• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

We had a couple of rainy days, and I was craving Corn and Roasted Green Chile soup, so here we are, shooting from the hip:

Started by frying up 1lb of bacon (Bar-S smoked, my favorite since childhood!) - toss the bacon into the stock pot, save the fat.

Deep fry rough chopped garlic (1 clove) in the bacon fat. I'll tell you right now there is no more heavenly scent on planet earth! Toss the garlic & fat into the stock pot.

Add two large potatoes, peeled and rough chopped.

Two cups of Chicken bouillon, a small handful of cilantro, and one whole roasted green chile (from my batch last year that I froze).

Here's the rough ingredients in the pot before the corn:

IMG_2428.jpeg

Add 4lbs of frozen corn and simmer for about 4 hours:

IMG_2429.jpeg

Blend and strain twice (it's amazing how much 'roughage' from the corn you can strain out):

IMG_2430.jpeg

Add whole milk, a bit of cumin, salt & pepper, simmer to heat up (the next day) and serve with Crema Mexicana & Cilantro garnish:

IMG_2431.jpeg

This was one of my favorite meals in a month or more, glorious flavor. All five of the mini-meshuganas gave it high marks as well!

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

Some recent stuff from dinner this past week. Not pictured is spaghetti with summer vegetables (zucchini, tomato and onion) with pecorino.

Lately I've been exploring contorni so I can broaden my horizons.

7823484548_f51615e836_z.jpg

Olives, cippolini onion, lemon and mint

7823484100_5f493229b5_z.jpg

Zucchine con acciughe e capperi

7829401672_94e523d532_z.jpg

Fagiolini e zucchine

7829401302_43d3174650_z.jpg

Spaghetti with white clam sauce

:smile:

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

. . . Corn and Roasted Green Chile soup . . . All five of the mini-meshuganas gave it high marks as well!

Sounds like the mini-meshuganas have good taste - corn and green chile is a magical combination

PanCan: Thanks! Try to stay out of the way of pyroclastic flows

Dong an (vinegar) chicken: Cornish game hens, actually – poached in stock, shredded, and stir-fried with dried chiles, Sichuan peppercorns, Shaoxing wine, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and slivered ginger, scallions, and bird chiles. Recipe from Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook. Jasmine rice.

p757025283-4.jpg

Tomato and cucumber gazpacho, courtesy of Mrs. C. Variations of this are a staple during tomato season. Made a nice lunch the next day, too.

p741376560-4.jpg

Tonight, my first time in ages making Sichuanese food.

Kung pao chicken (from Land of Plenty)

528102_809971748331_234849796_n.jpg

Tiger skin peppers made with shishitos that I found (never seen them for sale before)

539084_809971768291_1563752153_n.jpg

Steamed broccolini, with oyster sauce and drizzled with garlic oil (or whatever it's called)

558403_809971788251_2046688076_n.jpg

Not shown, rice, of course, as well as a huge heirloom tomato sliced up on the side for refreshing contrast

Thanks, patrick. I should mention that's not a traditional prep -- it had 1/2 tbsp. unsalted butter stirred in at the end. otherwise fairly straightforward: olive oil, garlic, canned clams, parsley, white wine, sea salt, black pepper, cooked spaghetti.

for tonight, leftover spaghetti, but there were these as well:

023-001.JPG

Insalata di zucchini e pomodoro

Simmer zucchini in lightly salted water, then blanch in ice water, then drain. Combine with chopped tomatoes and baby arugula. Taste for salt and pepper, then dress with extra-virgin olive oil and 1 teaspoon vinegar (white wine vinegar, balsamic or sherry vinegar). Serve at once.

089-001.JPG

Fagiolini e patate

Boil green beans and peeled sliced potatoes in the same pot, in some lightly salted water, then drain. Next, heat some chopped garlic and olive oil in a skillet; when garlic becomes off-white (after about 30 to 40 seconds), add the green beans and potatoes, along with a pinch of salt and pepper. Fry until potatoes become golden brown. Taste once more for salt and pepper, sprinkle lemon juice and parsley over the vegetables and serve immediately.

PastaMeshugana – beautiful soup! I’m really craving corn soup lately and that looks so delicious!

Soba – the olive and onion mixture looks so good! Is it served cold/room temp? I have such a hard time finding cippolinis – they are some of my favorite onions to cook with so when I see them I grab them.

Bruce – please tell Mrs. C that her gazpacho is gorgeous!!

Robirdstx – that salad looks great. Funny – a week or so ago I saw “shrimp and chicken salad” on a menu and was perplexed. Did they mean cooked shrimp and chicken chunks on a green salad (like yours, which I like the looks of) or mixed chicken and shrimp in a mayo-based salad (which sounds kind of gross to me). Never did find out because I ordered something different. I like yours, though!

Dinner last night:

med_gallery_3331_114_55774.jpg

Pork tenderloin with mustard-cream sauce, Marlene’s crispy smashed potatoes, Brussels sprouts and red cabbage. The pork was a recipe from epicurious.com. Very easy – just browned the pork and then roasted. The sauce is made very quickly while the pork is roasting with shallots, wine, chicken broth, Dijon and cream. It gave a lot of good flavor to sometimes bland pork tenderloin. The cabbage is an old favorite from “The New Basics Cookbook”.

hi Kim. yes, they're served room temp. you can make it as is, or a day ahead so that the flavors blend. edit: the recipe will be on the blog later this weekend, by the way.

last night -- and I made way too much as usual, but that's okay, as I love homemade Indian food (for that, leftovers are most welcome, indeed):

7844911900_147a2f9615_z.jpg

Chana masala, coconut rice, zucchini and scallion raita

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

Robirdstx – that salad looks great. Funny – a week or so ago I saw “shrimp and chicken salad” on a menu and was perplexed. Did they mean cooked shrimp and chicken chunks on a green salad (like yours, which I like the looks of) or mixed chicken and shrimp in a mayo-based salad (which sounds kind of gross to me). Never did find out because I ordered something different. I like yours, though!

Thanks Kim. I was disappointed recently when I ordered a grilled shrimp salad and the shrimp was grilled but chilled. I like the shrimp and/or chicken to be freshly cooked and still warm, so I made it myself!

Family requested a repeat of a previous meal and I have posted pictures before so none this time. We had grilled Cuban steak with chimichurri sauce, nopalitos with onions and tomatoes, broiled tomatoes and fried sweet potatoes. Garden fresh tomatoes were halved, cored, salted and peppered, topped with kerry gold butter and fresh bread crumbs then a little more butter and grilled briefly.

Nice looking chana masala Soba - what recipe did you use, if I may ask? I've been making rather a study of chana masala lately.

Deb's recipe here -- http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2010/02/chana-masala/

I made a few substitutions since I have an Indian pantry -- ghee for oil, 1 teaspoon panch phoran and amchoor for the lemon juice. I skipped the paprika and garam masala.

I love cilantro, so added that in at the end.

There must be about a 100 incredible dishes for me to comment on since I last posted here. I will just admire and drooooool!!!

A few recent ones.

dcarch

Chanterelle Mushrooms and Sous Vide Sea Scallops

265db50c.jpg

917edfab.jpg

Soft Shell Crabs

b2336cc7.jpg

1a145fe0.jpg

Sous Vide Pork Tender Loin on Risotto and Watermelon Rind

b12da8a9.jpg

f26c7846.jpg

Been a busy Summer at work and I haven't done as much cooking as I would have liked, but tonight I got back at it. Fried Oysters, Hominy and Grilled Red Onion Salad, Remoulade Sauce-

014.JPG