.

Pasta alla Norma, aka eggplant sauce. Based on a recipe from Jamie Oliver. Pretty good, but the eggplant took forever to cook.

7689284504_6a79b9bba5_z.jpg

Roasted Brussels sprouts from my CSA with shallots and prosciutto.

Before

7737928554_47c72ebf7e.jpg

After

7737926586_1be3bae654_z.jpg

A little sandwich with leftover merguez, crusty baguette, garlic mustard, arugula and cotija cheese (this may have been lunch).

7737928980_2810eac756_z.jpg

A chopped cucumber and tomato salad with plenty of mint from the garden...

7904200048_0bb606d042_z.jpg

... followed by this delicious Mahi mahi with creme fraiche and Meyer lemon salsa, fingerling peewee potatoes (a slightly simplified version of the recipe from Lucques).

7904396438_9583a35e67_z.jpg

The most succulent lamb I've had in a while - from a local butcher shop, Homegrown Meats - with a little bit of pesto, asparagus & fresh goat cheese.

7911120434_fd19de19c2_z.jpg

Opah with beurre blanc Les Halles; red chard with olive oil and garlic (a la April Bloomfield).

7953519398_6bb9b29078_z.jpg

It's been a good month! :smile:

photos are much improved, Patrick. kudos.

great meals, all.

last night:

7978742245_b34be0556b_z.jpg

Salmon roe and Persian cucumber salad

Behold my failed attempt at trying to brunoise cucumber and onion.

7978742767_f463828a7f_z.jpg

Left: Broccoli con aglio e acciughe

Right: Scalloped tomatoes

The tomatoes feature croutons made by frying bread cubes from a baguette in schmaltz, then combined with tomatoes, red onion, basil, sea salt, black pepper, olive oil and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, and baked at 350 F for 30 minutes. Kind of like a "hot panzanella" but the proportion of tomato to bread definitely favors the former.

Recipe for the salmon roe salad: http://www.food52.com/recipes/18770_salmon_roe_and_cucumber_salad and for the scalloped tomatoes: http://www.food52.com/blog/4369_sarah_leah_chases_scalloped_tomatoes. Note that my version of the tomatoes differs slightly from the recipe in the link.

C. sapidus and rod rock -- you're both too kind. thank you.

hi Shane. here are photos which document my preferred method for making roasted potatoes. for the version I did recently, I used 2 large unpeeled Yukon Gold potatoes cut into wedges or quarters. I didn't par-boil them; also the marinade consisted of 1/4 cup olive oil, the juice of 3 lemons, 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, a pinch each of sea salt and black pepper:

15 baby Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled(1)

kosher salt

olive oil

1 tablespoon fresh rosemary

1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped

freshly milled black pepper

(1)if you use larger-sized potatoes, you will have to adjust the par-boiling time and the roasting time. In addition, you may have to slice them into more manageable pieces.

Place the potatoes in a saucepan with some cold water, and a generous pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain into a colander; potatoes should be barely cooked through. Place potatoes in a bowl and pour enough olive oil to cover them by half way. Add rosemary and sage. Stir, then set aside. Let the potatoes marinate in the olive oil for about 15 to 20 minutes.

6758727577_61c84e25f9_z.jpg

When you’re ready to proceed, pre-heat the oven to 350 F. Season the potatoes with salt and pepper. Arrange them in a Pyrex baking dish or roasting pan.

6758727961_75635f96a7_z.jpg

Roast the potatoes at 350 F for 30 minutes. Give the potatoes a stir once or twice to ensure that they brown evenly on all sides. When potatoes are done, transfer to a warmed serving platter. You’ll want to serve these as soon as you are able, since the longer they sit, the sooner they’ll lose their crisped coating.

Time: About one hour and 15 minutes, including prep.

6758728411_c79ba2f131_z.jpg

6758727759_06e5b65da5_z.jpg

Clockwise from top rightSquid, poached in Spanish olive oil, with garlic, lemon and bay leaf; cabbage braised in French butter; crisped roasted potatoes

We had fish last night with this black gill rockcod with passion-fruit ginger sauce and roasted cauliflower. The fish was grilled, and the cauliflower was roasted in the oven. The sauce was somewhat unfortunate despite my best efforts. The passion fruit did not work well with the other flavors.

7981685003_8cf65d84e4_z.jpg