• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

The naan wasn't nearly as scary to make as I thought it would be. However, I'm not sure if it's too thick or too thin or just right? I've never seen it in real life before.

butter chicken and naan 001.jpg

What recipe did you use? I've seen naan with parts as thick as yours, but not with the same consistent thickness. Yours looks a bit heavy compared to what I'm used to. The picture at the top of the wiki page looks more like what I've had http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naan but I don't know if you'd be able to get naan like that without a tandoor or other very hot oven/grill (BGE would be good, I would think).

But if it tasted good, that's really all that counts!

I finally made butter chicken and naan last night. Thank you so much to all of the people that helped me on the Fenugreek seed thread! I've never cooked this kind of food before. OMG the butter chicken was flavored soooooo.....DEEP. The sauce was so rich that you got full after just a few bites. I might have had more for breakfast this morning. :blush: I wonder is butter chicken one of those dishes that varies from house to house? I think some chunks of peppers and onions would be good in there, too, along with the ones that got blended up for the sauce.

The naan wasn't nearly as scary to make as I thought it would be. However, I'm not sure if it's too thick or too thin or just right? I've never seen it in real life before.

Congratulations Shelby !!!! Looks real good to me. I've had naan that thick, and I've also had it thin and lacy. I think a lot depends upon if it was cooked in a tandoor (thin & lacy) versus fat & puffy in an oven. Mine usually turn out about the same thickness as pita bread. Even the commercial ones (not from a restauraunt) are about the same thickness. Maybe roll a bit thinner next time. Did you bake them on a stone? That helps with the texture as well.

I've not seen peppers in murgh makhani before, but again, if it tastes good to you, do it. It might not be 100% authentic, but oh well. FYI, I've not seen a lot of sweet peppers ("bells") in many Indian dishes. They tend to lean more towards the chile pepper end of the spectrum. Good introduction to Indian food, yes? Now you need to try some chicken tikka masala, and some dal, and some saag paneer, and some raita, and some cilantro chutney, and some pilaf.....I could go on forever. Indian cuisine is my favorite.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

C. sapidus – wonderful Grilled ribeyes salad.

Scottyboy – Very appetizing fried Cod. Heart attack? It’s worth it.

Kim – You are really an amazing cook. Such variety of great meals. Everything you make looks so inviting. Love that Tex-Mex Chicken Crunchies.

Panaderia Canadiense – Truly decadent Beefy-cheesy-noodly casserole.

Soba – luscious Pollo alla cacciatora. Simple Warm green bean and potato salad, but elegantly plated.

Avaserfi – nice plating.

Shelby – I think you naan bread looks great.

Mm8431 – sophisticate dishes as usual.

David Ross – That is a very interesting sauce, Miso Peanut, sounds delicious.

Robirdstx – Your Cajun Spiced Grilled Chicken Salad makes a fantastic summer dinner.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few recent dishes;

dcarch

Sous Vide Boneless Short Ribs with Chanterelle Mushroom Sauce

7cc327fe.jpg

c823c8d2.jpg

Why not Bacon With Spicy Salmon Sushi Roll?

f6497c9c.jpg

814ae9da.jpg

BLT without Bread. (T and L from my garden)

193ee15b.jpg

0c3dce41.jpg

Shelby – I’m very impressed that you made your own naan! I actually LIKE naan (unfortunately it is the ONLY Indian food that I’ve ever tasted that I liked :sad: ).

robirdstx – your salads always look so wonderful.

dcarch – your short ribs look fantastic – I am so ready for fall food. But, those tomatoes make me wish for endless summer – just incredible.

Dinner tonight:

med_gallery_3331_114_178199.jpg

Chicken and waffles, mac and cheese and baked beans. Everything but the waffles were leftovers :rolleyes: . The chicken is mine from the fantasy football draft party and the beans and mac and cheese are my mother’s and a friend’s from yesterday’s cook out. Great dinner!

Can you please elaborate on eggplant part of the dish? I am always looking for fun different things to do with eggplant.

Sure. You peel and slice eggplant 3mm thick (I used a mandoline), salt and pepper, and brown each side in olive oil. Let them drain of excess oil on a rack in the oven. Working on aluminum foil, cut and lay a slice of eggplant into a rectangular shaped mold (it's important that you grease the molds with some olive oil), then sprinkle on a thin layer of toasted, crushed pine nuts. Repeat until you reach the top of the mold. At this point, they can be chilled until service. Rewarm them in a low oven, and carefully unmold onto plates. Here they are topped with a brunoise of olives, tomato confit, red peppers, lemon segments, lemon peel, capers, more pine nuts, basil, chives, and finally fried onions.

For the labor day cookout, I was only responsible for bringing a side - and I was craving spicy...

I decided to make habanero-stuffed-jalapenos (sounded like a great idea at midnight). My idea was to make a pate of bacon & spicy goodness for the inside, rather than the traditional bacon wrapped around the outside of the pepper.

I fried 1lb of bacon, then fried garlic (one head) & sliced habaneros (1 dozen) in the bacon fat (yes, my throat is still burning from the fumes, but boy did it smell good!)

Then bacon, garlic, habanero and cilantro into the blender, plus three packages of cream cheese. It made a wonderful tasting, spicy paste that piped easy into the cored jalapeños. I pre-boiled the jalapenos in salt water to soften them a bit (not enough, though). Topped them with cheddar and baked at 350 for a while (15 min?).

The results were less than satisfactory. The paste was delicious (I saved the leftovers) and the peppers good - but it just didn't mix well. The two textures were too dissimilar to make a sensible combo.

Oh well, better luck next time...

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

A deceptively simple sounding chicken and egg tagine from Paula Wolfert's clay pot cooking. It's not simple, but it's well worth it. The sauce becomes a custard that coats the chicken like velvet. And unlike many tagines, the chicken itself becomes broiled and crispy.

It took me 4 hours rather than the 2 specified in the recipe, but was well worth it.

chicken_egg_tagine.jpg

Very nice, Patrick.

7935154090_939294f286_z.jpg

Hiyayakko tofu, pickled red onion, scallion

Leftover pollo alla cacciatora re-imagined as:

7935154728_cb07096e30_z.jpg

Shredded chicken with tomato and porcini mushroom sauce, Greek lemon potatoes

Those potatoes were amazing -- crispy exterior, creamy interior. A marinade in olive oil and lemon juice probably helped.

Soba: Beautiful pictures as usual, but your Greek lemon potatoes sound especially appealing

Patrick and Douglas: Your chicken/egg dish and the sashimi look completely delectable

Dcarch: Gorgeous and delectable, what’s not to like?

Baby back ribs last night; Mrs. C made rice and an edamame, corn, onion, and tomato salad.

p1099960042-4.jpg

Nice Bruce, i'm always stuck for something to go with ribs and I like to look of that salad. What kind of rice did Mrs C make? I usually do a Mexican style green rice to go with que.

Prawns with Whore's Pasta, though Gamberi Bucatini alla Puttanesca sounds much better! Both taste wonderful:

20120904c.JPG

What kind of rice did Mrs C make? I usually do a Mexican style green rice to go with que.

Thanks, Prawn, arroz verde sounds good with ribs. Mrs. C prefers higher-protein rice, so she made a package of “quinoa & brown rice with garlic” from Seeds of Change.

Prawns with Whore's Pasta, though Gamberi Bucatini alla Puttanesca sounds much better!

Nice! Yes, things always sound classier in another language. I had a music appreciation teacher who pointed out that Giuseppe Verde = Joe Green.

Latest from the "Pizzas that will kill you" series :laugh:

Bacon cheeseburger pie

bcbpie.jpg

Orange death on top made the pizza :blush:

pizzalove.jpg

Very tasty

Shane

Looks FANTASTIC! What did you use for sauce? The ones I've had always use a mustard base that is good, but I think I'd like some kind of tomato base better.